Gas and paraffin lights

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gas and paraffin lights

Is there still uses for e.g. Cadac type gas lights for camping or other activities?
    I am cleaning up and was wondering whether they still have a use or are used. I bought some when I started camping but then I switched to a paraffin Coleman.
    I really loved the quality of light from the Coleman and packing carefully I rarely used more than one or two mantles on a long trip.
    I still have a brand new Coleman lamp as a spare.
    Then the LED's arrived and I just could not justify using the gas lamps or the Coleman any more.
    The only use I can think of now is at home during a power outage and I have used them for that purpose. A couple of charged LED's are , however, even then, the better option!
    Any comments?

Default Re: Gas and paraffin lights

I also dug up two gas lights recently. I couldn't throw them out. Too many memories. I'm way too sentimental and bit of a hoarder, I know.
    I cannot see myself using them again, so they'll have to go at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus P Venter View Post
    Is there still uses for e.g. Cadac type gas lights for camping or other activities?
    I am cleaning up and was wondering whether they still have a use or are used. I bought some when I started camping but then I switched to a paraffin Coleman.
    I really loved the quality of light from the Coleman and packing carefully I rarely used more than one or two mantles on a long trip.
    Then the LED's arrived and I just could not justify using the gas lamps or the Coleman any more.
    The only use I can think of now is at home during a power outage and I have used them for that purpose. A couple of charged LED's are , however, even then, the better option!
    Any comments?

Interesting thread, and I am sure there might be some interesting answers to it. Like many, I have also cleaned out the garage during the lockdown, and have found my old Cadac gas lamp, and was wondering the same thing....is there still use for it ? Will I ever use it again ? With LED's now making life so easy, probably never will use it again, but I just could not throw it out
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Wildebeest Kalfie

I am in the same boat. That thought of the sound of a gas lamp or Coleman lamp sure brings back memories. I have a gas cylinder in the van for the stove and gas geyser, so keeping the gas lamp as a back up.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

I keep mine for fishing, just love having them on the waters edge with the rods at night
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Eveleigh For This Useful Post:

Gas lighting was the first street lighting (not here but in Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus P Venter View Post
    Coleman lamps are junk, throw them away, or I'll take them off your hands....

The light Coleman lamps gives off is a different light to battery powered lights, you will find they don't attract nearly as much insects as battery lamps. My trusty 237A 500Cp still works beautifully.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    Coleman lamps are junk, throw them away, or I'll take them off your hands....

The light Coleman lamps gives off is a different light to battery powered lights, you will find they don't attract nearly as much insects as battery lamps. My trusty 237A 500Cp still works beautifully.
    On my feed this post came in as "Coleman lamps are junk, throw them away"
    First instinct was to fly over here and use the broom to clean ..... .... I will also take them off your hands.

There is just something about the hiss of a gas light next to the fishing waters and the old Coleman is nostalgia second to none..........but will I go back/

The Coleman and other paraffin types can make a big stinky mess if they leak and it means extra fuel as well, gas lamps don't leak as badly but they have other issues like mantels and falling over.
    With Led it is a simple case of switching on and you have light and even if you run on an alarm battery you can still have enough power for a lekker camping weekend or at worst charge via the cigarette lighter.
    Not sure if the led's I use are a different frequency of light but I have been very lucky and have had minimal goggos at my camp. Do not switch on a fluorescent though, instant swarming.
    Led's are just so versatile and can be made to work in about any set up, you can even hang them on a fishing rod and make it look like a street lamp

My Coleman hangs in my entrance porch by my front door and is joined by my grandfathers railway keys and our name plate, great conversation pieces
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Well I look at it this way. As long as you have everything charged and filled, then you have plan A and Plan B. If the led lamps were used and not charged, then when needed they are dead, you can turn to the trusty gas lamp.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

They don't have much going for them now
    Not even as a decorative item like the old paraffin blowtorches..

And you can warm your hands, as well

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    And you can warm your hands, as well
    Yes you just reminded me why we don't use them vs LED. Got 2 x grandchildren and those lamps get super hot.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

On my last trip to the USA I made a point to buy genuine new Coleman mantles and a generator( the-liquid-to-gas-converter-fiddly-bob) for my Coleman Dual Fuel Lamp , but have not fired it up again.

Initially I thought that 10 plus hours of light of a tank of fuel was pretty good, but sheesh ....with LEDs these days that is not an achievement to get it even of a little gate motor battery !
    Last edited by vlakkie; 2020/04/21 at 07:57 PM.
    Old:1998 Hilux SC 3000D
    Old: 2001 Hilux DC KZTE
    Old: 2007 Fortuner 3.0D4D
    Current: VW T5.1 BiTdi Transporter

I still have 3 x paraffin storm lanterns. A old railway coach/ shunting light(white and red). A gas lamp and a small cartridge type gas lamp. there is no way that i will get rid of them. They may still serve a purpose. Will i ever use them again? Who knows. I like to be prepared.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

I grew up on a farm without electricity and only had coleman and Aladin lanterns.
    I fire up the coleman every now and again when I am feeling nostalgic.
    I use it for camping as well, great light.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

My gas lamp is in storage and hasn't seen any use in decades, but I have never even considered getting rid of it.
    The LEDs on the outside of my caravan is very useful and obviously hassle free and always instantaneously available, as is the extension LED that plugs into my caravan. They are however only used when "real" light is required for preparing food, washing up and stuff like that.
    The paraffin lamps go everywhere with us and are used every evening while camping. We have quite a few of them and my wife will strategically place them to create the required effect and for max utility. We thus camp in low light and I will use the little penlight LED in my pocket when something has to be lit up, like the inside of my fridge to find the correct brand name on the bottle.
    Oh, and our fridge is a 3-way ZERO that run on gas while in the bush. We are thus very light on the battery and I have never needed to charge the caravan battery while on holiday.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/05/11 at 06:26 AM.

Ja, LED lighting is like florescent tubes. Bright but cold light which is fine for work places.
    We eat by candle light. (I hope they don't stop manufacturing these!)
    An excellent (but not efficient) light are the 12V 50W downlighters. I read that their light spectrum is the closest to a 'black body'
    This is a theoretical light source that emits light as it heats up. The light it emits has a perfect light spectrum..

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    I grew up on a farm without electricity and only had coleman and Aladin lanterns.
    I fire up the coleman every now and again when I am feeling nostalgic.
    I use it for camping as well, great light.
    At last amongst all the oil lamps someone also used the Alladin. We used them and much less sweat and quit if you compare it to a Coleman. They also used the same method to such the oil up. I use oil as many did not buy paraffin with farm diesel for free.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Ja, LED lighting is like florescent tubes. Bright but cold light which is fine for work places.
    We eat by candle light. (I hope they don't stop manufacturing these!)
    An excellent (but not efficient) light are the 12V 50W downlighters. I read that their light spectrum is the closest to a 'black body'
    This is a theoretical light source that emits light as it heats up. The light it emits has a perfect light spectrum..

Warm white LEDs are available, and LEDs with a yellow diffuser is widely used.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Warm white LEDs are available, and LEDs with a yellow diffuser is widely used.
    Yes I know and these different colours do help with the ambiance that the light produces.
    But remember florescent tube lighting also had different colour options but one wouldn't install these in your lounge etc.
    I know I'm splitting hairs here but when people say they like candle or paraffin lamps I accept it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast