Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Results 361 to 377 of 377
  1. #361
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fourways
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,212
    Thanked: 659

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Then, you have a winner!
    I'd love to watch the whole process, I find bodywork fascinating, a real "black art" to me.
    It is painstaking, a lot of sweat, swearwords and beer or coffee for the cooler mornings! (Speaking from experience here)

    As a first timer to this 'art' I am looking forward to reaching the rewarding phase of my build when it all starts to come together!
    Rob,

    D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    It is painstaking, a lot of sweat, swearwords and beer or coffee for the cooler mornings! (Speaking from experience here)

    As a first timer to this 'art' I am looking forward to reaching the rewarding phase of my build when it all starts to come together!
    That satisfaction of the final product when you know you built it with your own hands :-)



  3. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:


  4. #363
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,977
    Thanked: 4017

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    It is painstaking, a lot of sweat, swearwords and beer or coffee for the cooler mornings! (Speaking from experience here)

    As a first timer to this 'art' I am looking forward to reaching the rewarding phase of my build when it all starts to come together!
    I can well imagine...I'm trying to pluck up the courage to chop my D2's roof off and replace it.
    Anything mechanical, I'm game, but body work......eish.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  5. #364
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fourways
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,212
    Thanked: 659

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I can well imagine...I'm trying to pluck up the courage to chop my D2's roof off and replace it.
    Anything mechanical, I'm game, but body work......eish.
    It's actually a lot easier than it appears, we were ok with bodywork but structural bodywork like the pillars etc - we just decided to over-brace the pillars when cut so that the whole thing doesn't pull askew. I think in your case this will be a good idea to install an '8 legged' brace connecting each pillar and to the floor in a few sections... Some will say this is a bit of an overkill and they may be right however we found that everything just welded back into place perfectly. So a bit of precaution goes a long way.

    When cutting out the sections of pillar at Leimers you could see how the body pulls when pillars aren't braced.

    As I have said before if 2 guys who have never done body work and never welded before can do it then I am sure you can do it too. Happy to share lessons learned and be on speed dial for advice when you cut your D2
    Rob,

    D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

  6. #365
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,977
    Thanked: 4017

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    It's actually a lot easier than it appears, we were ok with bodywork but structural bodywork like the pillars etc - we just decided to over-brace the pillars when cut so that the whole thing doesn't pull askew. I think in your case this will be a good idea to install an '8 legged' brace connecting each pillar and to the floor in a few sections... Some will say this is a bit of an overkill and they may be right however we found that everything just welded back into place perfectly. So a bit of precaution goes a long way.

    When cutting out the sections of pillar at Leimers you could see how the body pulls when pillars aren't braced.

    As I have said before if 2 guys who have never done body work and never welded before can do it then I am sure you can do it too. Happy to share lessons learned and be on speed dial for advice when you cut your D2
    Thank you for the offer, I will likely be in touch. Just got to round up a few pennies for the new screen and paint etc first.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  7. #366
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Well, the heart has spoken louder than the numbers, and the decision taken is that Fugard will live

    He is being bought back from the insurance and with any luck I can fix him up good as new (or better). Even though the payout won't cover all the repairs (the book value of our Disco's is dismally low) it will still be much more economical than either starting again, or moving to a later-model vehicle.

    These old Disco's are still amazing value for money when you consider where they can go and how much comfort and economy they have. I was chatting to a mechanic and once again realised how much money later-model vehicles with IFS cost to maintain if you really give that front suspension a pounding.

    Fugard's main job these days is to travel, off the beaten track, and to get there comfortably. I have a bicycle to go to work
    With my limited budget, it's not easy to find a vehicle that can do a better job.



  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:


  9. #367
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    While I'm in there, I need to address some rust around the rear quarter-lights, and look at the roof lining (thinking of applying Wall&All - textured paint - like I saw someone on here do.

    I've already removed the underfelt/sound deadening under the carpets (since it was a rust risk) and I'm thinking of doing something different with the floor while the car is stripped - perhaps a new coat of paint and then some thick, removable rubber matting?



  10. #368
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,750
    Thanked: 484

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Antz

    after removing the carpets etc. did you find any rust spots ?

  11. #369
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Antz

    after removing the carpets etc. did you find any rust spots ?
    @RossJ I last checked about 18 months ago when I removed the underfelt/soundproofing and threw it all away. What had happened was that I was in the Drakensberg and it was unusually rainy... I had to pack up my tent and sleep in the car - where I still got wet! I think water comes in at the rear quarter-light and drips down; some also comes in at the front windscreen.

    I found very little rust, just a bit of surface rust. Thankfully this car doesn't seem to have been out and about much in recent years.



  12. #370
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Benoni.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,525
    Thanked: 1243

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    While I'm in there, I need to address some rust around the rear quarter-lights, and look at the roof lining (thinking of applying Wall&All - textured paint - like I saw someone on here do.

    I've already removed the underfelt/sound deadening under the carpets (since it was a rust risk) and I'm thinking of doing something different with the floor while the car is stripped - perhaps a new coat of paint and then some thick, removable rubber matting?
    What about a bakkie rubberized type coating? A lot easier to wash clean and it won't trap moisture underneath like a removable rubber mat.

  13. #371
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    What about a bakkie rubberized type coating? A lot easier to wash clean and it won't trap moisture underneath like a removable rubber mat.
    Yes, I was thinking along those lines too. And it will provide a little bit of sound deadening. Then you put carpet mats over it, and then rubber mats.



  14. #372
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bergbron
    Age
    46
    Posts
    539
    Thanked: 52

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Good morning Antvz

    I noticed this body and chassis on FB ... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

    Not sure if you have seen this or if it could be of assistance to you....

    If it is still available it may be worth making the chap a cheeky offer ...

    If this is old news please ignore my post.

    Hope it is helpful.

    Cheers
    Chris

  15. #373
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Posts
    254
    Thanked: 164

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    While I'm in there, I need to address some rust around the rear quarter-lights, and look at the roof lining (thinking of applying Wall&All - textured paint - like I saw someone on here do.
    Why not redo it like I did mine? It is quick to do and I think it looks fairly good for a first try.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	660392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fronttorear.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	660393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	660394

  16. #374
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisv View Post
    Good morning Antvz

    I noticed this body and chassis on FB ... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

    Not sure if you have seen this or if it could be of assistance to you....

    If it is still available it may be worth making the chap a cheeky offer ...

    If this is old news please ignore my post.

    Hope it is helpful.

    Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris

    In fact my Indy alerted me to this one even before it went up on FB. Spoke to the guy and what he's asking is really not bad, I just realised that the amount of work to transfer everything over is going to be too much. Especially the dash and stuff. If it still had the drivetrain with manual transmission I would have jumped at the chance though, even for a bit more money.



  17. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:


  18. #375
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by _FC View Post
    Why not redo it like I did mine? It is quick to do and I think it looks fairly good for a first try.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	660392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fronttorear.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	660393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	660394
    That does look very good.



  19. #376
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,750
    Thanked: 484

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    That does look very good.

    I have seen a few "roof liner" fixes and that looks by far the best yet

  20. #377
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 309

    Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

    Quote Originally Posted by _FC View Post
    Why not redo it like I did mine? It is quick to do and I think it looks fairly good for a first try.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	660392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fronttorear.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	660393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	660394
    @_FC do you have a link to the thread where you did this?

    Or would you mind sharing the procedure and materials used? How is the glue holding up after some time?



Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •