Step by Step guide for DIY hybrid inverter with gennie backup installation - please p - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Step by Step guide for DIY hybrid inverter with gennie backup installation - plea

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Interesting - I did not know that.
    I wonder how servicing a transformer can change the voltage?
    Like your car it needs an oil change, periodically
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Step by Step guide for DIY hybrid inverter with gennie backup installation - plea

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Interesting - I did not know that.
    I wonder how servicing a transformer can change the voltage?
    May be the guy checked the contacts on the tap changer which is there to alter the voltage due to line lengths for main transformer. Negligence. He might have forgot to put it back to the original tap. It's like changing the timing on a car and not setting it correct. Or in days gone by adjusting the carb. Or forgetting to add gbox oil like Leon Schuster.

Numbers 3 to 8 refer to the different taps to increase/decrease the voltage on transformers. Very common to have up to a 17 position motorised tap changer that is constantly tapped even under load on big transformers. Normal distribution tap changers are only allowed to change tap when off load as seen below.
    Name:  tap-change.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  23.6 KB
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/05/04 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added picture

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

PRA

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    1) A Victron MPII 3kva is about +-15k - it is approved and it can be grid tied.
    @TTT - where do you normally buy? Or is legit online suppliers at R15k?

Have a look at Exsolar (they are in Somerset-West, but they ship nationwide), their prices (in beginning of March) was up to 40% less than the official victron price list.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
    @TTT - where do you normally buy? Or is legit online suppliers at R15k?
    I know a guy who is a dealer, who sells to select DIY people, people who want to get "into" solar and then learn all they can about the Victron equipment they bought, like in give them a picture, let them then color it in to their liking.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

And were making progress, slow but steady.

Got approval from HOA for the gennie - Gentech GP2000iS

Now for your help please step 1:

1. I assume earth spike I just connect straith to gennie?

2. How to wire extension lead from gennie to changeover switch + add two indicator lights (plan is Blue shows Eskom, and Red gennie). Remembering, I still need to add the hybrid inverter somewhere ... :

Are you not going to indicate with a pilot light when you are on the inverter?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Are you not going to indicate with a pilot light when you are on the inverter?
    Good point, somehow that slipped my mind ... will get another light indicator

Default Step by Step guide for DIY hybrid inverter with gennie backup installation - please p

Morning Morning

So who is going to be brave enough to tell me where I connect the 3 core extension from the gennie

Ive marked the wires & points for easy reference

Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 2020/05/20 at 10:42 AM.

Hi Jacques,

I have not read all the replies yet, but you have to make 100% sure your inverter will work with the generator.
    Not all inverters and generators is made the same.
    To overcome this you could run a battery charger from the genney and connect that to your batteries.

Important to note is that you should not tie your Neutrals together either side of your transfer breaker.
    Your earths can be tied together either side.

So, to look at your picture.
    1 - Mains Live
    2 - Mains Neutral
    3 - Generator Live - C
    4 - Generator Neutral - A
    On the other side of your breaker, you would have 1 & 3 tied together for your Live and 2 & 4 tied for your Neutral.
    Please just confirm all of this with a multi meter before switching on the power.

P.S. The quality from ACDC is not that great, so just be aware of that.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wetkit For This Useful Post:

Dankie Wetkit !

Another question - the switch has 3 positions, Off _ I _ II

The leads then from the switch to the DB board - where does that connect?

With connecting the future Hybrid Inverter + backup batteries (panels much later), where will those wires connect? Assuming that I would want to backup batteries to kick in automatically when there is load sheddin?

And last one - how do I connect the indicator lights to indicate "power source" in use.

Baie dankie

C to 3. A to 4.
    Top left on change over to Live on DB.
    Top right to Neut on DB.
    1 to L of inverter.
    2 to N of inverter.
    One need not to be brave

No auto kick in from bat. You will have to manually switch over to the inverter from the off position during LS.

Bear in mind you have a transfer switch for 1 out to DB from 2 sources. You still have a 3rd source being the grid so I would think you need a second transfer switch.
    Let's hear from the clever experienced members selecting between 3 possible sources.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/05/23 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Tshwane is also known for swapping a life and neutral when replacing stolen/damaged cables.

It blows chargers out of wall plugs, blow up sidewalk transformers and your inverter if you are not lucky
    Oh yes! R86K in damages last time they did that. Insurance covered it though, so got some new stuffs.
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

Morning Ekkekan,

So have you now finished your installation, how does it look and more importantly, is it working?

I have also been investigating power backup options as a DIY, partial DIY and as a fully installed system. It is quite amazing how many components are out there and the terminology / acronyms that are used can confuse the mind - not to mention the different prices.

