What would you buy and why

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What would you buy and why

I want to build an overland truck and I will be doing between 30 and 40.000 km a year.
    I'm looking at a patrol 4.2 SGL diesel ( I think the code is Y60)
    Or a patrol 4.5 GL petrol ( think the code is Y61)
    Considering the millage and the fact that mutch of the time is in the bush.
    Also the fact that I do tours with guest's and I should not be the hold up due to breakdown.
    What vehicle would you buy.?

Default Re: What would you buy and why

They have patrol's in denmark?

They do indeed....But....this is a vehicle I'm going to buy in south Africa

I'd buy the Y61 TD42. If I could find one.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd buy the Y61 TD42. If I could find one.
    Please argue why that would be your choice?

There is little difference in age between Y60 and Y61 within the engine options you are looking for, as the Y60 was only really sold here from about '95 and the Y61 was upgraded to the 4.8 engine around 2003.

The TD42 Y60 is VERY scarce here, and guys who have them seldom sell them. Also, keep in mind that the ones sold here were all normally aspirated, so pretty slow. The same is true of the Y61 officially sold here.

So any TD42 you find in a wagon with a turbo on it, either has an aftermarket turbo conversion or it's a grey import. Neither is necessarily problematic though. Getting parts for a grey import is a little more risky, as Nissan SA only have officially-imported cars on their system, and that means you need to pay 100% up front before they order the part. As for how reliable a aftermarket turbo'd TD42 is, that depends on how knowledgable the mechanic was, and how careful and diligent the previous owners were. Turbo TD's like to overheat, and that breaks them pretty quickly.

As for the difference between the two shapes, I believe the Y60 is slightly better off-road, as it is a bit lighter, has less overhang in front and has softer anti-sway bars, thus a little more flex. This last can of course be corrected easily.

On the other hand, the Y61 is perhaps a little more comfortable, and will be a bit newer (and thus also more expensive). The one big difference though is that the Y61 has a larger radiator, and thus keeping it cool is easier.

Lastly, between the petrol and diesel I believe there is little to choose in terms of reliability. Both will last almost forever if looked after and kept cool, and both will fail if not. One big deciding factor in your usage might be fuel range.

When you have decided, join the SA Patrol forum (patrol4x4.co.za), then ask Tinus Lotz to look for a car for you.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

I would buy a Toyota Land Cruiser. They are used extensively throughout Africa and can be repaired in some very remote places if necessary. Spares are also readily available throughout Africa if needed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Errol For This Useful Post:

Well, the guys from Stoftrappers tours has a Patrol GQ. It was originally a tb42. Then converted to a td42 turbo, and just recently they pulled out that td42 motor and put in a tb45. They seem to be experienced tour operators, I guess their motor selection says something? I only have experience with the tb42 in a gq, which I actually really liked now that I think of it, and I’ll soon get experience with a td42 turbo, once lockdown ends.

ive never been in a tb45 patrol before. But, what I’ve heard is they’re no racing car, but a more reliable motor you will battle to find. And they’re going for peanuts these days too it seems.

edit: sorry. Tb42 = petrol 4.2
    td42 = diesel 4.2
    tb45 = petrol 4.5
    Last edited by Graham; 2020/04/23 at 08:23 PM.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Bullet proof engine. Great fuel consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichisAfrika View Post
    Please argue why that would be your choice?
    Percivamus

Sorry Graham but they wanted revs
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Well, the guys from Stoftrappers tours has a Patrol GQ. It was originally a tb42. Then converted to a td42 turbo, and just recently they pulled out that td42 motor and put in a tb45. They seem to be experienced tour operators, I guess their motor selection says something? I only have experience with the tb42 in a gq, which I actually really liked now that I think of it, and I’ll soon get experience with a td42 turbo, once lockdown ends.

ive never been in a tb45 patrol before. But, what I’ve heard is they’re no racing car, but a more reliable motor you will battle to find. And they’re going for peanuts these days too it seems.

edit: sorry. Tb42 = petrol 4.2
    td42 = diesel 4.2
    tb45 = petrol 4.5
    Percivamus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

This is the vehicle I'm referring to.

1996 4.2 SGL. Millage 262000, diesel.
    I have not seen the vehicle live...apparently it has full service history from dealerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Crop800x600.jpeg 
Views:	205 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	568678

I don't know much about these vehicles..
    Is it a 4.2 liter engine when its diesel?

thanks for the valuable answers by the way...

Rich, you sure that's a Diesel?? The GQ came in 4,2 Petrol and Diesel. I actually bought one new in 1994 ( I think ), Petrol SGL, in white. STUNNING car.
    Then, regarding your OP:

I think your "tool for YOUR job" would be :

1) Land Rover Defender etc etc

2) Land Cruiser 80/100 Series etc etc

3) Nissan Patrol GQ/GU etc etc.

My choice?? Difficult one. I've driven maybe 20/30 Land Cruisers in my life, anything from a 40/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Series, and LOVE them.

Currently have an old Patrol GU 4500, and also love THAT one.

Really not much to choose between the Patrol and the Cruiser - the Trol IS definitely more bang for your buck......example, you can get a VERY clean GU at less than a 80 Series Cruiser.

What would sway me towards a Cruiser would be availability of parts, I think. Once again, my opinion........there may be heaps of Patrol parts available in a place like Zim, for instance, making this viewpoint invalid, then.

In RSA, unfortunately, Nissan SA has always dropped the ball with marketing and general "neglect" of the Patrol, which is a huge pity, they could have gotten a HUGE chunk of Toyota's Cruiser sales if they wanted. Sadly not.

I, personally, would be hard pressed not to buy a Patrol again, maybe the next one is a 4800 (manual). But I have absolutely NO reason to be wanting to get rid of my current 1998 GRX - at all. There's just nothing to replace it with, value wise, condition wise, and "feel good factor"wise - not by a loooooong shot.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

I had a 4.2 L diesel Y60 in the Congo for 2 years and it was excellent. I've run Land Cruisers in Oman & Algeria (Series 100), and around Africa (Series 80) and they are indeed excellent too. In terms of 4x4s I've also run 3 Jeeps, a Mercedes Gelandewagen, 2 X-Trails, and a 4-Runner.

When we bought our current vehicle we wanted to consider a Patrol however Nissan had run into limitations on import numbers so none was available. We bought a Montero, which in my view is the equal of the current series Land Cruiser, and although marginally less capable than the current Patrol, it's a lot more comfortable, better-equipped, and half the price (here) of both the LC and the Patrol.

So, to your question: Y60 4.2 SGL diesel vs. Y61 4.5 GL petrol. I think that either will be fine in terms of reliability and capability to go where you want. The diesel will be more expensive in parts if you need to fix anything. I would tend towards the petrol engine, because in some "remote" parts of Africa you'll find petrol but diesel will be more difficult to find. It's also a lot easier to clean out an extra fuel can when used for petrol than for diesel. Petrol will be quieter on long runs on the highway (think Great North Road from Lusaka to Mbeya, for example). If you're going to tow a trailer then you're better off with the diesel though.

PS: Another factor is that diesels are not going to be permitted before long in some parts of the world. It's unlikely to be a major problem in much of Africa for a while, however if you plan to take the vehicle to Denmark at some point you may run into problems. I'm sure you know that Denmark led the initial effort to prohibit diesel in the EU; diesel vehicles will be banned within as little as 3 years in Athens, Brussels, Madrid, Milan, Paris, and Rome (and in Copenhagen at the end of this decade) . Now obviously you can get around this in the sense of parking outside the city and taking public transport, however there's already a reduction in interest in buying diesels in Europe. So, if (big if) you were to plan on taking the vehicle to Europe, and on keeping it longer than your planned Africa trip, then petrol might be better, not only in practicality but also in terms of emissions and resale value.

I would not look at a older model patrol like the one in your picture, parts will be a issue.

For more cross africa type trips you would have to look at toyota or defender. Purely out of a parts availability perspective. Don't get me wrong, the patrol is a awesome vehicle and value for money is hard to beat, but parts...

Have a chat with the local tour operator you work together with when doing your tours and they will probably say the same.

Thanks a lot for your replys...
    I'm afraid that you might cut me loose now when I tell you that I already have this 80 series (petrol)
    And that is exactly my concern...
    I have this idea that diesel is cheaper (it is) and that I can run my trips cheaper if i get a diesel.
    But I guess that the millage I'll get is more or less the same.
    So i save on fuel....BUT will my overall running cost be the same?
    Service- maintainers- ect...?
    Further more (although this is a Nissan thread)it seems that most is in favor of cruiser....
    I'm gonna live in south Africa and not bring it to Europe....
    I have taken a vehicle to Europe once (second picture)
    Once is enough (specially in a series)
    I AM the guide and all my guests (mainly Danish) are driving new rentals (hilux) so its quite important that I don't have to lie , face up under my car all the time (see series 3) so reliability is key.
    I know I know....buy a new defender or cruiser.....
    NOT...
    I dont have the cash AND.....
    I want to have the history, the adventure the look, the......
    You know what I mean.
    It should be a diesel and it should have full dealer maintenance and it should be R85000
    I'm tempted....
    BUT if I buy it then I'm not listening to you guys and then...why did I ask?
    Oooo yes...
    Anybody know about diff locks on the nissan (a miss on the cruiser meaning that it's only usable for town and gravel )
    Please dont kick me out and please keep the experience flowing so this grey import can get his head straight Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190726_072353.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	568689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1571298764067.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	568690

Rich, South Africa is unfortunately besotted with Toyota. To the point that it's almost a religion. There is a thriving Patrol owners group here, and we have more than enough backup when it comes to spares from a couple of independent operators.

As for running costs, the Diesel is significantly cheaper right up until the moment you have to open the engine. it is CRITICAL to find a good engine, and to keep it happy. A re-build on a TD42 will cost you over R70 000. The TB45 will cost less than half that to re-build.

But the diesel's fuel consumption is about 60% that of the petrol, although the services are more frequent.

As for diff lock, take note that the Y60 diesel did not have one, only limited slip diff in the rear axle. Y61's do have factory diff lock in the rear axle.

That car you show looks tidy from outside, but if the price is R85k, I think that's a bit much (although if the engine is in perfect condition it might be worth the money).
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by RichisAfrika View Post
    Thanks a lot for your replys...
    I'm afraid that you might cut me loose now when I tell you that I already have this 80 series (petrol)
    And that is exactly my concern...
    I have this idea that diesel is cheaper (it is) and that I can run my trips cheaper if i get a diesel.
    But I guess that the millage I'll get is more or less the same.
    So i save on fuel....BUT will my overall running cost be the same?
    Service- maintainers- ect...?
    Further more (although this is a Nissan thread)it seems that most is in favor of cruiser....
    I'm gonna live in south Africa and not bring it to Europe....
    I have taken a vehicle to Europe once (second picture)
    Once is enough (specially in a series)
    I AM the guide and all my guests (mainly Danish) are driving new rentals (hilux) so its quite important that I don't have to lie , face up under my car all the time (see series 3) so reliability is key.
    I know I know....buy a new defender or cruiser.....
    NOT...
    I dont have the cash AND.....
    I want to have the history, the adventure the look, the......
    You know what I mean.
    It should be a diesel and it should have full dealer maintenance and it should be R85000
    I'm tempted....
    BUT if I buy it then I'm not listening to you guys and then...why did I ask?
    Oooo yes...
    Anybody know about diff locks on the nissan (a miss on the cruiser meaning that it's only usable for town and gravel )
    Please dont kick me out and please keep the experience flowing so this grey import can get his head straight Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190726_072353.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	568689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1571298764067.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	568690

I am a big fan of the Patrols, allof them, however it depends where exactly you are going with this tour.

The Nissan network is not great outside SA, and when you find a franchise (usually a multibrand franchise), they hardly have any stock and they look at you as if you are some kind of alien. Parts will be twice the real price.

I would say, drive the same hilux (or LC) that your clients are driving, if you are venturing outside of SA.

If you are staying within SA with your group, then you have more choice.

Good luck!

I love the Patrols, but I have to agree with everybody on the one issue: Toyota is a better bet in Africa.

A decent LC80 with a 1HD-T engine. Same as the Patrol but different.
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast