Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Then, you have a winner!
    I'd love to watch the whole process, I find bodywork fascinating, a real "black art" to me.
    It is painstaking, a lot of sweat, swearwords and beer or coffee for the cooler mornings! (Speaking from experience here)

As a first timer to this 'art' I am looking forward to reaching the rewarding phase of my build when it all starts to come together!
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    It is painstaking, a lot of sweat, swearwords and beer or coffee for the cooler mornings! (Speaking from experience here)

As a first timer to this 'art' I am looking forward to reaching the rewarding phase of my build when it all starts to come together!
    That satisfaction of the final product when you know you built it with your own hands :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

I can well imagine...I'm trying to pluck up the courage to chop my D2's roof off and replace it.
    Anything mechanical, I'm game, but body work......eish.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I can well imagine...I'm trying to pluck up the courage to chop my D2's roof off and replace it.
    Anything mechanical, I'm game, but body work......eish.
    It's actually a lot easier than it appears, we were ok with bodywork but structural bodywork like the pillars etc - we just decided to over-brace the pillars when cut so that the whole thing doesn't pull askew. I think in your case this will be a good idea to install an '8 legged' brace connecting each pillar and to the floor in a few sections... Some will say this is a bit of an overkill and they may be right however we found that everything just welded back into place perfectly. So a bit of precaution goes a long way.

When cutting out the sections of pillar at Leimers you could see how the body pulls when pillars aren't braced.

As I have said before if 2 guys who have never done body work and never welded before can do it then I am sure you can do it too. Happy to share lessons learned and be on speed dial for advice when you cut your D2
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

It's actually a lot easier than it appears, we were ok with bodywork but structural bodywork like the pillars etc - we just decided to over-brace the pillars when cut so that the whole thing doesn't pull askew. I think in your case this will be a good idea to install an '8 legged' brace connecting each pillar and to the floor in a few sections... Some will say this is a bit of an overkill and they may be right however we found that everything just welded back into place perfectly. So a bit of precaution goes a long way.

When cutting out the sections of pillar at Leimers you could see how the body pulls when pillars aren't braced.

As I have said before if 2 guys who have never done body work and never welded before can do it then I am sure you can do it too. Happy to share lessons learned and be on speed dial for advice when you cut your D2
    Thank you for the offer, I will likely be in touch. Just got to round up a few pennies for the new screen and paint etc first.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Well, the heart has spoken louder than the numbers, and the decision taken is that Fugard will live

He is being bought back from the insurance and with any luck I can fix him up good as new (or better). Even though the payout won't cover all the repairs (the book value of our Disco's is dismally low) it will still be much more economical than either starting again, or moving to a later-model vehicle.

These old Disco's are still amazing value for money when you consider where they can go and how much comfort and economy they have. I was chatting to a mechanic and once again realised how much money later-model vehicles with IFS cost to maintain if you really give that front suspension a pounding.

Fugard's main job these days is to travel, off the beaten track, and to get there comfortably. I have a bicycle to go to work
    With my limited budget, it's not easy to find a vehicle that can do a better job.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

While I'm in there, I need to address some rust around the rear quarter-lights, and look at the roof lining (thinking of applying Wall&All - textured paint - like I saw someone on here do.

I've already removed the underfelt/sound deadening under the carpets (since it was a rust risk) and I'm thinking of doing something different with the floor while the car is stripped - perhaps a new coat of paint and then some thick, removable rubber matting?

Antz

after removing the carpets etc. did you find any rust spots ?

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Antz

after removing the carpets etc. did you find any rust spots ?
    @RossJ I last checked about 18 months ago when I removed the underfelt/soundproofing and threw it all away. What had happened was that I was in the Drakensberg and it was unusually rainy... I had to pack up my tent and sleep in the car - where I still got wet! I think water comes in at the rear quarter-light and drips down; some also comes in at the front windscreen.

I found very little rust, just a bit of surface rust. Thankfully this car doesn't seem to have been out and about much in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    While I'm in there, I need to address some rust around the rear quarter-lights, and look at the roof lining (thinking of applying Wall&All - textured paint - like I saw someone on here do.

I've already removed the underfelt/sound deadening under the carpets (since it was a rust risk) and I'm thinking of doing something different with the floor while the car is stripped - perhaps a new coat of paint and then some thick, removable rubber matting?
    What about a bakkie rubberized type coating? A lot easier to wash clean and it won't trap moisture underneath like a removable rubber mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    What about a bakkie rubberized type coating? A lot easier to wash clean and it won't trap moisture underneath like a removable rubber mat.
    Yes, I was thinking along those lines too. And it will provide a little bit of sound deadening. Then you put carpet mats over it, and then rubber mats.

Good morning Antvz

I noticed this body and chassis on FB ... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Not sure if you have seen this or if it could be of assistance to you....

If it is still available it may be worth making the chap a cheeky offer ...

If this is old news please ignore my post.

Hope it is helpful.

Cheers
    Chris

Why not redo it like I did mine? It is quick to do and I think it looks fairly good for a first try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	660392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fronttorear.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	660393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	660394

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisv View Post
    Good morning Antvz

I noticed this body and chassis on FB ... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Not sure if you have seen this or if it could be of assistance to you....

If it is still available it may be worth making the chap a cheeky offer ...

If this is old news please ignore my post.

Hope it is helpful.

Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris

In fact my Indy alerted me to this one even before it went up on FB. Spoke to the guy and what he's asking is really not bad, I just realised that the amount of work to transfer everything over is going to be too much. Especially the dash and stuff. If it still had the drivetrain with manual transmission I would have jumped at the chance though, even for a bit more money.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by _FC View Post
    Why not redo it like I did mine? It is quick to do and I think it looks fairly good for a first try.

That does look very good.

That does look very good.

I have seen a few "roof liner" fixes and that looks by far the best yet

Quote Originally Posted by _FC View Post

@_FC do you have a link to the thread where you did this?

Or would you mind sharing the procedure and materials used? How is the glue holding up after some time?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19