When I saw this thread, I was hoping that one of the experts would put together a simple guide of the requirements for the different components required, with suggested makes for them and other need to know, eg a pilot light to show when it is operational. I am sure that many more of us will be looking at having to install some form of backup in the coming months. If one the experts can put this together, I know it would be appreciated. The guide should also include rewiring the DB, if required, to get the essential on one line, CoC, separate BD for the DC, circuit breakers, cupboard for the batteries, etc. Then the person can check off what they need and approach one of the suggested / recommended suppliers.

My example:

Requirement is somewhere in the 5kVA region and having always been impressed with the Victron products, I spoke to them as one option and below is what they suggested, I have included the prices as a guide for others:

The Consumables (which is the full AC D/B) can be lowered by almost a R1000, by excluding the change over switch and some breakers.

Seems I have run out of space, so will continue on the next post...

Continued...

This example is a ready to mount on the wall and connect to the mains DB. I also had a look at changing the batteries to Lithium Ion, again there are many different options.

Current Automation has an installers special on at the moment for a complete DC board, had a look and their work is really exceptional.

https://victrondistributors.co.za/1-phase-combos/

Hope this will also be of some assistance to those looking, but still hope that a spec sheet can be drawn up by the experts.

Kind regards

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesV For This Useful Post:

The sad part is there is no real "one size fits all" solution out there.

Just looking at those "off the shelf" Victron solutions, it does not look too bad. But then why do they go with multiple strings of 100AH batteries? COST!!!
    The correct way would be to use larger batteries so you limited to a single string.
    With multiple strings you need to look at battery balancers or otherwise your "investment" would not last.
    2nd, we all know just looking at the voltage on a lead acid battery is only an estimation of the capacity, so why not then also include a battery monitor? COST!!!
    So with these they give you a very good inverter but with watered down secondary equipment.
    Rather do it right the first time or go with a cheap solution like the Axpert.

Steps to Follow:

1. Determine what your needs are.
    2. How much you willing to spend?
    3. Buy a power meter, like Efergy to monitor your consumption for a few months at least. That will guide you if you on the right track.
    4. Get electrician to do an inspection of your house to see what is required for a COC for your existing dwelling.
    5. Get electrician to price on splitting your existing DB into 2 parts, one for backup and one for no backup power. This can take some time as neutral wires is never labeled and to get that resolved takes a long time.
    6. Get them to also install a change-over switch.
    7. At least now your house is sorted and you can legally use a generator if you so require.

8. From your recordings, determine the max draw on your house. This will help size your inverter.
    9. Does your load profile fit solar? Large load between mid morning to early afternoon is ideal.
    10. How much roof space do you have? Does it face the correct way? Roof construction and ease of access?
    11. How much battery capacity do you require?
    12. Battery just for backup power, or used daily? That will determine your battery type.
    13. Work out all the costs and see if you close to your initial estimate.
    14. Going completely off-grid then take the cost and times it by 3.
    15. Is it really worth the investment?
    16. Perhaps look at reducing your consumption as that will lower your initial cost.
    17. Would converting to solar water heater not be better?
    18. Would converting to gas oven and/or water heater not be more economical?
    19. Please look carefully at where you going to install the battery system, as it is a fire risk. With lead acid there is also an explosion and corrosion risk, so think carefully.

If at this stage you still happy to proceed, rather then get a professional solar installer involved.
    You have the power at this stage as you sitting with all the facts and figures and your preparation work was already done, so the costs should be significantly lower.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wetkit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV View Post
    Morning Ekkekan,

So have you now finished your installation, how does it look and more importantly, is it working?
    I did only answer some questions raised. My grid tied is working fantastic since Apr 2019 and I did share my power saved recently and Prof also gave his figures.

Further for the less than 20 days LS per year I am using my cheap China 1500/3000W inverter. At less than R1300 and 2 x 105Ah Deltec batteries it is enough for me.

Since Oct 2019 (8 months) we had 37 hours of LS so no need to install enough solar with batteries and inverter to switch on everything we would normally use during LS. Essentail for us is router, charging laptops, cell phones and lights.

Generating about 95kWh per month at a cost of R10 000 was money well spend although some would argue it is not worth it as it is too small. This is for the gried tied portion.

Hi Wetkit,

Thanks for all the input and the initial list for consideration before embarking on this route.

Their answer to your two questions, but related to their suggestion to my requirements:

1. The 200Ah batteries are the cheapest backup solution and will last about 2 3 years (maybe even more) depending on how much loadshedding there will be. For an off-grid solution, lithiums would be much better
    2. The Inverter has a built-in battery monitor. The Venus is used to integrate the system and to tell the system how to use the batteries (It will tell the system to either use the batteries only for back-up or to cycle them every day, or to cycle them in such a way to bring the electricity costs down)

Ekkekan, glad all working to your satisfaction. PM sent.

Kind regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2