Prado 120 packing system

Default Prado 120 packing system

I have been planning to share this for some time. With some time on my hands during the lockdown (I am supposed to work!), I have made a few modifications. I have had my 2009 Prado 120 for 3.5 years now. One of the first modifications was to build a packing system.

Load bay of the Prado with only the pull-out slides. Left side is for my 60L Engel fridge. Right hand side for ammo crates.

Below the slides I have utilised the space with stuff that is always needed or good to have close by and easily accessible in case of Murphy striking.

Detail of the catch mechanism (hand made) that keeps the slides in position, one on each slide.

Load bay with packing system installed. Shelves to the side flip to inside for installation and removal. Below the shelves is a bracket that gets affixed to the clamps that would normally tie down the jump seats. This makes the whole system, despite being made of aluminium, very stiff and sturdy, while at the same time being very light compared to steel.

Recently I have bought 2 x 100W solar panels. We have been to Kruger during the week prior to lockdown (we have had to cut our visit short) and they were transported on the top shelf of the packing system. Tied down of course. Problem is that you cannot put anything else on the solar panels, which means wasted space. I decided to modify the packing system by creating space beneath the top shelf where the solar panel will be out of harms way but at the same time easily accessible. After modification before installation. You will notice the top shelf had been raised by about 50 mm, the size of 2 x 25mm Alu square tubing to create the space underneath for the solar panels. Side shelves are flipped to the inside to facilitate installation. Still light enough to handle by myself.

Packing system installed. Top shelf opens by means of a piano hinge to provide a sufficiently large opening to slide the two solar panels onto padded ALU angles. Once closed, it is secured by two catches on the side. The photograph shows the second solar panel going in. Two loose pieces of of Alu square tubing are keeping the lid open, I will still design a better way to keep it open sometime in future.

Some other pieces of equipment. 160l/m compressor fits snugly underneath the right-hand shelf. Enough space between the packing system and the door for a fire extinguisher.

Towards the front behind the second row of seats, is a DB box with 12v outlets, fuse, USB ports and voltmeter. Also linked is a 500W inverter that can be run form the 2nd battery. I have made my MPPT controller mobile, so it fits into the two Brad Harrison plugs on the side whilst getting power from the solar panels while I am in the camp. Alternatively, I can link the MPPT controller to my Bush Lapa’s deep cycle battery using the Brad Harrison conncectors..

My fridge can run either off 12V (2nd battery) or from 220V should I connect a 220V lead to the car. To the top left, the bracket underneath the shelf can be seen that locks into the jump seat clamp.

Below the solar panels is a small table, with enough space inside it for a braai grid and my Indeflate thingy.

This is what it looks like now with the top shelf raised to make space for the solar panels.

When I am driving around in town, the right-hand slide is covered with a carpeted piece of plywood as was shown in a previous photograph. For overlanding, the cover is removed, by removing the three countersunk bolts with wing nuts, in about 20 seconds. A new frame is added which also secures very quickly with bolts and wingnuts to the existing slide.

To the right is where 4 ammo crates are stored, and to the left is place for a 20l water can. The floor where the water can is located, hinges open for more space underneath.

Enough packing space for a lot of tools. In the large compartment there are two complete socket sets as well as a complete set of ring spanners. I have calculated the space for these compartments combined to be close to 19l.

So, there you have it. Having been a loadmaster in a previous life, I have had a lot of practise to utilise every bit of space available. It is coming in handy now.
    If you are not currently on a trip, you should at least be busy planning the next one.

2009 Toyota Prado 120 4.0 V6
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier 627

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Big Rock III For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Prado 120 packing system

That is awesome! Well done! I have a '07 Prado and have been looking into packing system as well. Yours looks well sorted!

Default Re: Prado 120 packing system

Very nice indeed, well thought out. Maybe for a future project you could consider converting one ammo crate into a kitchen unit/chuck box. Add two or three drawers into the side of the crate, so that you have immediate access to the utensils:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1438.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	567584

Name:	IMG_1457.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	567580

Name:	IMG_1458.JPG