What’s happened? And, why?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What’s happened? And, why?!

I drove my 3.4 V6 to fill up today. Close to the filling station there was a shudder-like vibration coming from the front of the car. As I stopped at the pump, the car died in Drive. I started it after filling up, no problem starting- engine runs as always. The moment I engaged D, the engine stalled immediately. I tried several times the same- engine died immediately. There was a rattly metal sound coming from under the car. Only way I could drive, was revving up to about 2000rpm and engaged drive. I drove to my house-gearbox changing as always. Same happened again at home. Started again by revving to 2000rpn, and engaging D. Parked Prado in garage, and started it a bit later, engaged D, and all seems normal. What happened? And, why? Can I expect trouble?

Default Re: What’s happened? And, why?!

Can you check the level and colour of the auto transmission fluid , with engine hot and running , and report back?

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Can you check the level and colour of the auto transmission fluid , with engine hot and running , and report back?
    Will do tomorrow!
    I am interested to know what the colour of the gearbox oil can tell.

Burned clutch packs?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Burned clutch packs?
    On the auto box?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Burned clutch packs?
    My thoughts as well
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Next step is to drop the sump and clean/replace the filter.

If you see a lot of fiber debris in the filter, the clutches are on their way out.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/04/19 at 10:08 AM.
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuya View Post
    Will do tomorrow!
    When last was oil changed?
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Will do tomorrow!
    The oil ( dark red in colour, but without any ‘debris’ in it) was about four notches above the full mark, with the gearbox hot and engine still running! Way too much oil in gearbox.
    Can it be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Next step is to drop the sump and clean/replace the filter.

If you see a lot of fiber debris in the filter, the clutches are on their way out.

Thank you for replying.

No debris in oil. I filtered it through. Quite dark red.

I will change it as soon as I can buy a new filter and ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    When last was oil changed?
    Unfortunately, I have no idea when oil was last changed. I bought the car two weeks before lock-down. No service records.
    I am now checking everything, and will service it as soon as shops open.
    Last edited by Mabuya; 2020/04/19 at 03:00 PM.

I drove it around on the farm today for quite a while today ( approx half an hour), in H , HL and LL. There was no sign of what happened yesterday.
    After driving around, I checked the ATF level, and drained approx a litre excess oil from the gearbox. As mentioned in answers to advise- the ATF was dark red in colour, but without debris ( filtered it through).

Is yours a Prado late nineties early 2000?

If so, If you drain via the ATF sump plug, you should be getting around 4.5 L of old ATF. There will be another 5 L in the torque converter, roughly...

It should be bright red, not like red wine.

Reading the level on those dipsticks is a dark art.
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2020/04/19 at 03:24 PM.

Cherry red.
    Kobus

It could be that normal ATF has been put in the gearbox. Some years ago I drained my auto gearbox by mistake, I looked on YouTube and the guy I watched, from th US said only use the Toyota ATF specified in the manual. He said if you use normal over the counter ATF the gear box will do strange things. I went by bike to Toyota, a Saturday morning and they had closed early, so i went to local spares shop and got a good quality ATF. And as he said, my gearbox started doing strange things, like not changing down smoothly if l came to an abrubt stop, almost like a lag, and a few other funnies that it had never done before. So I got some of the Toyota specified ATF, changed it and after about a month everything returned to normal. If you need the spec, I still have some of the ATF, can let you know.
    Toyota Hilux 4x4 4 Litre
    Conquerer Courage
    KTM 690 Enduro R

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Miles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Is yours a Prado late nineties early 2000?

If so, If you drain via the ATF sump plug, you should be getting around 4.5 L of old ATF. There will be another 5 L in the torque converter, roughly...

It should be bright red, not like red wine.

Reading the level on those dipsticks is a dark art.
    Yes, it is a 2001 model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miles View Post
    It could be that normal ATF has been put in the gearbox. Some years ago I drained my auto gearbox by mistake, I looked on YouTube and the guy I watched, from th US said only use the Toyota ATF specified in the manual. He said if you use normal over the counter ATF the gear box will do strange things. I went by bike to Toyota, a Saturday morning and they had closed early, so i went to local spares shop and got a good quality ATF. And as he said, my gearbox started doing strange things, like not changing down smoothly if l came to an abrubt stop, almost like a lag, and a few other funnies that it had never done before. So I got some of the Toyota specified ATF, changed it and after about a month everything returned to normal. If you need the spec, I still have some of the ATF, can let you know.
    Thank you!!

I am not familiar with auto boxes, but what will the symptoms be if the computer fails to disengage the lock-up clutch?
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miles View Post
    With those old Toyota boxes you can put any Dextron II or III.

Yes, it is a 2001 model.

Ok,

this is what I would do:

1) Before you even remove the sump and mesh/filter, drain all the old ATF that's in the sump. If you had the correct amount in there you should have about 4.5L come out. (if you have the front sligtly raised it helps remove a bit more)

2) If less than that comes out, no worries. .When it's all out, PUT THE SUMP PLUG BACK ON and refill from the dipstick, using a length of pipe (IE: fuel line) and a funnel. Put 5L of new ATF in, any Dextron II or III.

3) Circle through all the gears, let engine warm up and test drive.

4) You can repeat this process a few times if you want to clear out more of the old ATF (as some stays in the TC), although it can be expensive as you will discard the 4.5 L that will come out each time.

This process will ensure that you have some nice clean ATF and also that you have the right amount in.

From what you said earlier, yur ATF could be burnt (as you say it's dark red) and in need of a revamp

If the problem persists, then you will have to look elesewhere (Autobox components, ECU issues etc).

One common problem with those Autoboxes, now that they are 20 yrs old, is the three solenoids at the bottom of the box, you see them when you remove the sump.

I know of a few where the n 1 solenoid packed up. The symptoms are that the car doesnot move in D, unless you rev it quite high: basically you lose '1st gear'. However when that fault occurs you get the OD light on the dash flashing every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast