Any tricks to lube the clutch plate splines without taking out the gearbox? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Any tricks to lube the clutch plate splines without taking out the gearbox?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Question, if a clutch plate spring breaks, what are the symptoms
    If I remember correctly judder, the clutch takes sharply, vibration, noise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Any tricks to lube the clutch plate splines without taking out the gearbox?

I cannot see any way that the splines can be lubricated where the clutch plate moves on the splines.
    And even if you do by some miracle manage to do it, I very much doubt it will make any difference. I suspect you have a faulty clutch.

Please, whatever you do, please report back. I'd be keen to know the outcome.

Good luck!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Like 3bar said there is not much movement of the clutch plate on the splines. The release bearing slides on the sleeve that is where you have movement.

Oil grade like Wiel said can have the same symptoms

I will go with a sticky slave or master cylinder like others said in the thread.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I will go with a sticky slave or master cylinder like others said in the thread.
    You guys are steering me in this direction, how do I identify/troubleshoot a sticky slave or master cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    You guys are steering me in this direction, how do I identify/troubleshoot a sticky slave or master cylinder?
    It is easy enough to recondition both.
    Even if it turns out not to be the main problem, it will be money well spent.

I personally think you have a failing pressure plate.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Start by flushing the clutch fluid

Then change the master and slave

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Start by flushing the clutch fluid

Then change the master and slave
    I'll start by flushing the fluid, easy and cheap, it was last done about 2yrs ago.

I'd still like to hear what symptoms I can look for to diagnose a failing master or slave cylinder?

I'll start by flushing the fluid, easy and cheap, it was last done about 2yrs ago.

I'd still like to hear what symptoms I can look for to diagnose a failing master or slave cylinder?
    If a problem can not be absolutely diagnosed I like to start with the cheap and simple.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Most failures would result in a 'soft' pedal, or the pedal needing to be 'pumped up'.

If the pedal is firm and holds its firmness, the hydraulic servos are most probably ok.

I cannot think of a mode of failure that would cause 'dragging' of the clutch.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Most failures would result in a 'soft' pedal, or the pedal needing to be 'pumped up'.

If the pedal is firm and holds its firmness, the hydraulic servos are most probably ok.

I have experience of two such cases. One were someone put contaminated brake fluid in the system causing the clutch master and slave cylinder rubber seals to swell. Other one were rust deposits in master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post

By dragging I mean the clutch plate does not fully release when the pedal is pressed to the floor, it very slightly drags on the clutch plates and causes the gearbox input shaft to turn and hence make gears very difficult to shift.

My pedal is firm and always holds it's firmness, which is why it's hard to fault the hydraulic system.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I have experience of two such cases. One were someone put contaminated brake fluid in the system causing the clutch master and slave cylinder rubber seals to swell. Other one were rust deposits in master cylinder.
    Were your 2 cases also temperature dependent?
    I would have thought a sticky cylinder would cause clutch slippage even when the pedal is fully released because the cylinder would not return fully. And also some fluid loss would be apparent which I have not had.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/04/29 at 08:46 PM.

It isn't the splines.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Maybe adjust your clutch peddle to push further in ie more travel
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

how do I identify/troubleshoot a sticky slave or master cylinder?

confirm slave cylinder travel is within spec and that travel is not sluggish.

check peddle free-play; its a long-shot but a quick and easy check.

The clutch drags when pushed in for the first few km and then it's fine, it makes changing gears very difficult if not impossible, it also randomly happens at any time when trying to change gears when the vehicle is at a standstill.

when this happens with the vehicle in gear, at standstill and clutch disengaged does the vehicle tend to want to move forward ?

jack a rear wheel off the ground, chock front wheels and repeat the test. in gear and with clutch disengaged you should be able to stop the rear wheel with your foot on the side of the tyre.

perhaps its not the clutch but an intermittently hard shifting gearbox.

hope this helps, good luck
    Last edited by RussellF; 2020/04/29 at 10:29 PM.

By dragging I mean the clutch plate does not fully release when the pedal is pressed to the floor, it very slightly drags on the clutch plates and causes the gearbox input shaft to turn and hence make gears very difficult to shift.

My pedal is firm and always holds it's firmness, which is why it's hard to fault the hydraulic system.

Were your 2 cases also temperature dependent?
    I would have thought a sticky cylinder would cause clutch slippage even when the pedal is fully released because the cylinder would not return fully. And also some fluid loss would be apparent which I have not had.
    Sorry misunderstood they way your clutch drag. I am with Wiel oil weight that is not to spec have the effect of dragging and heavy shifting when cold.
    Also with RussellF on paddle and slave travel distance specs. I would check and adjust first.

I had something similar with my D21 Nissan. The seals on the piston in the master cylinder was on its way out. When you press the pedal, some of the fluid will bypass the seals and you do not get the full movement you need to disengage. In the beginning it was random but later on it happened all the time. New kit (piston, seals, little spring and dust cover ) for both the master and slave, new fluid and problem solved.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/04/30 at 06:16 AM.
    Kobus

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

even with the clutch fully engaged its possible to change gears.

plenty years ago and more than 10km from home I had an issue with a suddenly leaking master cylinder or collapsing firewall, I don't remember which exactly.

was able to drive home thru all the gears without any clutch by slacking off on the accelerator slightly before gear changes, gearbox synchromesh did the rest.

am relating the story to show that difficult gear changes may not be clutch related.

I'm sure many others have similar anecdotes ...

I didn't read all, but let me just drop my opinion.

The splines are used for maybe 1mm. When the pressure plate is released, the clutch might move 1 or 2mm.

Where there is travel is on the release bearing, on the collar around the main shaft.

But all this being said, I have found that when the clutch starts acting up. Going stiff, not releasing, there is a failure. Be it hydraulic or mechanical.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

As many said its definitely not lubrication on the splines.

I only 2 see possible root causes for a dragging clutch
    1. Clutch/pressure plate on the way out and thus not releasing properly
    2. spigot bearing dragging causing the input shaft to turn despite clutch releasing

Either way its a gearbox out job to fix
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Like the rest of the guys said, your clutch is on it's way out I recon.

Just drop the box and do it properly.

You will most probably find that when you do take it out you will be surprised to see how little clutch is left!

When last was that clutch done, and what sort of work has the vehicle done with the current clutch in it?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast