Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What’s happened? And, why?!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    My thoughts as well
    I take it is an expensive repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuya View Post
    I guess it depends what is damaged and who does the job. Maybe first follow some of the suggestions made. Changing oil is always a good idea.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

It start at +- R4000 to R5000 just to take it out and put it back.
    Kobus

A lot of gearboxes use an Aisin box. The way they work is you should use the special ATF fluid designed for the way the boxes work. I have a Suzuki GV and their boxes use the same fluid. The Toyota ATF fluid has the number 3309 in it. Mobil also make a 3309 fluid. Most garages and gearbox repairers will know this but a home user deciding to change his own fluid probably won't. If your box had a high fluid level it may have been done by said home user so the previous instructions to get as much of it out as you could and replace with the right fluid might help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissybabe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post

Ok,

this is what I would do:

1) Before you even remove the sump and mesh/filter, drain all the old ATF that's in the sump. If you had the correct amount in there you should have about 4.5L come out. (if you have the front sligtly raised it helps remove a bit more)

2) If less than that comes out, no worries. .When it's all out, PUT THE SUMP PLUG BACK ON and refill from the dipstick, using a length of pipe (IE: fuel line) and a funnel. Put 5L of new ATF in, any Dextron II or III.

3) Circle through all the gears, let engine warm up and test drive.

4) You can repeat this process a few times if you want to clear out more of the old ATF (as some stays in the TC), although it can be expensive as you will discard the 4.5 L that will come out each time.

This process will ensure that you have some nice clean ATF and also that you have the right amount in.

From what you said earlier, yur ATF could be burnt (as you say it's dark red) and in need of a revamp

If the problem persists, then you will have to look elesewhere (Autobox components, ECU issues etc).

One common problem with those Autoboxes, now that they are 20 yrs old, is the three solenoids at the bottom of the box, you see them when you remove the sump.

I know of a few where the n 1 solenoid packed up. The symptoms are that the car doesnot move in D, unless you rev it quite high: basically you lose '1st gear'. However when that fault occurs you get the OD light on the dash flashing every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I am going your route, and see what happens! Will report back.

Thank you! I am going your route, and see what happens! Will report back.
    Good luck and report back. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    It start at +- R4000 to R5000 just to take it out and put it back.
    😱 Thought it would be expensive!
    The thing is, the gearbox changes as smoothly as always. Baffling!

Just my less informed bit. What was the state of the battery . I do know on our chrysler sebring low battery causes weird things to happen,depending on how low the battery is. I am basing on the fact that op said had to rev to 2000 and after driving on farm seemed ok. edit: From more posts, it seems that I am way of the mark
    Last edited by jeev; 2020/04/20 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post
    Just my less informed bit. What was the state of the battery . I do know on our chrysler sebring low battery causes weird things to happen,depending on how low the battery is. I am basing on the fact that op said had to rev to 2000 and after driving on farm seemed ok. edit: From more posts, it seems that I am way of the mark
    Thank you for your opinion! I am not technical at all, and appreciate all advise. I will test the battery.

Just a note on changing the fluid- I changed mine and found a helpful tutorial on youtube. You take off a pipe that goes between the gearbox and the radiator (gearbox cooling circuit) there are two, one going to and one returning from the back of the radiator. You just have to take one off at a time and see which one is which. When you start the car, it pumps oil out, you let about 2 litres out, catch it in a container. Then you refill the gearbox as above with 2 litres and you carry on alternating between the two until fluid is clear red. It took me about 12 litres including filling the box to clear the torque converter and gearbox. So it is a more efficient form of some of the above. Made such a difference I did my moms car too.

Quote Originally Posted by nhoro View Post
    Just a note on changing........ .
    That is how I change the ATF in my Cruiser. 5 Liters at a time.
    Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/04/20 at 07:18 PM.
    Kobus

Thanks it was a mouthful, hope it will also help on my Ford when it gives me same problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2