A-frame or trailer

Default A-frame or trailer

Hi All,
    Looking at towing my SJ410 behind the Jeep for 500+ km. What will be better, A-frame or a car trailer / dolly?
    Thanks.

Default Re: A-frame or trailer

We used to tow our willys with an a frame, all over including to Nam, didn't have any issues.
    Just took the rear prop shaft off as a precaution, as the transfer case still turns even when in neutral. Front had free wheel hubs so was okay.
    Plug for lights and we also ran over run brakes on it so the jeeps brakes worked too.
    Trailer might be less work to hire (assuming you don't have one), but once you have the a frame and lights working, it's always convenient.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grim For This Useful Post:

A frame, way better, towed one from PTA to CT, with a 70Kw Diesel and it was superb. Also unbolted rear prop and hubs unlocked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc 1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	569547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	569548  
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:

Samurai / SJ410 / SJ413 have old style Suzuki Transfer Case. That can be towed with transfer case in neutral and front hubs unlocked. Rear prop does not need to be disconnected. Only output shaft will rotate, and shifter rings provide sufficient oil fling to lubricate the three ball bearings and two needle rollers that are rotating with only component mass loading. Cannot be done with Jimny as it have different transfer case.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mike N; 2020/04/30 at 08:25 AM.
    '89 LR 110 V8

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

The problem is with the weight. It will exceed 750kg and must then have assisted brakes.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4

Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mtber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    The problem is with the weight. It will exceed 750kg and must then have assisted brakes.
    Using a trailer this is applicable.

Using an A-frame not. Long discussion about using A-frame some time ago on this forum.

Section 330 of the NRTA regulates the towing of vehicles and there are no load restrictions there, but I would not exceed the GVM of the towing vehicle, which will be somewhat moot with towing a SJ410
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

I towed a Suzuki (never actually weighed it, but estimated about 600Kg) all over S.A. never had a problem. At one stage I thought it might be better to use a trailer. The trailer (double wheel, braked ) weight almost as much as the Suzuki. My speed dropped, my fuel consumption shot up, and now I had to consider this big, heavy trailer and worry about tie down straps. For me I go A frame.

I now have a FJ40, also with a "A" Frame, however I would not consider towing far with this, simply due to the extra weight.

Watch out for new (not so new) towing regulations. There are a very few vehicles you can legally tow or be towed with an A frame.

The biggest problem is the traffic department, even they get confused, so you could get sent or taken to a weight bridge for checking.

What we can tow and what we are allowed to tow is massively different.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Samurai / SJ410 / SJ413 have old style Suzuki Transfer Case. That can be towed with transfer case in neutral and front hubs unlocked. Rear prop does not need to be disconnected. Only output shaft will rotate, and shifter rings provide sufficient oil fling to lubricate the three ball bearings and two needle rollers that are rotating with only component mass loading. Cannot be done with Jimny as it have different transfer case.
    with regard to towing ,i can understand that a rear wheel driven vehicle been towed with front lifted ,will be at risk since oil in gearbox and or tc will be at back of boxes. Some gears will be spinning without lube. Lifting a front wheel drive and towing will not affect gearbox etc. Therefore i am confused why towing any rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive in neutral with a manual gearbox is a problem, if vehicle is been towed with all wheels on the ground. Surely lubrication will take place as normal. Experts please comment.

Some gearboxes rely on splash lubrication. So have an oil pump.

Better to leave the transfer in neutral.

If in doubt, take the propshaft off.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

As Henris says, lubrication is the problem. A normal RWD gearbox usually only have the output portion of the main shaft turning when in neutral and being towed (back driven). Normally splash lube is provided by the countershaft gears running in the oil, or alternatively by an oil pump usually also drive from the countershaft (also called lay shaft) to ensure sufficient oil flow when crawling and driven by engine. When back driven all gears and countershaft are stationary, and only the output shaft is turning in its bearings and in the gear needle roller bearings. Fresh oil is not supplied to these as they are above the normal oil level. So towing main gearbox back driven in neutral for any distance further than just a few km's can cause damage to the bearings, even causing them to seize and write off the whole box. See below for a section of the Jimny main gearbox with the output portion of the main shaft that will be turning when back driven in red.
    There is a workaround for my Landy for example. It has the old LT85 gearbox, and a filler plug right at the top next to the gear lever. In an emergency, if the other methods will for some mysterious reason not work, you can drain engine oil and overfill the gearbox to main shaft level, the output shaft bearing and gear needles will then be lubricated. But yes, I do not know of anybody having ever done it, as removing propshafts or towing with Transfer Case in neutral (only some vehicles like my Landy with LT230 and old SJ Suzuki though) is usually less trouble. Get to know you vehicle and its towing options are usually effort well spent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jimny GB.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	570537
    Edit: Just a note, the synchro rings / shift collars (now blue stuff in pic) will also turn, but they also run above the normal oil level so wear / seizing of the shift collars are also a possibility.
    Last edited by Mike N; 2020/05/07 at 08:43 AM.
    '89 LR 110 V8

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

some very nice explanations above, here is a video if you cannot visualise it.

Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car