Camping prices in Botswana is ridiculous - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Camping prices in Botswana is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    The OP is referring to Moremi and Chobe. The DWPN run campsites in Moremi and Chobe are:

1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?

Boat cruises in Moremi, which he is also referring to, is pretty much standard rates.

And I am sorry, the DWNP run sites in the CKGR are simply not the prime campsites with maybe the exception of the Kori sites.

Bottom line, if one wants to camp in prime areas, you will pay the price. And as KS rightly said, try Zambia if you want to see steep prices.
    I do not dispute that about Moremi and Chobe, BUT

Of ten nights, I will try and book a maximum of 3 or 4 in privately run campsites, the rest in DWNP campsites. This alone will bring costs down drastically

I do not see the frenzy about the camp inside Chobe, Ihaha, it is extremely poorly run, has no really appealing campsites, all out in the open with very little in the way of shelter from wind or sun, a view of Namibian farm animals walking around and bellowing (just 100m ahead of you), across the river, it is extremely filthy, the ablutions are so poor I would rather heat my water in a kettle and bath behind my vehicle out of a bucket. I would rather camp in the Chobe Safari Lodge's lovely shady campsite against the Chobe Reserve's fence and hear and see many animals from there at night.

*** A trip to Botswana I will do like this, taking in many of the best places: ***

One night at Khama Rhino Sanctuary

Then off to CKGR for 6 or 7 nights
    3 nights- A Kori campsite for 3 nights,
    1 night Sundays Pan or Passarge camp and
    2 or 3 nights in another Kori campsite works for me....

I always see cheetah and Lion and around Kori, Deception Pan or Leopard Pan and often Wild Dog around the pan near Sunday's Pan Campsites.

Moremi - 3 or 4 nights
    One night Audi Camp while stocking up in Maun,
    One night Moremi South Camp, one night 3rd Bridge, then all the way up, through Linyati (maybe one night there)
    One night Muchenje

3 nights Kasane - arrive around lunchtime.
    1st day food shopping, Burgers & Chips meal on the verandah of Chobe Safari Lodge. Then late afternoon go to Chobe Park gate to buy permits for next day. Option of evening Romantic dinner on a boat on the chobe river (book at CSL)
    2nd Day 6am entry into park, drive along river edge get to the Ngoma Bridge end by 12h00, return to Kasane, lunch, rest 3pm using same one day permit, take boat trip from 15h00 to 18h00 on Chobe into Chobe GR side of river.
    3rd Day - Day trip to Victoria Falls, either own vehicle of OSV as passengers

Return home (OR TAKE IN 2 nights in Hwange National Park (Pandamatenga entry) before continuing toward Francistown)

Restful morning - leave Kasane mid morning sleep over one of 3 places:
    1. near Nata, a. Elephant Sands, or 70km further at b. Nata Lodge (nice oxtail dinner in dining room) or
    2. near Francistown at Bushbuck Agricamp.

From Francistown you can reach Jhb or Pta on last day, but you have option to stay over somewhere in Limpopo, around Modimolle or Bela Bela.

Cheap 12 to 14 day holiday taking in all the great sites of middle and north eastern Botswana.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/05/03 at 01:43 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Thank you MV.
    I definitely need to relook at something like this to reduce costs.
    Can you recommend any community camp sites close to Northgateun Moremi. And what do they typically charge and what facilities do they offer.
    Thank you everyone else for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneMan View Post
    Can you recommend any community camp sites close to Northgateun Moremi. And what do they typically charge and what facilities do they offer.
    Everybody outside Northgate knows that the possibilities the are limited and everybody is climbing on the "Rip Off" bandwagon.

That said, at least their offerings surpass everything the the private operator of the campsite just inside Northgate offers.

Mankwe Bush Lodge & Campsite (not quite at Kwai, but not too far away)
    Email: [email protected] - [email protected] - Phone: +267 686 5788 GPS: 19 21 46.38 S / 23 53 46.43 E . Mankwe is 1 hour from either South & North Gates the Moremi. Mankwe Bush Lodge is located on the eastern edge of the Okavango Delta. Each campsite can take 10 guests in one group and 3 or 4 vehicles, and one large site up to 30 people. One campsite is booked per exclusive group. Rates: P195.00 per person per night. Children pay 50% of the rate, plus P10.00 per person per night Government bed levy. The open air (no roof) ablutions are fairly rustic but generally much cleaner than those inside the park. If I remember correctly, they have donkeys that you put in your own wood, and light it to make your own warm water.

The only other option is Mbudi Campsite, one I will avoid if possible, only because it is more than just pricey and I don't think worth the money they demand but there is not much else that is even slightly affordable!! It is close the Moremi Game Reserve Northgate, outside the Park .

Mbudi Campsite is EXPENSIVE!!! - about P450 pppn – but all other Khwai accommodation even more so!.
    [email protected] - Phone: +26772591337 or +26773681757, ask for Jane - GPS - S19 05 56.9 - E23 47 21.4 https://www.facebook.com/mbudikhwai2017/ - 11km and 16min NE of Moremi North Gate.
    The campground is under large trees next to a tributary of the Mbudi River in the Khwai area. The camp offers a beautiful nature experience with animals free to roam through the area. Elephant or hippo and also predators like the hyena are regular visitors.
    There are 10 slightly private camping spots, along the river and there are 2 exclusive and private sites to choose from with shared ablutions (hot showers and flush toilets).
    Camp # 1 was a bit further away from the ablutions but not a long walk. I would go for this one if you want to be on your own.
    Camp # 2 is close to a noisy water-pump.
    Camp # 3 is closest to ablutions.
    The facilities at Mbudi campground are basic, but cover most of what you need. There are good ablutions and also a tap, but i recommend you take sufficient drinking water and food. Mokoro trips can be arranged from Mbudi camp office.
    Note: there is no electricity here.

Hope you come right at Kwai. I would also suggest you talk to NDM Travel in Maun, tell then what your price range is, hear what they suggest. In fact I would use them to do all your bookings and other on the ground arrangements. He is good and reliable....

Malcolm van Coller.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/05/03 at 09:33 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Roodbol View Post
    Pat n Wolf
    Please help me out with regards to park fees not increased over a looooong time. I remember, not long ago, six to eight months ago, we used to pay per NIGHT in the park, thus arriving at ten in the morning, departing the next day at ten in the morning, 1 Night. Same scenario currently, arriving at ten in the morning, leaving the next day at ten in the morning, AND GOING TO ANOTHER PARK THE SAME DAY, you pay for two days at first park, although only one night, and you pay again for the second day at another park. Where am I missing the non increase in park/vehicle fees? Please correct me, as I might have this completely wrong. (Just asking and corrections , no slandering) Rudy
    I wrote about this in the thread below.
    What happened was, the National Parks ACT stipulated that park entry be charged per day, not per night. So, the officers at reservation and park entrances have be not following that act but charging per night. Then the Director of Tourism made them aware of that omission and they started doing that in June 2019. So, there was NO price hike, it was just correction of the Law which was there already there.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Thank you MV

Thank you MV
    Actually if you wat to use initials, it wold be MvC

LOL!!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

At least Bots ask Pulas, in Zambia they charged you USD. Yes its expensive for what you get, in terms of facilities, but this is Africa. Why should they bother, we do it anyway.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    I¬íd rather go to Botswana again than Europe 🤣
    Yes I feel your pain, its ridiculous if you think what you actually get with regards to infrastructure. But they know there will still be a waiting list even if they double the price. Supply and demand...

Whilst acknowledging that prices have risen in Botswana (and in fact, everywhere), the experience is more than worth the price, If you think this is expensive, try the camp sites in Serengeti, Tsavo or other Eastern African parks - they are in the hundreds of US $$$$ a night - no facilities either!

Try the parks in Zim - help their economy, they need it!!

I have been visiting the Okavango and Chobe areas before they were even proclaimed as National Parks - in those days you just tipped your guide what you thought - no camp sites, just free camping! Of course, those days are long gone, but save up your Rands, go visit and enjoy the experience - it's worth every cent!

Paul

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paulcarter747 For This Useful Post:

If you complain about Botswana, prices in Zimbabwe and Zambia is also very high and stay away from Serengeti and Ngoro Goro which is ridiculous.

Thumbs up Re: Camping prices in Botswana is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by vnielsen View Post
    Bots is not interested in you and me... itís the overseas market they are targeting. Those overseas youngsters in those 4x4 rentals rushing from place to place and their older folk who prefer the lodges, all with their foreign currency....that is who they want! Because of our geographical location, over-landing for us will always involve distance. New and more affordable over-landing trips are the countries north of namibia and botswana....they are still happy to see you and your money.....my 2c
    I am of the opinion that this lockdown HAS changed the market in overlanding for the foreseeable future! Flying from overseas is going to be horrendously expensive and the market will struggle - it will either be "adapt or die"! I reckon the prices are going to drop across the board, be patient,give it a few months and lets see then!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vanzie For This Useful Post:

Perhaps after the recession picks up, there wont be enough international tourists to sustain the high prices and it will become viable again for SA overlanders

Quote Originally Posted by vanzie View Post
    I am of the opinion that this lockdown HAS changed the market in overlanding for the foreseeable future! Flying from overseas is going to be horrendously expensive and the market will struggle - it will either be "adapt or die"! I reckon the prices are going to drop across the board, be patient,give it a few months and lets see then!
    You are right, prices might drop to attract local/african travel, if flight from EU/US become very expensive.

Camping prices in Botswana will not change as it is linked to their low volume, high price model. And they will not change the model. In my opinion rightly so.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Soon it could be 'high price/no volume...'

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vanzie View Post
    True and Its already happening Vanzie. The Botswana Tourism Organisation CEO was giving an update last week. They are approaching their members(Onwers of the lodges especially in Okavango and Chobe),with a suggestion, that it will take long for the overseas market to open up. So, her advise was, this lodges should try and develop some kind of package the locals could afford. Weather that will happen, we dont know but its a suggestion BTO felt its members lodges could try maybe just to break even.Its not much in terms of revenue, but it will bring back staff back to work. Europe and America are in pain right now, with stimulus after stimulus to fund business and who would want to holiday when there is no money. So, I totally agree and we hoping for that reduced prices in the delta and Chobe.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2020/05/04 at 10:37 AM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

In the coming year, maybe it would be better to support local?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I was doing a bit of research as Iím keen to go back to Moremi and Chobe for about 10 days at some point in the future. Then, after calculating the costs of the campsite to the private operators, and then also the daily costs to DWNP, its in the region of R1400 a day for my wife and I to camp.
    On top of that is still the fuel costs and any other activities like boats trips at 600 Pula an hour.
    I just cannot afford that....the prices are seriously expensive for camping.
    i understand itís a special experience, but come on !!!
    Iím not Rockefeller, Iím the other fellar. Gone are the days that many overlanders will be able to afford that type of holiday.
    I could probably fly to Europe for a weeks holiday, than it costs to camp in Botswana.
    What are your guys thoughts?
    The private operators (Bigfoot, Intertourism etc) are ridiculously greedy. Avoid them, I say. Let them try to survive on milking wealthy Dollar and Euro spenders - if there are any of those around; and prepared to fly to Africa, after this.

My problem is more the weak Rand. If our Rand can stand stronger against the BwP then a campsite will cost me R300p.p instead of R450.

We have booked and paid 80% of our accommodation in Bots for May this year. All the service providers assured us that we can move our bookings for later even up to next year May.
    We were so looking forward to this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Actually if you wat to use initials, it wold be MvC

LOL!!
    Thank you MvC

30. The Following User Says Thank You to WayneMan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast