Mampoer ketel - Page 12

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Mampoer ketel

Default Re: Mampoer ketel

This is incredibly interesting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

And then we get to what is called Ginning. Since we now understand an alcohol base.

So this is a copy & paste because it's faster than me typing:

Several different techniques for the production of gin have evolved since its early origins, this evolution being reflective of ongoing modernization in distillation and flavouring techniques. As a result of this evolution, gins can be broadly differentiated into three basic styles:

Pot distilled gin represents the earliest style of gin, and is traditionally produced by pot distilling a fermented grain mash (malt wine) from barley or other grains, then redistilling it with flavouring botanicals to extract the aromatic compounds. A double gin can be produced by redistilling the first gin again with more botanicals. Due to the use of pot stills, the alcohol content of the distillate is relatively low; around 68% ABV for a single distilled gin or 76% ABV for a double gin. This type of gin is often aged in tanks or wooden casks, and retains a heavier, malty flavour that gives it a marked resemblance to whisky. Korenwijn (grain wine) and the oude (old) style of Geneva gin or Holland gin represent the most prominent gins of this class.[24]

Column distilled gin evolved following the invention of the Coffey still, and is produced by first distilling high proof (e.g. 96% ABV) neutral spirits from a fermented mash or wash using a refluxing still such as a column still. The fermentable base for this spirit may be derived from grain, sugar beets, grapes, potatoes, sugar cane, plain sugar, or any other material of agricultural origin. The highly concentrated spirit is then redistilled with juniper berries and other botanicals in a pot still. Most often, the botanicals are suspended in a "gin basket" positioned within the head of the still, which allows the hot alcoholic vapours to extract flavouring components from the botanical charge.[25] This method yields a gin lighter in flavour than the older pot still method, and results in either a distilled gin or London dry gin,[24] depending largely upon how the spirit is finished.

Compound gin is commonly made by flavouring neutral spirits with essences, other natural flavourings or natural botanical ingredients left to infuse in neutral spirit without redistillation.

So personally we make a series of fruit gins using a combination of Pot distill gin ( low alcohol base and then infused botanicals, mostly juniper berries), the Column distill (run the murky infusion through a column still to get a 90+%) and a Compound process using fruit essences. So a 3 step process, but smooth enough to sip.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Jelo - thanks for taking the time and trouble, Boet!

Being and Old School "proe en probeer weer stoker", I just caught plenty useful tips!!!
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post

Being and Old School "proe en probeer weer stoker", I just caught plenty useful tips!!!
    All comments I make have an invisible "I'm not an expert so please verify all techniques before attempting" proviso attached.

Much better distillers out there than me. And brewers. But I have been brewing and distilling for around 6 years.
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yes. So basically you ferment out sugar to around 10% ABV. Since sugar is essentially flavourless.
    Stripping run is just to clean and concentrate: remove any methanols and higher alcohols and provide a more concentrated alcohol base. Anything between 70% and 10% depending on where you start and end the cut of the run. (Cutting the run: chopping the batch up into heads, hearts and tails and various point inside the hearts.)
    Jelo, i am led to believe that methanols are only present if root stock (pips-stalks-grains etc) was in the mash.
    So a pure sugar wash would/should have ZERO methanols and evaporate directly to Ethanol at the 78C mark!

Just curious if you have experienced same?

PS: My first sugar mash went sour on me, busy with my 2nd after taking better precautions

Jelo, thank you very much for all this information.

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    Jelo, i am led to believe that methanols are only present if root stock (pips-stalks-grains etc) was in the mash.
    So a pure sugar wash would/should have ZERO methanols and evaporate directly to Ethanol at the 78C mark!

Just curious if you have experienced same?

PS: My first sugar mash went sour on me, busy with my 2nd after taking better precautions
    I'm lead to believe this as well, but I have no idea how good the sugar refining process was so I err on the side of caution as I don't want to go blind or die. I certainly saw a decent amount of low temp run off yesterday at around the 64 degree point which I discard anyway.
    Percivamus

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Being and Old School "probeer, proe en pass uit stoker", I just caught plenty useful tips!!!
    Phixed my previous post...
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    When the house arrest is over I need to come and have a look Nico. There is, I suspect, a Richards Bay produced rum in my future, molasses is available locally

I just dropped 4 liters fermented molasses and sugar into my still. Then there is 8litres more to go in (still is only 5l).

First heads should be off in 3 hours, then the heart will follow.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I just dropped 4 liters fermented molasses and sugar into my still. Then there is 8litres more to go in (still is only 5l).

First heads should be off in 3 hours, then the heart will follow.
    wow 3 hours to distill 4 liters, do you have a copper allembic still?
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension 8

Please, I really think somebody on this forum should start building good quality 50/100 liter, electric stainless steel reflux stills with PID controllers.... Someting like the T500, I will be your first client! Did I say please?
    Last edited by JJ-Namibia; 2020/05/25 at 03:30 PM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJ-Namibia For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JJ-Namibia View Post
    Please, I really think somebody on this forum should start building good quality 50/100 liter, electric stainless steel reflux stills with PID controllers.... Someting like the T500, I will be your first client! Did I say please?
    What are you willing to pay?
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    What are you willing to pay?
    Hi Jelo, simular to what the T500 is going for, I have no idea what the material will cost, labor etc . . I will have to courier to Namibia .... Maybe we can do a group build or buy? Anyone else intersted?
    1994 Defender TDi 200

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JJ-Namibia For This Useful Post:

Hi Jelo, simular to what the T500 is going for, I have no idea what the material will cost, labor etc . . I will have to courier to Namibia .... Maybe we can do a group build or buy? Anyone else intersted?
    Yes, I would be interested but need more information. What does a “T500” look like? I need something decent (from a display point) as it would be going into my “mancave” next to my stainless steel pizza oven.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
    Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
    VW Touareg 3.0 Blue Motion – 2011 (Swambo’s)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Sport - 2003 Sold
    Mods.: Frankenlift Premuim II - 2.5" Lift Kit
    ARB Bullbar, Airsprings - Rear
    Conqueror Commander-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep001 View Post
    Yes, I would be interested but need more information. What does a “T500” look like? I need something decent (from a display point) as it would be going into my “mancave” next to my stainless steel pizza oven.
    Hi Jeep001, have a look here: https://stillspirits.com/products/turbo-500-still

The T500 have a 25 liter boiler, a bit too small for all the work that must be done making a wash/mash etc. It seams very easy to use. It also does not have a PID controller if I am correct. With a PID controller you can set the temperature to get the methanol out first (head and foreshot) and the push up the temperature to get the ethanol out. When removing the bits and bobs from the reflux colum, it pretty much functions like a pot still, a win win for me.

One can/should be able to use the PID controller to regulate your mash temperature with a electric blanket or something. Also, when doing the design one can look a more than one element as well... Lots of ideas Jelo knows more about this than most and I stand corrected on what I have read and looked at on Youtube

Disclaimer: I want to make distilled water....
    Last edited by JJ-Namibia; 2020/05/25 at 06:13 PM.
    1994 Defender TDi 200

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JJ-Namibia For This Useful Post:

The T500 have a 25 liter boiler, a bit too small for all the work that must be done making a wash/mash etc. It seams very easy to use. It also does not have a PID controller if I am correct. With a PID controller you can set the temperature to get the methanol out first (head and foreshot) and the push up the temperature to get the ethanol out. When removing the bits and bobs from the reflux colum, it pretty much functions like a pot still, a win win for me.

One can/should be able to use the PID controller to regulate your mash temperature with a electric blanket or something. Also, when doing the design one can look a more than one element as well... Lots of ideas Jelo knows more about this than most and I stand corrected on what I have read and looked at on Youtube

Disclaimer: I want to make distilled water.... [/QUOTE]

Like this

Quote Originally Posted by circe View Post
    Like this[/QUOTE]Yes, that as well, can make white spirits, cut, flavor or flavor and then cut ... Depending what you want to make. Is that water?
    Last edited by JJ-Namibia; 2020/05/25 at 06:56 PM.
    1994 Defender TDi 200

I have been looking at the following. Seeing that it is s/steel and some are heated using an Induction stove plate. Not sure if this would be okay but I prefer the non-gas route. For me it is important that it looks descent as well.
    Thanks
    Edwin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Distiller1.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	573035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Distiller2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	573036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Distiller3.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	573037  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
    Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
    Conqueror Commander-Sold

I have also looked at the "Mampoer Kettle" from Zebrabraai. Here is the link: Link: www.zebrabraai.co.za

It looks great but I think a bit pricy. A 20L would be R8,500.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10L Ketel.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	573038  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
    Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
    Conqueror Commander-Sold

I finally managed to get my big boy to me (pictures attached). Quite old it is - "Eigendom der ZAR" is stamped into it, underneath the old Transvaal Republic's emblem.

Still works like a charm - if you've got a cooling coil, which I now haven't. It was too big to get to me. So far my befuddled thoughts are to go with a 6m x 22mm straight copper pipe (duck-bill's outlet is 22,45mm so I'll have to flair it) and a cooling jacket made from 6mx 4" irrigation pipe. I've never done this - could something like this work or am I over simplifying radically??

Jelo, Toxxyc, you other guys with knowledge, what's your thinking?
    Wowser..That still is a National heritage piece. I sold a similar still without the ZAR emblem for R10k. Yours will most probably be worth in the region of R40K to R50k Pas hom mooi op....Baie nice item om te he.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange.2003 WJ Jeep..NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor Forum Rebuild thread

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....4 inch Home build Long arm lift
    Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)
    Man made it....Man Fix it.....
    I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie7 For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast