Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Home Distilling

Default Re: Home Distilling

I am so raw on this subject I can only embarrass myself in my comments or questions. I thought it would be good to join warts and all but couldnt join because they ask a question to see if you are a computer or not . The question was ,what do you call beer that hasnt fermented. I didnt know the question. I only found out later it was wort. I felt real doff.

I can get 54 mm pipe in meter size but dont really know what to do after that. Maybe I have had too much pineapple beer but I cnt see how a 150 l copper geyser could be practical.

If one could make a 20 l copper still with a element and adjustable thermostat setting would it be a good start. A pot one. Is that 54mm pipe just a way for the alchohol to be burnt off in evaporation and then it goes through a cooling jacket to take it from condensation back to liquid.?

Tomorrow I may be able to get a 100 liter copper geyser. So it could be a good starting point. But I would like to cut it up and make a smaller one . What size and design should I look at.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I am so raw on this subject I can only embarrass myself in my comments or questions. I thought it would be good to join warts and all but couldnt join because they ask a question to see if you are a computer or not . The question was ,what do you call beer that hasnt fermented. I didnt know the question. I only found out later it was wort. I felt real doff.

I can get 54 mm pipe in meter size but dont really know what to do after that. Maybe I have had too much pineapple beer but I cnt see how a 150 l copper geyser could be practical.

If one could make a 20 l copper still with a element and adjustable thermostat setting would it be a good start. A pot one. Is that 54mm pipe just a way for the alchohol to be burnt off in evaporation and then it goes through a cooling jacket to take it from condensation back to liquid.?

Tomorrow I may be able to get a 100 liter copper geyser. So it could be a good starting point. But I would like to cut it up and make a smaller one . What size and design should I look at.
    The thing is this, I have been contemplating distilling for a number of years, even thinking of commercial production in long run, but if you get a 100l still, that is HUGE!
    The amount of work you will have to put in first of all to make enough wash to be able to effectively get the thing going is ridiculous, thats the kind of level you need automation for so its really impractical.

I was looking at starting off with a 30l keg which can basically have a standard 2" column stuck on the top of it, but even then its a lot of work to get your was done, get the keg properly sorted out with tri clamp
    ferrules, heater and thermometer ports etc. but it all just gets expensive fast.

If you getting your hands on a copper geyser for free then maybe check out the below link for some ideas, I would aim for maybe up to 30 liters.
    You probably could even roll out enough copper for the base from the remainder of the geyser (there are a few pages to click through).
    http://www.stillcooker.com/build-step1.php

The below video is also the first step of clawhammer distillery building up one of their copper stills, you can see the copper is pretty flimsy because stills dont actually build up a lot of pressure, as the vapour rises
    up and out through the piping. (its an awesome set of videos to watch though, thing of beauty)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexPViSDaJs
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post

Koper is baie belangrik want dit vang meeste van die giftige goed op wat jy nie wil drink nie. Maak ook smaak beter. Stainless steel werk ook oulik, maar sorg dat iewers koper in is. 100l Koper geiser is n lekker size om te begin mee. Jy kan hom half maak vir beter hanteering. Werk met copper to copper stafies om soldeerwerk te doen. GEEN ALUMINIUM IN BOU NIE. die gee goed af wat jou met tyd n koolkop maak. Maak nie saak hoe hy behandel is nie. ALUMINIUM is n groot no no. Vir n beginner ketel, bou n potstill. Makliker om te run. Sit ketel in n windstil plek as jy stook . Wind het n groot inpak op kwaliteit mampoer wat jy stook. Condenser is ook nogal belangrik. N gewone 200l drom wat dun koper pyp in water ge rol is werk baie goed.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    The amount of work you will have to put in first of all to make enough wash to be able to effectively get the thing going is ridiculous, thats the kind of level you need automation for so its really impractical.
    Not at all. A friend of ours uses the blue 50L drums for the sugar wash. We use clear plastic 50L containers. Or 4 x 25L plastic water cans.

Hot water out your geyser, add sugar, stir till dissolved, cool down to ambient, add yeast. Wait 2 weeks. Siphon into the still. Done.

And you don't need to FILL the still, it will work just as well half full.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Not at all. A friend of ours uses the blue 50L drums for the sugar wash. We use clear plastic 50L containers. Or 4 x 25L plastic water cans.

Hot water out your geyser, add sugar, stir till dissolved, cool down to ambient, add yeast. Wait 2 weeks. Siphon into the still. Done.

And you don't need to FILL the still, it will work just as well half full.
    You are right of course, what I was trying to say is that doing a 100l wash is a lot of work and unless plunger is looking at doing very large amounts
    he is better off with a smaller setup because its just way easier to work with.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    You are right of course, what I was trying to say is that doing a 100l wash is a lot of work and unless plunger is looking at doing very large amounts
    he is better off with a smaller setup because its just way easier to work with.
    I find on the other hand that if I'm going to baby sit a still for 3-4 hours, it should produce enough volume to make up for the effort.........

It's like brewing beer: 20L is as much effort and time as 100L so why bother with 20L?

Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I find on the other hand that if I'm going to baby sit a still for 3-4 hours, it should produce enough volume to make up for the effort.........It's like brewing beer: 20L is as much effort and time as 100L so why bother with 20L?
    OK you win.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

for anyone looking to understand the components / basics of a moonshine still, quite a useful video from George @ Barley & Hops below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AoGqk_Sa1E
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

So here we are, just over 7 months down the line from the last post on this thread.
    • We're (still) in LockDown,
    • Cyril the With-Immediate-Effect Squirrel banned the sale of alcohol 3 weeks ago,
    • since then, Xmas and New Year celebrations happened
    • which severally depleted stock and
    • chances are there that the ban will be extended when he waffles again in a coupla days time.

Has anyone hauled out, dusted off and flashed up there stills again? Who carried on with distilling when the ban was lifted?
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    .... Who carried on with distilling when the ban was lifted?
    Yes.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2021/01/11 at 09:25 AM.
    Kobus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    So here we are, just over 7 months down the line from the last post on this thread.Has anyone hauled out, dusted off and flashed up there stills again? Who carried on with distilling when the ban was lifted?

I am departing today for the Langkloof, to collect the seasons first harvest of Pears so i can mash and make schnapps when my cousin, the master distiller from Austria arrives next week! (The mash will take a tad longer to be ready, but all planned and ready)
    This time we make more, as in loads and loads and loads more
    Attached Images Attached Images  

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieterf For This Useful Post:

Never stopped, between the odd rum, attempts at whiskey and replenishing sanitizer.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

Also never stopped. Got some reject export grapes from a mate in De Doorns, fermented it and got the first witblitz of the season yesterday.

(Edit: I know the still looks a bit knackered, but its something like 125 years old, still does the job.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210110_114520.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	601941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210110_133212.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	601942  
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2021/01/11 at 10:05 AM.
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    197? RRC

18. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

I’ve built 5 stills (thanks to Squirrel) got 2 more to do.....

ET.... you saw what I was up to on your last “visit”

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post

True - I'm lusting...
    Ettienne de Kock

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    197? RRC

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post

Pics or it didn't happen.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Some of the setups we've

built in the last few months.
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

nice!
    did you build the sections with the sight glases or did you buy them?
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Howzit.
    The T-sections we built.
    On this one we built the site glasses as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9df703dc-0e4e-4000-94da-67a1248f90f1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	602216
    As well as on this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abb00ed4-dd51-46f4-81c8-95214b2b5dcd.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	602217
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way

Some awesome work there, Benson!
    Ettienne de Kock

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    197? RRC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast