Thatch to Harvey Tile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thatch to Harvey Tile

Hi Guys

So, I would actually like to remove the thatch from my lapa, and replace it with Harvey tiles.

I don't want harvey tile over the thatch, I want the thatch gone, I don't like the fire risk. My lapa is touching my house, it's built on, so a big risk for me.

I roughly worked out that material would cost about 6k in tiles alone, so lets add another 2-4k for other items. The roof is approximately 8x4.

Are there any roof experts willing to guesstimate how much they would charge me in labor? A really rough estimate would be fine, even to the closest R5000. Just trying to see what my total cost would more or less be.
    Would the existing roof structure work, keeping in mind it the round wooden "slats" (I think thats the word). Would this have to be converted to a more Tile Roof setup?
    Would noise be a problem when it rains?
    Anything else I must keep in mind.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I had one guy come out before lockdown to measure, quote, and also quote on fireproofing and combing, but he never got back to me. I don't really understand why people take the time to come check, but don't bother quoting. This was supposedly a very professional guy, even came with a "aktetas".
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/04/17 at 10:37 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Thatch to Harvey Tile

I would definitely put insulation below the Harvey tiles. In our house it is actually quiter than it was when we had tharch with a Fibreglass ridge. The fibreglass was noisy. You will need to put in square brandering. We actually left 5mm thatch then insulation and then the tiles. Insurance has surveyed and is happy.
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Mazda Cx7 Turbo(Sold)
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Here is a Pic of where it touches my house roof. Might help.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    I would definitely put insulation below the Harvey tiles. In our house it is actually quiter than it was when we had tharch with a Fibreglass ridge. The fibreglass was noisy. You will need to put in square brandering. We actually left 5mm thatch then insulation and then the tiles. Insurance has surveyed and is happy.
    I'm assuming the insulation is for cold, or is it for heat as well? I am not worried about the cold to be honest, the lapa is still technically outside, and the whole lapa is closed off, in a nutshell, its like a room built onto the house, but with thatch roof.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Sorry to ask 5mm or 50mm left over.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

I have had on occasion a few of my clients wanting to do similar. Those surveys that I have access to mostly always recommend that the Harvey tile be put on top of the thatch.

The reasoning behind this is the the tile will compress the thatch to a degree and no airflow then gets to the thatch. It reduce the fire risk considerably. Having an open space in a roof space with limited escape routes make a loft like a rocket stove. A compressed thatch offers no such opportunity.

No expert opinion here, just an observation.

If you go to Mabalingwe, you will see that they have done just this on their time share units over the years. Harvey tile on thatch. If ever there was a fire risk, that area in the dry season would be it. I am sure they took expert opinion.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2020/04/17 at 10:44 AM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Take it that you’ve looked at the docs on Harvey tile web site....has lots of good info.

Recently used these tiles on a “granny flat” and can recommend. As poster said....Harvey tiles need at least 38x38 framing to secure to.

Although not difficult for diy, but looking at the pitch of your roof, maybe look at getting professional installer....they have the right kit for the job.

Stay safe.

In the same boat

Going to remove my house thatch and replace with Chromadek sheeting (480sqr)

I'm "gatvol" for the thatch
    Last edited by spicydave; 2020/04/17 at 10:50 AM.

Ngwenya Lodge also covered the existing thatch.

Im also looking at doing it over thatch. I have the same problem with the lapa over the house edge.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Sorry to ask 5mm or 50mm left over.
    Between 5 and 10 mm - very thin layer
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Mazda Cx7 Turbo(Sold)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Ngwenya Lodge also covered the existing thatch.

Im also looking at doing it over thatch. I have the same problem with the lapa over the house edge.
    In order to cover it over thatch, you need to follow certain regulations for insurance purposes. Basically, your thatch would still have to be treated beforehand.

I really really want to get rid of thatch completely. It really is just a PITA.

I prefer what one of my friends did. They had a lapa built, but used harvey tiles, and on the inside they placed the round wooden slats or whatever throughout the roof, so its still visually appealing.

Not sure what insurance would think of it, hence I need proper expert to look at it and give me the solution I want, or alternatively the solution I need, whilst being in full compliance.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I'm assuming the insulation is for cold, or is it for heat as well? I am not worried about the cold to be honest, the lapa is still technically outside, and the whole lapa is closed off, in a nutshell, its like a room built onto the house, but with thatch roof.

In our case the insulation is for for heat. Think directly under corrugated iron. Very hot - was in a house that had harvetile and thin thatch like mine with no insulation. was unbearable
    Last edited by Dez; 2020/04/17 at 11:08 AM.
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Mazda Cx7 Turbo(Sold)

In our case the insulation is for for heat. Think directly under corrugated iron. Very hot - was in a house that had harvetile and thin thatch like mine with no insulation. was unbearable
    Thanks, that would be a problem as we like spending time in the lapa during summer braaing, often have people over.

Ok, so lets try this.

Are there any roofing guys on the forum that will be able to assist, and come out to have a look, give me quote, and hopefully get this sorted.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Not a roofing guy, but have over 500 sqM under thatch..........

Remove it all. Replace round roof battens with square brandering battens at the correct spacing for Harvey tiles. Install insulation under Harvey tile. Install Harvey tiles. Cover insulation with reeds or appropriate decorative covering. I've even seen people use hessian sacking.

Why not leave any thatch? It degrades with time and will collapse and decompose due to the trapped moisture under the Harvey tile. The only way to retain the thatch would be a non water-permeable layer between the thatch and the Harvey tile.

My 50c worth.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Not a roofing guy, but have over 500 sqM under thatch..........Remove it all. Replace round roof battens with square brandering battens at the correct spacing for Harvey tiles. Install insulation under Harvey tile. Install Harvey tiles. Cover insulation with reeds or appropriate decorative covering. I've even seen people use hessian sacking. Why not leave any thatch? It degrades with time and will collapse and decompose due to the trapped moisture under the Harvey tile. The only way to retain the thatch would be a non water-permeable layer between the thatch and the Harvey tile. My 50c worth.
    Thanks Jelo

So my approach of leaving the poles and fit Chromadek sheeting will do the trick ?
    Last edited by spicydave; 2020/04/17 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spicydave View Post
    Thanks Jelo

So my approach of leaving the poles and fit Chromadek sheeting will do the trick ?

Yep, lots of people have converted their thatch houses to tin roofs that way. Thatch is a PITA and costly to maintain compared to even roof tiles. Cold in winter. Always makes you scared of bush fire, short circuits, and lightning. Can get infected by spiders. Rodents love them.
    Percivamus

Yep, lots of people have converted their thatch houses to tin roofs that way. Thatch is a PITA and costly to maintain compared to even roof tiles. Cold in winter. Always makes you scared of bush fire, short circuits, and lightning. Can get infected by spiders. Rodents love them.
    Yip, fire is my big problem with the veld

We will be moving to one of my other properties as the whole roof will be open

Problem is that I've had another layer of that attached about 2-years ago with a big thatch company

What the "[email protected]" did not do is remove a layer first and now my thickness is about 350mm thick which cause my walls to start cracking with the weight

What I've read is thatch iscabout 55kg /sqr if 170mm thick
    Last edited by spicydave; 2020/04/17 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spicydave View Post
    What I've read is thatch iscabout 55kg /sqr if 170mm thick
    and much more when wet with all the rain we have had
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Thanks, that would be a problem as we like spending time in the lapa during summer braaing, often have people over.

Ok, so lets try this.

Are there any roofing guys on the forum that will be able to assist, and come out to have a look, give me quote, and hopefully get this sorted.
    Not myself , but a good friend of mine is in the roofing business and living in Kemtonpark , can pass you his contact details if you like .
    Using Tapatalk

Not a roofing guy, but have over 500 sqM under thatch..........

Remove it all. Replace round roof battens with square brandering battens at the correct spacing for Harvey tiles. Install insulation under Harvey tile. Install Harvey tiles. Cover insulation with reeds or appropriate decorative covering. I've even seen people use hessian sacking.

Why not leave any thatch? It degrades with time and will collapse and decompose due to the trapped moisture under the Harvey tile. The only way to retain the thatch would be a non water-permeable layer between the thatch and the Harvey tile.

My 50c worth.
    Ours has been installed with the thin thatch layer for 20 years with zero problems. Thatch has not deteriorated
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Mazda Cx7 Turbo(Sold)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast