Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    1,382
    Thanked: 1391

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Truly an EPIC build Steve, well done.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,650
    Thanked: 888

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    A very good job Steve. Well Done. Hope you enjoyed the west coast. We arrived back on Monday Afternoon.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Gordons Bay
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 88

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Hi. Just back from another great 5 day trip through the Karoo and Cederberg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	478.5 KB 
ID:	633161 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	633162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	590.9 KB 
ID:	633163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211013_124624.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	633165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211014_094359.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	473.5 KB 
ID:	633166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211014_094448.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	633167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211015_070924.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	464.4 KB 
ID:	633168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211015_070645.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	384.1 KB 
ID:	633169

  4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to steve fj For This Useful Post:


  5. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Gordons Bay
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 88

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    I made two attempts to cross the Doring River but decided not to risk it, I got to a point where the front was dropping away too fast and I didn't want to get to a where I couldn't reverse out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211014_090923.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	633170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	633173 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	633174 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	351.7 KB 
ID:	633179

    I'd camped for the night a few K's from the Doring the night before so having to now turn around and go back to the R355 wasn't a train smash but as I slowed down for a cattle grid my foot went down to the floor, I had no brakes.
    On inspection I found the inside of the drivers side front tire covered in brake fluid. A 12mm bolt that secures and supports a bracket holding both the brake line and the wheel ABS censer had worked loose and fallen out leaving the brake line dangling from the master cylinder and with time and all the vibration had broken clean off where the pipe enters the brake caliper.

    With brake fluid poring out of the pipe from the master cylinder I took my pliers and crimped the end of the pipe closed, I filled the master cylinder with brake fluid and carried on along the trail knowing I would now have to head 60 K's to Calvinia once I reached the R355.
    By the time I got to Calvinia I had no brakes at all so taking it easy and slowing down with the gearbox I found a garage that could help me. The mechanic replaced the pipe and said he had seen this problem with the 12mm securing bolt before on Hilux, within an hour I was back on the road heading for the Cederberg.

    With the compressor I'm now using I've started using my Indeflate for the first time, it works so well.

    I absolutely love driving my FJ, I've had a few small problems in the past but it's never stranded me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1672.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	633177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	633178  

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve fj For This Useful Post:


  7. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Citrusdal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,553
    Thanked: 345

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Quote Originally Posted by steve fj View Post
    Hi. Just back from another great 5 day trip through the Karoo and Cederberg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	478.5 KB 
ID:	633161 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	633162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	590.9 KB 
ID:	633163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211013_124624.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	633165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211014_094359.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	473.5 KB 
ID:	633166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211014_094448.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	633167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211015_070924.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	464.4 KB 
ID:	633168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211015_070645.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	384.1 KB 
ID:	633169
    Still the best FJ setup ive seen. Enjoy the best car you will ever drive
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    Afrispoor Serval

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandveld For This Useful Post:

    Bex

  9. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    83
    Thanked: 36

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandveld View Post
    Still the best FJ setup ive seen. Enjoy the best car you will ever drive
    Agreed, its fantastic!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mypro-D For This Useful Post:


  11. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Skelmbos
    Posts
    362
    Thanked: 216

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Quote Originally Posted by steve fj View Post


    I'd camped for the night a few K's from the Doring the night before so having to now turn around and go back to the R355 wasn't a train smash but as I slowed down for a cattle grid my foot went down to the floor, I had no brakes.
    On inspection I found the inside of the drivers side front tire covered in brake fluid. A 12mm bolt that secures and supports a bracket holding both the brake line and the wheel ABS censer had worked loose and fallen out leaving the brake line dangling from the master cylinder and with time and all the vibration had broken clean off where the pipe enters the brake caliper.

    Just out of pure curiousity: how did you manage to brake? Engine braking (ie, shifting into lower gear)? Or just generally using environment to lower speed until handbraking can become effective?

    Especially in town, when at intersections, going to workshop?

  12. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Posts
    1,665
    Thanked: 2185

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    The red FJ has grown on me, it looks good.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:


  14. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Gordons Bay
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 88

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Just out of pure curiousity: how did you manage to brake? Engine braking (ie, shifting into lower gear)? Or just generally using environment to lower speed until handbraking can become effective?

    Especially in town, when at intersections, going to workshop?
    Hi GroenHoeder. Simply by changing down with the gearbox and with engine compression.
    Driving along the R355 at 60 to 80 kph wasn't a problem at first except the vicious pull to the left, it was still early in the morning so the road was empty.
    It was only when I reached the "T' junction at the end of the R355 that I had no brakes at all, I think although I crimped the pipe the pressure was to much and it was still slowly leaking. I had replaced the 12mm missing bolt from a small collection I carry with me and I used a whole bottle of brake fluid. It was a quiet Thursday morning in Calvinia so I just rolled round to where I'd been directed for help. The mechanic used a brake pipe from another Toyota model and bled the system
    It didn't put a damper on the trip at all and from there I went straight to Wuppatal

  15. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Gordons Bay
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 88

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    The red FJ has grown on me, it looks good.
    Hi Jors.
    love your videos.

    After 2 years I'm still struggling with the red, when I bought the FJ it had a few good quality aftermarket parts already fitted and once I priced the parts I thought it would be a mistake not to take it.

  16. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Not too far from Pofadder
    Posts
    1,665
    Thanked: 2185

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Red was not my first choice either, it was just a good deal, but now I like it, I think it suits the FJ.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:


  18. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,088
    Thanked: 2838

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandveld View Post
    Still the best FJ setup ive seen. Enjoy the best car you will ever drive
    I find the FJ one of the fugliest vehicles, but must admit that I would not mind owning one fitted out like you have fitted yours out. Really well planned! I hope it gives you many years of happy memories.
    Mike Lauterbach

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:


  20. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: FJ almost completed photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Red was not my first choice either, it was just a good deal, but now I like it, I think it suits the FJ.
    White is so much more original
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •