Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny - Page 3





Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 91
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Swakop
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,063
    Thanked: 626

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by HKirby View Post
    Hi Chris.

    Thanks for pics of the Toyota. I knew I saw something in the Top Gear review of the new Defender.

    We were there early July 2019. When did you go? That will help narrow down when the accident happened.
    Accidents on the pass are not as uncommon as one would think. Having driven it yourself you can see why.

    Am glad to read that you changed your text on the videos discouraging people to do the pass with a big trailer/caravan as it is basically not recommended, hence my earlier comment. Many locals view it in the same light as somebody driving up the pass.

    Making it down safely does not only require skill but also luck. I don't mean that in an offensive way, but even with skill a small error in judgement or a rock which looks stable but isn't can cause big trouble, a small vehicle/caravan malfunction could end in disaster with all that added weight behind you. Personally I think doing the pass with all that added risk "in tow" is unnecessary.

    But well done and great vids.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare
    Posts
    145
    Thanked: 94

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by HKirby View Post
    Hi John.

    Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed our content. I gave my brother-in-law my hars drive with my raw content this afternoon so I'm expecting a new release to be made available soon!

    We used 2 x Go-Pro 6 and then some footage from my father-in-law's Garmin Dashcam. We also had a Sony and Panasonic handycams but the image processors are so old that the colors look washed out compared to the GoPro quality. I'm very impressed with the image stabilizing capabilities of the GoPro. Those cameras were fixed to the windscreen or roof rack and the stabilized image makes it look like they we mounted to something else other than a car. To make food use of a GoPro I would recommend at least one of those suction cup mounts that you can to mount almost anywhere on your car including inside your windscreen as well as a handheld mounting stick. I've got one of those that float so I can also jump into water with the GoPro if I feel like it or just walk around filming. It's also a good idea to buy one of those GoPro mounts that has a fold away tripod so you can position it and film some drive by shots. We used that on the outside corner of the Van Zyls pass to film while I had the handheld GoPro.

    We are probably going to buy 2x GoPro to get some more footage as well as microphones. Maybe a SLR for some good still photography and B footage to use as fillers on the content.

    The content creation is all new to us and my brother-in-law is doing a fantastic job at figuring this all out. I'm just the voice and eye candy in the shots :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjoppie View Post
    Hi. As Hugh mentioned, the main footage comes from 2 GoPro action cameras. We make sure to enable the stabilization setting on both and have it mounted in a position to capture scenery and vehicle. There were 100’s of gigabytes footage that we couldn’t use due to wind noise and voice quality. Some videos we saved by using some video stabilization function on the editing software.

    We have learnt a lot during editing and realized that we need a bit more equipment such as microphones and at least 2 additional action cams plus a DSLR or Mirrorless Camera.

    We find this very entertaining in our family and can’t wait to start out next tour journey after lockdown in SA.
    Thanks for your comprehensive replys gents, most informative. I've never owned an action camera before and I'm super-impressed with the quality that these tiny cameras are capable of. As mentioned we are currently in shutdown in Australia and before receiving your comments I'd done a fair amount of research on action cameras but didn't think I'd end up buying as I suspected that the quality wouldn't meet my expectations. Now that I've seen what they are capable of I'll certainly buy. Our choice is between the GoPro Hero 8 Black (AUD528/ZAR6,400) aor the DJI Osmo Action (AUD494/ZAR6,100). Reviews seem to indicate the GoPro is marginally better and the price differential is marginal. Amazon here also have some good 3rd party (Neewer) accessories packages (fit GoPro and DJI) with all the add-ons you recommend (AUD30/ZAR370). I assume a spare battery would also be necessary. From what I understand the two I'm looking at have greatly improved image stabilization, sound quality, wind reduction etc, however judging by your videos even the GoPro 6 is obviously a winner.

    As a matter of interest what editing software do you use?
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams


  4. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    66
    Posts
    906
    Thanked: 132

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Great videos (still working way through)
    Any chance of some more pictures of the Jimnys packing system

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Woolf For This Useful Post:


  6. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 82

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    Great videos (still working way through)
    Any chance of some more pictures of the Jimnys packing system
    Hi Woolf

    I'll ask my father-in-law to post some pictures of what he has done in the rear. He recently upgraded to a better setup, which my brother-in-law custom designed and built for him. Very cool!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to HKirby For This Useful Post:


  8. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 82

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Thanks for your comprehensive replys gents, most informative. I've never owned an action camera before and I'm super-impressed with the quality that these tiny cameras are capable of. As mentioned we are currently in shutdown in Australia and before receiving your comments I'd done a fair amount of research on action cameras but didn't think I'd end up buying as I suspected that the quality wouldn't meet my expectations. Now that I've seen what they are capable of I'll certainly buy. Our choice is between the GoPro Hero 8 Black (AUD528/ZAR6,400) aor the DJI Osmo Action (AUD494/ZAR6,100). Reviews seem to indicate the GoPro is marginally better and the price differential is marginal. Amazon here also have some good 3rd party (Neewer) accessories packages (fit GoPro and DJI) with all the add-ons you recommend (AUD30/ZAR370). I assume a spare battery would also be necessary. From what I understand the two I'm looking at have greatly improved image stabilization, sound quality, wind reduction etc, however judging by your videos even the GoPro 6 is obviously a winner.

    As a matter of interest what editing software do you use?
    Hi Ted

    I will ask my brother-in-law to feedback on the software he is using. On the GoPro topic I would advise you to also take a watch Andrew St Pierre-White's channel 4XOverland. He posted an episode about 3-4 weeks ago (I think it is where he took his new LC to the beach for an overnight camp) where he commented about a new action camera that he was very happy with and was going to replace his Go-Pro with the new camera. I can't remember the make and it may well be the one you are mentioning above. Andrew's irritation with the GoPro is something I identify with, but only when it comes to the wifi access to the camera from my phone's software e.g. trying to activate the camera remotely while driving. I found the latter to be incredibly inconsistent and eventually I would just get out the car to activate the camera, but this issue may have been resolved in later software upgrades etc. Nevertheless I will be getting a GoPro8 regardless of my irritation.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to HKirby For This Useful Post:


  10. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 82

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Latest episode posted.

    Drive to Marble Camp. @Tommie: you make a brief appearance as we enter Marble Camp.

    https://youtu.be/EyPZFOZ686I

    Apologies for the varying levels in sound volume between the dialog and music, which is more noticeable when watching on a TV for some reason. We've only discovered this issue when editing the content.

    For the LC boys, take note of the "tail wagging" issue caused by the narrower track of the rear wheels of the LC. It's only really noticeable when towing in the loose sand.

    Enjoy!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to HKirby For This Useful Post:


  12. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,808
    Thanked: 2045

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Based on the videos the Jimny is by far the best 4x4.

    Never got stuck and danced down the pass.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

    Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...







  13. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    70
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Respek en baie ysterballe vir julle met daardie waens agteraan. Ek kan dink dat jy dit nie weer gaan doen nie.

    In 2012 is ons met 7 GSe en bystand-4x4 daar deur. Skrikwekkend maar, oooooooo, so lekker.

    Foto van die eerste step na die uitkykpunt.
    Google - Behind us are memories beside us are friends before us are dreams. Wat so baie waar is
    Last edited by tomthomas; 2020/04/29 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Thanks for your comprehensive replys gents, most informative. I've never owned an action camera before and I'm super-impressed with the quality that these tiny cameras are capable of. As mentioned we are currently in shutdown in Australia and before receiving your comments I'd done a fair amount of research on action cameras but didn't think I'd end up buying as I suspected that the quality wouldn't meet my expectations. Now that I've seen what they are capable of I'll certainly buy. Our choice is between the GoPro Hero 8 Black (AUD528/ZAR6,400) aor the DJI Osmo Action (AUD494/ZAR6,100). Reviews seem to indicate the GoPro is marginally better and the price differential is marginal. Amazon here also have some good 3rd party (Neewer) accessories packages (fit GoPro and DJI) with all the add-ons you recommend (AUD30/ZAR370). I assume a spare battery would also be necessary. From what I understand the two I'm looking at have greatly improved image stabilization, sound quality, wind reduction etc, however judging by your videos even the GoPro 6 is obviously a winner.

    As a matter of interest what editing software do you use?
    Good morning.

    It's hard to decide between the top action cameras. There are mixed opinions about both and some recon GoPro is best and other Osmo Action. I've recently compared both and there's really not much difference other than stabilisation technologies and some minor differences like front facing screen on the Osmo and shooting 4K at 30 fps vs 60fps on the GoPro. Osmo can scale down to 4:3 to achieve 4K at 60 fps but then you loose some top and bottom footage. Connectivity between a smartphone and camera is also not a consistent experience between everyone so this can't be a deciding factor.

    We are very happy with the GoPro's. Good stabilisation. Sometimes we turn off the stabilisation so that we can get some true road/walk conditions... it's that good... in my opinion. A must-have for any GoPro is better sound quality. The GoPro 8 media hub has a larger mic in the case but adding an additional Rode mic for example looks like the real deal.

    I've recently started using Final Cut Pro X, a non-linear application (only available on the Apple computers). The equivalent for Microsoft users is Adobe Premiere Pro, a timeline-based application. It's a fair amount of learning that goes into the application but also very interesting and one can see the potential when you master the software.

    Hope this helps.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to tjoppie For This Useful Post:


  16. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 82

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Based on the videos the Jimny is by far the best 4x4.

    Never got stuck and danced down the pass.
    Hi Ranier.

    The Jimny did a fantastic job. Definitely an advantage to have a smaller capable vehicle in some of those trickier areas.

  17. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Based on the videos the Jimny is by far the best 4x4.

    Never got stuck and danced down the pass.
    Jimny's are brilliant micro-overlanders.
    Yes, he did not get stuck and was used as a recovery vehicle. :-) Big rigs and soft sand... lots of fun.
    Our next YT video will show footage of the Jimny snatching the bogged Land Cruiser with Caravan.
    We do not recommend using a Jimny for this because the slightest wrong angle will overturn the Jimny very easily. BUT we didn't have a choice and had to take a calculated action.

  18. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    70
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Correction

  19. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    75
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Well done you guys & congrats!!!
    We did the trip in 2012 with a Ford Ranger 2.4, 4x4 towing a Venter Trailer with rooftop tent, as well as a Mitshibusi Colt 2.8 4x4, towing a Birmac bush trailer. The trailers were un braked. It was not to bad but the scary part was when the bakkies lost traction on the loose rock road surfaces and kept being pushed by the un braked trailers. We also made a nice video and ever so often we watch it to remind us of an awesome experience. As my son Herman always says : "When visiting Kaokoland, Van Zyl`s is a must."
    Alit

    Wees altyd bedagsaam teenoor ander.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alit For This Useful Post:


  21. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare
    Posts
    145
    Thanked: 94

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by HKirby View Post
    Hi Ted

    I will ask my brother-in-law to feedback on the software he is using. On the GoPro topic I would advise you to also take a watch Andrew St Pierre-White's channel 4XOverland. He posted an episode about 3-4 weeks ago (I think it is where he took his new LC to the beach for an overnight camp) where he commented about a new action camera that he was very happy with and was going to replace his Go-Pro with the new camera. I can't remember the make and it may well be the one you are mentioning above. Andrew's irritation with the GoPro is something I identify with, but only when it comes to the wifi access to the camera from my phone's software e.g. trying to activate the camera remotely while driving. I found the latter to be incredibly inconsistent and eventually I would just get out the car to activate the camera, but this issue may have been resolved in later software upgrades etc. Nevertheless I will be getting a GoPro8 regardless of my irritation.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjoppie View Post
    Good morning.

    It's hard to decide between the top action cameras. There are mixed opinions about both and some recon GoPro is best and other Osmo Action. I've recently compared both and there's really not much difference other than stabilisation technologies and some minor differences like front facing screen on the Osmo and shooting 4K at 30 fps vs 60fps on the GoPro. Osmo can scale down to 4:3 to achieve 4K at 60 fps but then you loose some top and bottom footage. Connectivity between a smartphone and camera is also not a consistent experience between everyone so this can't be a deciding factor.

    We are very happy with the GoPro's. Good stabilisation. Sometimes we turn off the stabilisation so that we can get some true road/walk conditions... it's that good... in my opinion. A must-have for any GoPro is better sound quality. The GoPro 8 media hub has a larger mic in the case but adding an additional Rode mic for example looks like the real deal.

    I've recently started using Final Cut Pro X, a non-linear application (only available on the Apple computers). The equivalent for Microsoft users is Adobe Premiere Pro, a timeline-based application. It's a fair amount of learning that goes into the application but also very interesting and one can see the potential when you master the software.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks again gents for all your input. The action camera is now a certainty, just gotta decide which of the two options to go for. I've looked for the Andrew St Pierre-White's channel video referred to but it does not appear to be on the videos available on YouTube, I notice subscribers to his website receive videos in advance of them becoming available on YouTube, maybe it will come in a few weeks time. I do suspect that I'll end up going for the GoPro 8. On the software, I'm a bit of a techno-idiot so this will be very challenging for me. Thanks too for the advice on the sound quality upgrade, while we are in semi-isolation here will be a good time to look into the accessories necessary.
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams


  22. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,258
    Thanked: 2772

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Very nice video really enjoyed it. Great job down Van Zyls. The green Cruiser that rolled were discussed here in a thread a few years ago. Think its been rolled down further on purpose than form what I can remember from the thread

    Spacers at the back solve the Cruiser gatswaai problem in sand. You will be surprise how it improves handling on dirt roads.
    I have towed an offroad caravan for many years. With the kids out the nest I rigging the 79 for overlanding no towing for me anymore.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  24. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,258
    Thanked: 2772

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  26. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 82

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Thanks very much.

    In my opinion the rolling happens when the driver comes down to the final drop of the pass at the wrong angle where the left front wheel strikes the ground where the tire is turned to the right in an attempt to make the right turn that comes up just after that. They potentially come down too fast and too close to the inside corner of the turn and then jump on the brakes as that outside front wheel strikes the ground and if they are top heavy with a narrow track then it flips the car over from the drivers side over, which is why both the green Cruiser and the white Hilux both rolled over in that orientation.

    Watch our descent again where I come down in the Patrol and pay attention to my front left wheel where I come down and then imagine that wheel turned more in to the right than what it is and then jumping hard on the brakes. It's not hard to imagine my theory is close to the truth.

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HKirby For This Useful Post:


  28. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,258
    Thanked: 2772

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by HKirby View Post
    Thanks very much.

    In my opinion the rolling happens when the driver comes down to the final drop of the pass at the wrong angle where the left front wheel strikes the ground where the tire is turned to the right in an attempt to make the right turn that comes up just after that. They potentially come down too fast and too close to the inside corner of the turn and then jump on the brakes as that outside front wheel strikes the ground and if they are top heavy with a narrow track then it flips the car over from the drivers side over, which is why both the green Cruiser and the white Hilux both rolled over in that orientation.

    Watch our descent again where I come down in the Patrol and pay attention to my front left wheel where I come down and then imagine that wheel turned more in to the right than what it is and then jumping hard on the brakes. It's not hard to imagine my theory is close to the truth.
    I do agree. I have watched your line going down. Experience goes a long way. It is also a natural reaction to steer away from an edge or any danger.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/04/29 at 04:32 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    30
    Posts
    96
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Subscribed

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to goofy50 For This Useful Post:


  31. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    70
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Down Van Zyls Pass Towing Trailers and Caravans: Patrol, Cruiser, and Jimny

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    Great videos (still working way through)
    Any chance of some more pictures of the Jimnys packing system
    Will gladly share - first two images the drawer system which I used on the trip is home build and consists of four ammo boxes and a 35lt fridge/freezer and a cutlery set in the brown canvas which is sucked on to the rear window. The foldout table is also convenient and takes about no space but very handy. Ample space available on the sides and on top of the drawer system then also a lot of space under and behind the seats. With a Botswana overland trip in planning my son upgraded my old system to accommodate a Luna Legacy 50lt fridge & freezer, a DC to DC battery system with a 100w solar panel as well as a 50lt water tank with a water pump. Images three to end. We finished this upgrade just before lock down so could not even put it to the test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00040.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	569470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	569471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1971.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	518.5 KB 
ID:	569472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1975.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	569473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1981.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	569474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1973.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	433.4 KB 
ID:	569475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1984.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	569476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1982.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	415.4 KB 
ID:	569477  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1978.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	569478  

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomthomas For This Useful Post:


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •