Discovery 1 The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Thank you, will get a quote. Postnet will charge about R1400, which is too much.
    Last I checked 30kg by weight or volume was around R180, amazing value.

They quote a touch over R1k from Tzaneen to Jhb. If I can't get through at the end of September, I'll strongly consider it. Thanks for the lead.

They quote a touch over R1k from Tzaneen to Jhb. If I can't get through at the end of September, I'll strongly consider it. Thanks for the lead.
    That sounds rather high, what is the weight and volumetric?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That sounds rather high, what is the weight and volumetric?
    Need to check properly. I did a very rough estimate at 70 kg.

Another thing, is that I would probably get a much cheaper rate from Polokwane, so if I do go that way I can always box it up and drive it out to a collection point there.

Need to check properly. I did a very rough estimate at 70 kg.

Another thing, is that I would probably get a much cheaper rate from Polokwane, so if I do go that way I can always box it up and drive it out to a collection point there.
    Ah yes if you are out in the sticks they may gouge you a bit to collect from your door but they dont seem to charge much extra if anything if the collection is at least in the closest little town. I've sent stuff with them to little dorpies and they don't charge anything extra over sending to a major town.

Today I did some cleaning up of parts. Rear timing cover, adapter plate and sump with oil pickup.

Oil pump gears are a bit pitted. They will be replaced, together with relief spring and plunger.

A while back, I fitted a Facet pump in place of the fuel lift pump. Originally this was done just to help identify a potential air leak in a diesel line which was causing the car to battle to start.

I've been wondering about the Facet pump's ability to supply enough fuel. Today I thought I'd test it out. One would require an absolute maximum flow rate of no more than 30 litres per hour. That's 0.5 litre per min.

I've attached a video of the pump in operation. At present it's installed in the engine bay. I was going to move it, but it seems to cope there. It took about 1.5min to fill the 1 litre container.

A concern is whether you still get this sort of flow rate when the filter is attached. It's also very "spurty", but I presume the filter will take care of that.

I'm wondering whether to begin playing with those booster pumps used for diesel fuel injection. Perhaps with a reduced voltage or PWM circuit. So that I can get a fuel supply that's a bit more even.

Edit: will attach the video later, it's a bit big.

At present it's installed in the engine bay. I was going to move it, but it seems to cope there.
    After thinking more about this, reading some other threads here and on the Internet, I've decided it's going to move under the car, at the back, by the sedimenter. Mounted at a 45 degree angle as in the instructions (they recommend this). It appears that the pumps could suffer from the heat in the engine bay.

If necessary, I could fit two of them in tandem... even maybe with a tilt switch that only activates the second one on an incline.

I'll mount them inside a box with a small hole at the bottom in case some water gets in.

I've had a lot of time to think about this engine rebuild, while cleaning every single little part and inspecting everything. Especially since I'll be making some modifications to the wiring and location of a sensor or two (for example, the in-dash temperature meter will now indicate the head temperature and the Madman water temp will now be taken at the location of the original temperature sensor.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this micrometer kit from Adendorff? I will use it to verify measurements when rebuilding.

By the way, I've pretty much decided to resleeve back to standard. The original engine is so worn that I'd have to rebore to 2nd oversize, yet compression was still excellent and oil usage well within limits before that one piston lost a piece. So my logic is that these engines can take quite a lot of wear, meaning that the sleeves will easily become too thin after another 200000km possibly causing unforeseen problems.

After thinking more about this, reading some other threads here and on the Internet, I've decided it's going to move under the car, at the back, by the sedimenter. Mounted at a 45 degree angle as in the instructions (they recommend this). It appears that the pumps could suffer from the heat in the engine bay.

If necessary, I could fit two of them in tandem... even maybe with a tilt switch that only activates the second one on an incline.

I'll mount them inside a box with a small hole at the bottom in case some water gets in.
    It's where the One Ten V8 had it. Yes, covered by a steel box.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Check out this video, it's a bit long but you will have a better understanding of the advantages of going electric.

Also don't over think/engineer it.

'07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

I've had a lot of time to think about this engine rebuild, while cleaning every single little part and inspecting everything. Especially since I'll be making some modifications to the wiring and location of a sensor or two (for example, the in-dash temperature meter will now indicate the head temperature and the Madman water temp will now be taken at the location of the original temperature sensor.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this micrometer kit from Adendorff? I will use it to verify measurements when rebuilding.

By the way, I've pretty much decided to resleeve back to standard. The original engine is so worn that I'd have to rebore to 2nd oversize, yet compression was still excellent and oil usage well within limits before that one piston lost a piece. So my logic is that these engines can take quite a lot of wear, meaning that the sleeves will easily become too thin after another 200000km possibly causing unforeseen problems.
    This set is a bit cheap in comparison to the usual brands, but as long as you can ensure repeatability of measurements(of the calibration piece) at a given temperature, then it will be perfect.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    This set is a bit cheap in comparison to the usual brands, but as long as you can ensure repeatability of measurements(of the calibration piece) at a given temperature, then it will be perfect.
    Thanks very much. I like to buy good stuff but don't want to go overboard since I don't regularly take this sort of measurement. Last time I just got a local engineering guy to come along with his stuff and do the measurements.

It looks like Fugard will be up for sale, as is. His block is stripped and ready to go to the engineers. But I'm going to be relocating at the end of the year and will need to wrap things up.

It's a very nice 300 Tdi, some body scratches but good condition. 240 000 km, odometer in miles. Hopefully someone is willing to buy him and take over the project. He comes with some extras:
    - a roof rack
    - front bumper with winch
    - a spare injection pump and auto gearbox
    - a spare vacuum pump
    - seat covers

I'll throw in the seats, door rubbers, dash and a bunch of interior parts, roof lining, 2 doors, bonnet, tailgate, from my old white Landy. The idea is to find a guy who does projects who will be willing to take the lot.

Offers around R40k considered.

It looks like Fugard will be up for sale, as is. His block is stripped and ready to go to the engineers. But I'm going to be relocating at the end of the year and will need to wrap things up.

It's a very nice 300 Tdi, some body scratches but good condition. 240 000 km, odometer in miles. Hopefully someone is willing to buy him and take over the project. He comes with some extras:
    - a roof rack
    - front bumper with winch
    - a spare injection pump and auto gearbox
    - a spare vacuum pump
    - seat covers

I'll throw in the seats, door rubbers, dash and a bunch of interior parts, roof lining, 2 doors, bonnet, tailgate, from my old white Landy. The idea is to find a guy who does projects who will be willing to take the lot.

Offers around R40k considered.
    Want to swap for a P38?
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Want to swap for a P38?
    Is it running?

I'm quite serious unfortunately - I am still a serious Landy fan!

Is it running?

I'm quite serious unfortunately - I am still a serious Landy fan!
    It is down for the flex plate which is broken. I have a new one, only waiting for the necessary enthusiasm to arrive to tackle the job, but it seems to be stuck in Customs...
    It has some niggles, but it's solid and sound.

It's even licensed up to date.

This one...
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...74#post3189074
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

So you bought it from Benson? Looked at the thread and it seems like something I could deal with...

You're at the other end of the country to me, but if you're willing to bring it up and take all my stuff away, we can look at it. I could give you a set of good 205R16C tyres to offset some of the cost, but cash not an option right now.

JohnnoK has opened up a whole avenue now. If anyone has something else you would want to swop for my project as specified above, bring it on.

Something running. A Landy would be nice. Especially old ones. I'm really open to a Series for example. Or a V8. But any vehicle might be an option... bring it on.

So you bought it from Benson? Looked at the thread and it seems like something I could deal with...
    It is back on air suspension now, with the remote filling modification, the aircon has the fried relay on the fuse board problem, there is no radio (it has one, but non functional), I have 2 remotes and the owner's manual for it.

I am after a diesel Disco, must be cosmetically good, mechanical is not serious. I can do mechanical repairs, I am not an upholsterer or panelbasher.

edit to add
    If you want pictures, PM me your whats-app number and I will send them.
    Last edited by JohnnoK; 2020/09/21 at 06:32 PM.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2