Balule in Kruger National Park routes and water holes

Default Balule in Kruger National Park routes and water holes

Good day

As stated in the previous thread we have a booking for September 2020 in Balule.

Thank you again for all the advice we got on Balule as well as Tsendze.

I would please like to ask for recommendations on the following:

• Which are good routes to explore around Balule?
    • Which are good watering holes to stop and spent time at?

Regards
    Adriaan

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adriaan 1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Balule in Kruger National Park routes and water holes

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan 1 View Post
    Good day

As stated in the previous thread we have a booking for September 2020 in Balule.

Regards
    Adriaan
    The one way dirt road from the H1-4 to the S89 Ngotso Weir
    Last edited by richarda; 2020/05/03 at 08:44 PM.
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richarda For This Useful Post:

Cyan Route.
    Out Balule, cross over the bridge, left towards the H1-5 head up to Letaba. Take the H9 then the S-131 and loop around taking in Mingerhout Dam. Back along the S47, right onto the H1-6 down to the S9 and then onto the S94 and then the S44 then the S93 back to Olifants and then back to Balule.

Magenta Route.
    Figure of 8 is self-explanatory.

Green Route.
    Out of Balule, turn away from the bridge and travel until the S89 where you can only turn right, travel until cross over the H1-4 and proceed on the S39 all the way down to S127 where you turn left towards the H1-4. Turn south on the H1-4 until you get to the S90 and follow that all the way back to Balule.

Dark Route.
    Out of Balule, turn away from the bridge and travel until the S89 where you can only turn right, travel until the H1-4 and proceed south until the H6 the N’Wanetsi Road. At N’Wanetsi head north again on the S41 which then joins the S90 and then back to Balule.

Check it out as there are picnic spots and bird hides along these routes.

Name:  Kruger.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  85.5 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Thimbivati picnic spot. All along river.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to desdrake For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Cyan Route.
    Out Balule, cross over the bridge, left towards the H1-5 head up to Letaba. Take the H9 then the S-131 and loop around taking in Mingerhout Dam. Back along the S47, right onto the H1-6 down to the S9 and then onto the S94 and then the S44 then the S93 back to Olifants and then back to Balule.

Magenta Route.
    Figure of 8 is self-explanatory.

Green Route.
    Out of Balule, turn away from the bridge and travel until the S89 where you can only turn right, travel until cross over the H1-4 and proceed on the S39 all the way down to S127 where you turn left towards the H1-4. Turn south on the H1-4 until you get to the S90 and follow that all the way back to Balule.

Dark Route.
    Out of Balule, turn away from the bridge and travel until the S89 where you can only turn right, travel until the H1-4 and proceed south until the H6 the N’Wanetsi Road. At N’Wanetsi head north again on the S41 which then joins the S90 and then back to Balule.

Check it out as there are picnic spots and bird hides along these routes.

Name:  Kruger.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  85.5 KB
    Andrew
    Thank you very much for the you trouble you took to mark and describe the routes for us, we sincerely appreciate your help.
    Regards
    Adriaan

True story, and I challenge you to try it out.

I was taking colleagues from the U.K. through the park and we were approaching Olifants Camp on the S44 gravel road. I am well versed in all the common birds, mammals etc. versed enough to make the trip interesting for any visitor so I had already established my credentials as "game guide". Also when it comes to the park I can recollect roads, potions of roads, things seen (passionate about the park). As we were approaching a specific spot in the road I recollected it being a low level bridge that when one parked on the bridge, and there was water in the stream, that the Marsh Terrapins would always swim towards the car (I think people feed them). So taking a chance I told the 3 visitors in the car to roll down their windows, to be very silent as I was going to try call the Terrapins.

So we approach the bridge with caution, I stop and turn the engine of an start making a soft whistling sound. True to form, and not through any thing that I did, the Terrapins approach the car. The occupants were impressed beyond imagination and could not stop talking about it. They called me the Turtle Whisperer . That night around the braai and after a couple of drinks I confessed, we all had a great laugh.

Try it out on the family, you got nothing to lose.

When you leave Olifants Camp reset your odometer to 0km's at the gate. Travel out on the tar road and take the S44 gravel road. Exactly 3km's from the gate is the bridge so be warned. Go pull one over the family.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsh Terrapins.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	570158
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2020/05/04 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Grammar

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan 1 View Post
    Good day

Regards
    Adriaan
    Bangu waterhole is best early in the morning ..10 kms down the S90 from Balule..As a serious photographer ..I mainly go there only and stay that is if I am staying at Balule ..Staying at Tsendze I go to Grootvlei dam and stay the morning normally on my own and I see great stuff there like these lions I had for 3 early mornings running as per this pic ....and was the only person on the planet to see them on those days Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groot Vlei Dam Wall Cat Fight.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	414.8 KB 
ID:	570160 ..instead of roaring around the Park Willy Nilly
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2020/05/04 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    True story, and I challenge you to try it out.

I was taking colleagues from the U.K. through the park and we were approaching Olifants Camp on the S44 gravel road. I am well versed in all the common birds, mammals etc. versed enough to make the trip interesting for any visitor so I had already established my credentials as "game guide". Also when it comes to the park I can recollect roads, potions of roads, things seen (passionate about the park). As we were approaching a specific spot in the road I recollected it being a low level bridge that when one parked on the bridge, and there was water in the stream, that the Marsh Terrapins would always swim towards the car (I think people feed them). So taking a chance I told the 3 visitors in the car to roll down their windows, to be very silent as I was going to try call the Terrapins.

So we approach the bridge with caution, I stop and turn the engine of an start making a soft whistling sound. True to form, and not through any thing that I did, the Terrapins approach the car. The occupants were impressed beyond imagination and could not stop talking about it. They called me the Turtle Whisperer . That night around the braai and after a couple of drinks I confessed, we all had a great laugh.

Try it out on the family, you got nothing to lose.

When you leave Olifants Camp reset your odometer to 0km's at the gate. Travel out on the tar road and take the S44 gravel road. Exactly 3km's from the gate is the bridge so be warned. Go pull one over the family.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsh Terrapins.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	570158
    Hi Andrew, thank you very much for sharing this wonderful story and giving me all the detail to experience it myself with the family. I am surely going to call the Terrapins ! I appreciate the trouble you took every time to show where the routes are and again with this "Terrapin" bridge.
    Regards
    Adriaan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Bangu waterhole is best early in the morning ..10 kms down the S90 from Balule..As a serious photographer ..I mainly go there only and stay that is if I am staying at Balule ..Staying at Tsendze I go to Grootvlei dam and stay the morning normally on my own and I see great stuff there like these lions I had for 3 early mornings running as per this pic ....and was the only person on the planet to see them on those days Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groot Vlei Dam Wall Cat Fight.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	414.8 KB 
ID:	570160 ..instead of roaring around the Park Willy Nilly
    Peter, thank you for pointing out the the two waterholes. We will certainly spent time at Bangu. We also prefer to spent long hours at a waterhole / drive alongside a river now and then. YOu are certainly a serious photographer, that picture is beautiful.
    Regards
    Adriaan