Discovery 1 The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

Default The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

With the final demise of La(n)dy, I realised that I've been posting rebuild info for her replacement using the same old thread. To make things easier and more understandable for those following, I decided to start a new thread for a "new" Land Rover.

Meet Fugard. Another 300 Tdi Disco 1.

I flew down to St Lucia in August 2019 to fetch him from a loving previous owner who was not at all glad to see him go! Driving up, he looked like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190804_164658.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	568082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190804_142743.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	568083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190804_110644.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	568084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190804182434_IMG_0743.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	568085  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The resurrection and further adventures of Fugard

Despite running very well and being in generally good condition, Fugard soon revealed that he had an untreated drinking problem. About 1 litre per 400 km of the best 15W40 you can give him. He was going to go to Mozambique like that, but I didn't want to risk it. So I decided to open up and have a bit of a measure around...

The verdict was that the bores were showing enough wear to warrant a proper rebuild.

This time, the engineering will be contracted out, then measurements checked, and the actual rebuild will happen in my lounge! It will be a good learning experience and hopefully have good results...

Watch this space for details and pics as I progress...
    Last edited by antvz; 2020/04/20 at 01:56 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

subscribed, I have an ache for a 300tdi D1
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    subscribed, I have an ache for a 300tdi D1
    Only one way to fix that :-)

Ja I know, get the behind me Satan
    Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Only one way to fix that :-)
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

G'day Antvz.
    Will be following this thread with much interest......hope not too long before Fugard is back on the road.
    mike
    Disco 1 300tdi 1997
    Land Cruiser hzj75 1997
    Landy trayback s111 1976

Quote Originally Posted by boobook View Post
    G'day Antvz.
    Will be following this thread with much interest......hope not too long before Fugard is back on the road.
    mike
    Thanks boobook. This is going to be an interesting journey and a good learning experience.

In general, it's not too difficult to rebuild an engine like this one, but tolerances are very important and so is neatness, cleanliness and meticulous attention to detail. Also good quality parts.

Knowing what to replace, what to check, and what to re-use is also important if you don't have an absolutely unlimited budget.

Anyway, it will all be documented here and open to criticism and discussion...

Looking forward to the rebuild antvz! #subscribed
    Last edited by NinoZA; 2020/04/21 at 12:10 PM.
    'For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NinoZA For This Useful Post:

Good luck with the rebuild!
    Guillaume
    Fortuner Epic 4.0 V6 AT

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guillaume For This Useful Post:

Finally some space is cleared after stripping the other one. Yesterday I removed all the peripheral stuff around the engine. Unfortunately, due to the routing of the wiring harness, I have to remove the injector pump first, so that slowed me down. Hopefully by the end of today, the engine will be out.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Well, it happened. Engine out. Those three fiddly bolts on the top of the bell housing were a pain, as usual. One was half way out already, so someone in the past gave up or forgot about it.

The torque converter came out with the engine this time, to my annoyance. I hope the extra manhandling didn't do any damage to the gearbox pump.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Geez... you were very trusting using those two long bolts through a chain link to lift the block out.
    The leverage generated would have been close to ripping a piece of the block out....I bet the bolts have a bend in them now!

But maybe that engine is scrap anyway.

Good to see things happening anyway, Landy's are meant to be used, not stored away in a corner!
    Disco 1 300tdi 1997
    Land Cruiser hzj75 1997
    Landy trayback s111 1976

Quote Originally Posted by boobook View Post
    Geez... you were very trusting using those two long bolts through a chain link to lift the block out.
    The leverage generated would have been close to ripping a piece of the block out....I bet the bolts have a bend in them now!

But maybe that engine is scrap anyway.

Good to see things happening anyway, Landy's are meant to be used, not stored away in a corner!
    Actually I thought it was a pretty good idea, although I did have some concerns at first but used the shortest head bolts I could. However, I actually see your point, and what I should do is fashion a thick plate with anchor points to bolt down to the block properly in a few places.

I particularly don't want to encourage bad practice on an open forum.

Also, I suppose I'd better have that block checked. Thanks for the headsup.

Ok, so today was the day to strip the engine block. As far as I can see, all the parts on there are the originals. In general, bores are still in good condition, but there is a bit of a wear ridge so it's time for a rebore.

One of the reasons I decided to go the "whole hog" and not put the engine back together again, was a score mark in bore no.4. We suspected a broken ring. In fact, the piston itself had lost a piece (cracked) which was nowhere to be seen. That's where all my oil was going!

The above explains why the previous owner had high but acceptable oil usage. He had been driving around just fine, and I think topping up once between services. I could hardly get it to joburg and back without stopping every now and then to fill the oil and check the diesel!

The straw that broke the camel's back was an indy service just before I took ownership. This guy couldn't or didn't loosen the IP sprocket bolts when doing the cam belt. It was way too advanced and the car ran hot at the slightest provocation. I think the constant extra heat and knocking finally caused that piston to fail and lose a piece.

Bearings are worn (through to the copper in most cases) but very little scoring. Just an honest to goodness high mileage engine, nice and clean inside. I feel it's done it's worth and the rebuild should be straightforward.

The quality of the bearings is particularly noticeable compared to what was in the engine of my white Landy.

Hi Antvz, I'm doing a similar build and have a similar vehicle. Could you suggest a method to loosen thr top bolts of the belhousing without the torque converterbeing on the wrong side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike dP View Post
    Hi Antvz, I'm doing a similar build and have a similar vehicle. Could you suggest a method to loosen thr top bolts of the belhousing without the torque converterbeing on the wrong side.
    Hi MikeDP,

I've only ever taken out 2 of these engines before, so I'm no fundi. For those top three bolts, here are my strategies:

- After removing the engine mounts, etc. and while the engine is supported by the crane, I lower it slightly to get access to those top three bolts. Otherwise they are right up against the firewall. I do those three bolts first before loosening the others on the bell housing.
    - On this green Landy (Fugard), I had the head off first. This gives you space to get in there with a good, flat number 13 spanner. Must be a good one or those bolts can get rounded. Even better, is a no.13 ratchet spanner - again, the flattest you can get. If it's "bent" at an angle you can't get access.
    - Without taking the head off first, it's more difficult. In that case, I used a hint I saw in Hayne's, I think. A good 13 socket on a long extension with a universal joint so it can flex - lie under the car with that contraption and get an assistant to guide the socket onto the bolt. This works a treat.

Regarding the torque converter being on the "wrong side", I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean, to avoid the torque converter coming off with the engine instead of staying on the gearbox? I'm not sure how you can prevent that. In one case, it stayed on perfectly. In the next, it came off with the engine. I'm sure others will be able to shed some light.
    (obviously, remember to unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel before you start, otherwise it's 100% certain where it will come off!).

Once you have unbolted the torque converter from the drive plate, you can push it back slightly and there is a special tool to hold it in place, but a piece of flat bar will suffice. That will keep it on the transmission side of affairs for removal.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2