Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping





Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    52
    Posts
    190
    Thanked: 11

    Default Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Good day to all.

    Call me parenoid but im trying to make future plans.Not sure if there is people in the same boat.

    With the lockdown and businesses going down not sure if they will re open and the posibilities of job losses i am starting tothink of alternative lifestyles.

    I m 52 and think if i loose my job now what will be an alternative.I dont think it will be easy to find a new job and would be nearly impossible(not that i will stop trying).

    Now my question is,is there people that is thinking to strart camping full time if you loose everything ?What plans are you putting in place to servive or dont you think it will come to that point that a large group of people becomes bankrupt?

    I have to mention that i still have two kids in school but one is home schooled.The bigger one is in grade 10 this year.

    Please share your future plans
    Bmw X6 MBmw 320i F30Vw Amarok 120kwJurgens Exclusive Triumph Explorer 1200

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to pumbalie For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,373
    Thanked: 13556

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    My future plan is to be one of the few craft beer pubs operating after LD and make some money.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Heliport
    Age
    50
    Posts
    444
    Thanked: 268

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    My future plan is to be one of the few craft beer pubs operating after LD and make some money.
    Jelo daar gaan so baie mense uit werk wees , en hulle almal leer nou om drank te maak ( en jy help . Dankie ) . So baie gaan pups begin , hel ek gaan sommer hier uit die stoor mampoer verkoop
    Using Tapatalk

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    34
    Posts
    515
    Thanked: 214

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Jelo daar gaan so baie mense uit werk wees , en hulle almal leer nou om drank te maak ( en jy help . Dankie ) . So baie gaan pups begin , hel ek gaan sommer hier uit die stoor mampoer verkoop
    My pa het my geleer dat as daar 11 bakkerye in 'n dorp is, dan maak jy 'n 12de bakkery oop, maar jy maak die beste bakkery oop.

    Moenie dat die vrees van baie kompetisie of baie kompeterende tuisgemaakte produkte jou keer om iets te doen nie.
    Die ding is, die mark gaan weer optel, mense gaan weer craft bier drink en weer by Harties (ek dink dis waar Jelo is) kuier, en dan is sy pub reeds daar en reeds gevestig.

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    34
    Posts
    515
    Thanked: 214

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by pumbalie View Post
    Good day to all.

    Call me parenoid but im trying to make future plans.Not sure if there is people in the same boat.

    With the lockdown and businesses going down not sure if they will re open and the posibilities of job losses i am starting tothink of alternative lifestyles.

    I m 52 and think if i loose my job now what will be an alternative.I dont think it will be easy to find a new job and would be nearly impossible(not that i will stop trying).

    Now my question is,is there people that is thinking to strart camping full time if you loose everything ?What plans are you putting in place to servive or dont you think it will come to that point that a large group of people becomes bankrupt?

    I have to mention that i still have two kids in school but one is home schooled.The bigger one is in grade 10 this year.

    Please share your future plans
    I think there will be wide scale job losses, but it will pick up somewhat eventually. But this is probably a big reset for the world economy, and the effects will be felt far and wide.

    I reckon rethinking spending habits is a good idea, cutting where possible and figuring out what can be done by yourself is a great idea, and downsizing is a good idea if applicable.

    I have been making plans to grow our businesses out of this, with short term plans and long term plans for both businesses, as well as looking at other markets and for more opportunities to try something else.

    Make no mistake, there will be opportunities, but we will have to hustle to be there first and get it done.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,033
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Many many moons ago, an auditor taught me that there is no such thing as that your clients were "stolen" from you.

    First is service, then price.

    On the beer side,
    service
    taste
    price

    That is how I would rate the success of the business.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

    FWM

  11. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,735
    Thanked: 10070

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    There are some very good vids on YT where people live out of vans, for a multitude of reasons. Some stay in an area and some move around. A common thread though, is they all have an income. Obviously, if you live out of a van, your costs are much lower than a house. So the concept of camping full time is feasible for sure.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,033
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    There are some very good vids on YT where people live out of vans, for a multitude of reasons. Some stay in an area and some move around. A common thread though, is they all have an income. Obviously, if you live out of a van, your costs are much lower than a house. So the concept of camping full time is feasible for sure.
    I would love to do this. But for an old crow like me, where do I go with all my junk?

    What I have thought of was to get a bare plot. Build a shed. Put in a loft and live there.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,735
    Thanked: 10070

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I would love to do this. But for an old crow like me, where do I go with all my junk?

    What I have thought of was to get a bare plot. Build a shed. Put in a loft and live there.
    Sell it, buy the bare plot, put in a shed with a loft, live there
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,033
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Sell it, ...............
    And tomorrow I will need that offcut I sold the day before. Besides, that shed and loft would be about 100km from civilisation.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,735
    Thanked: 10070

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    And tomorrow I will need that offcut I sold the day before. Besides, that shed and loft would be about 100km from civilisation.
    But you would have less stuff to worry about, be happier and a 100kms from civilisation, no problem
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,033
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    But you would have less stuff to worry about, be happier and a 100kms from civilisation, no problem
    It is probably something that I inherited from my dad. The day he died, my mom started to sell all his junk.

    I remember a guy came to buy some stuff and he commented "Mike just had the best junk ever"
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,033
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Umhlanga
    Age
    54
    Posts
    222
    Thanked: 650

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    All the schools are in the Black areas. Mainly townships.
    Jabu does not travel from Soweto to Alexandra to break into the school, steal the valuables and then set fire to the school.
    The schools are broken into by the local residents living in the area.
    The stolen computers and equipment is sold in the same area.
    The people living in the area, know exactly who the perpetrators/ criminals are.

    But their false sense of not saying anything, nor reporting them to the police is a mindset that goes back generations.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

    2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

  24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AlexP For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Heliport
    Age
    50
    Posts
    444
    Thanked: 268

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post
    My pa het my geleer dat as daar 11 bakkerye in 'n dorp is, dan maak jy 'n 12de bakkery oop, maar jy maak die beste bakkery oop.

    Moenie dat die vrees van baie kompetisie of baie kompeterende tuisgemaakte produkte jou keer om iets te doen nie.
    Die ding is, die mark gaan weer optel, mense gaan weer craft bier drink en weer by Harties (ek dink dis waar Jelo is) kuier, en dan is sy pub reeds daar en reeds gevestig.
    Bietjie tong in die kies gewees , ek vir een kan nie wag vir Jelo om sy pub oop te maak , sal lekker wees om hom so bietjie crap te gaan gee voordat hy weet hoe ek lyk .
    Using Tapatalk

  26. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,029
    Thanked: 553

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by pumbalie View Post
    Good day to all.

    Call me parenoid but im trying to make future plans.Not sure if there is people in the same boat.

    With the lockdown and businesses going down not sure if they will re open and the posibilities of job losses i am starting tothink of alternative lifestyles.

    I m 52 and think if i loose my job now what will be an alternative.I dont think it will be easy to find a new job and would be nearly impossible(not that i will stop trying).

    Now my question is,is there people that is thinking to strart camping full time if you loose everything ?What plans are you putting in place to servive or dont you think it will come to that point that a large group of people becomes bankrupt?

    I have to mention that i still have two kids in school but one is home schooled.The bigger one is in grade 10 this year.

    Please share your future plans
    At 52 you are young enough to carry on. At 55 I was unemployed for the next 4 years ..Finally at 59 got my current job ..nearly 70 and hopefully the stock exchange will have picked up enough for me to go camping..If I had not found that job ..my retirement money would be finished and I will be here at least another 20 years based on genetics ..dont retire at 52 is what I am saying
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2020/05/01 at 09:32 AM.

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanked: 811

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Bietjie tong in die kies gewees , ek vir een kan nie wag vir Jelo om sy pub oop te maak , sal lekker wees om hom so bietjie crap te gaan gee voordat hy weet hoe ek lyk .
    Ja ek wil ook by sy pub gaan suip.... ek kan nie wag om weer bier te proe nie - regte bier nie piswater nie ! Hy moet dalk die pub op sy plaas oopmaak en kampeer terrein opsit vir al ons "perpetual" kampers !
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4]

    Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8


  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,029
    Thanked: 553

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post
    My pa het my geleer dat as daar 11 bakkerye in 'n dorp is, dan maak jy 'n 12de bakkery oop, maar jy maak die beste bakkery oop.

    Moenie dat die vrees van baie kompetisie of baie kompeterende tuisgemaakte produkte jou keer om iets te doen nie.
    Die ding is, die mark gaan weer optel, mense gaan weer craft bier drink en weer by Harties (ek dink dis waar Jelo is) kuier, en dan is sy pub reeds daar en reeds gevestig.
    Great advice

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,373
    Thanked: 13556

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I would love to do this. But for an old crow like me, where do I go with all my junk?

    What I have thought of was to get a bare plot. Build a shed. Put in a loft and live there.
    as Estie said, buy the plot, put up 2 sheds, one to live in, one for the junk

    It's what we did. I still have EVERYTHING, all the crap from the previous house we moved out of almost 20 years ago.

    Agricultural holdings are cheap now, in our area mostly old people, and nobody wants to buy them, too scared.

    You can pick up 20Ha here with a decent house for R1.5m. Met 'n stoor en alles.

    Maar moet net nie naby my kom plak nie...........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  34. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,373
    Thanked: 13556

    Default Re: Lockdown , economy and fulltime camping

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Ja ek wil ook by sy pub gaan suip.... ek kan nie wag om weer bier te proe nie - regte bier nie piswater nie ! Hy moet dalk die pub op sy plaas oopmaak en kampeer terrein opsit vir al ons "perpetual" kampers !
    dis die plan

    wag net vir die liksens van die useless klomp in Mafikeng
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •