Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: My Amarok Thread

Battery ruil:

Willem,
    Dankie vir die video, jammer ek kom nou eers terug.
    Maar, ons kon skielik trek vanaf Gauteng na Mosselbaai omgewing, so dit was baie dol, eintlik doller as dol !!
    Sien die video eers toe ons hier onder kom.

Maar, dit was ook bietjie laat, want ek moes reeds vervang.
    En, die man wat dit vir my gedoen het, het nogal gesukkel met die ECU wat in die pad is !!

Die battery wat in die voertuig was (oorspronklik), is 'n "Banner" wat in Oostenryk vervaardig is !
    En VW gee my toe 'n Varta, bietjie duur; alhoewel hulle gese het dit sou Exide vanaf Spanje wees.
    Agv inperking was daar ook nog probleme met aflwering vanaf VW, weens permit probleme vir drywers.
    Weens al hierdie probleme en ons moet dringend pak en trek, het ek nie te veel vrae gevra nie.
    Herman Meyer.
    2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto ,
    2015-02-03: Bush Lapa Miskewer 394.
    2012 VW Polo Sedan 1.6 A/T.

For those who might be interested in the last part of my clutch replacement... Took a bit long to do the editing on this one...Will soon do a video on the cambelt and waterpump replacement as well....[COLOR=var(--blue-link)]https://youtu.be/JnTg22V_NYY[/COLOR]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    For those who might be interested in the last part of my clutch replacement... Took a bit long to do the editing on this one...Will soon do a video on the cambelt and waterpump replacement as well....[COLOR=var(--blue-link)]https://youtu.be/JnTg22V_NYY[/COLOR]
    Thanks Willem, looking forward to the cambelt video.

Hopefully getting my new TIG machine this week to do amarok decats down in cape town...
    Already got two cats cutout, just waiting for the machine to weld them back together...

For now fitting some of John's dowpipes and egr kits if anyone is interested...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 17.25.40.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	595093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-10-19 at 07.18.24.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	595094

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    Hopefully getting my new TIG machine this week to do amarok decats down in cape town...
    Already got two cats cutout, just waiting for the machine to weld them back together...

For now fitting some of John's dowpipes and egr kits if anyone is interested...
    The problem with Tig is that is takes some time to master. Johnboy helped me with my decat and his Tig skills are awesome. (Remember I am judging from a low base - but to me awesome.) I have a very good big machine, albeit DC only, but I can't come close to the skills johnboy showed. I would have probably burnt holes all over the show.

First I start with too little current, and then I battled to get a puddle, then too much current and your fingers get toasted and you burn holes, and then a bit better, but I cant feed the rod well enough. I did some two weekends back and I was realising that my technique was all wrong as I was leaving the filler wire in the weld which prevented the puddle forming properly. If I dip it properly it did go better. Most of all my problem is not seeing the weld arc properly and dipping my tungsten continuously. All these things to look forward to.

Good luck with it though. I am sure you will have a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    The problem with Tig is that is takes some time to master. Johnboy helped me with my decat and his Tig skills are awesome. (Remember I am judging from a low base - but to me awesome.) I have a very good big machine, albeit DC only, but I can't come close to the skills johnboy showed. I would have probably burnt holes all over the show.

First I start with too little current, and then I battled to get a puddle, then too much current and your fingers get toasted and you burn holes, and then a bit better, but I cant feed the rod well enough. I did some two weekends back and I was realising that my technique was all wrong as I was leaving the filler wire in the weld which prevented the puddle forming properly. If I dip it properly it did go better. Most of all my problem is not seeing the weld arc properly and dipping my tungsten continuously. All these things to look forward to.

Good luck with it though. I am sure you will have a lot of fun.
    The Tig welding will indeed be a complete new challenge to me... having only done brazing and arc welding before.
    Tig welding to me is very similar to brazing, just the heat source coming from an electric arc and not a flame... I'm really looking forward to the adjustability and the rate variability or absence of filler that's possible with a tig machine. So often I'm looking for the capability of doing fusion welds and spot welds, which you can all do with a tig machine but not at all with a stick machine.
    Getting a full ac/dc with AC wave functions (just because the other one is out of stock actually), so will keep me busy for a while.

I think the correct setup of the Tig machine and your base and top currents on he pedal is an important start of the success(or failure) of tig. But that's now me commenting without having picked up a tig torch before... so let's see what happens.

So at last I got my AC/DC tig machine.
    Went with the Flama with full AC wave functions etc. Really a brilliant little machine.

My suspicion about it being a lot like brazing turned out to be more accurate than I expected, just so much nicer and more controllable!!
    Practiced a bit last night with an empty cat box I had lying around and actually got the very first fusion weld looking not too bad.
    I did forget to clean the welding area a bit, but worked alright.

Having taught myself how to close holes in 1.2 - 2mm tubing with a stick welder this is just another level of easy and controllability! It really is awesome!
    Have not started playing with the foot pedal yet, so looking foward to that!!

Any amarok 2l owners looking for a decat down in CT, give me shout!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-11-15 at 18.35.04.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	595918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-11-15 at 21.49.18.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	595919

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

Cambelt video uiteindelik klaar ge-edit en opgelaai...

https://youtu.be/KZpcBGkhVdw

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

Ons wag angstig vir die thermostat replacement vid

Nie 100% amarok verwant nie maar amper...

https://youtu.be/O3wyqQiRu6g

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

My rok nou 289 000km gedoen, en regtig die eerste groot item wat ek moes vervang. Regter agter wiellaer het begin raas. Nuwe een by BMG in die hande gekry. Plaaslike Indie genader. Toe hulle die dromme verwyder was daar sowat 1mm op die 'lining' oor. Min of meer R3600 later wat die wiellaer, nuwe remskoene, drom geskim en alle arbeid insluit en die trokkie is weer so goed soos nuut. Nie te sleg nie.

Groetnis

Koos

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Koos, be careful skimming those drums. If the inner diameter gets too big and the linings wear then the brake cylinder piston can fall out. Not a pleasant experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    My rok nou 289 000km gedoen, en regtig die eerste groot item wat ek moes vervang. Regter agter wiellaer het begin raas. Nuwe een by BMG in die hande gekry. Plaaslike Indie genader. Toe hulle die dromme verwyder was daar sowat 1mm op die 'lining' oor. Min of meer R3600 later wat die wiellaer, nuwe remskoene, drom geskim en alle arbeid insluit en die trokkie is weer so goed soos nuut. Nie te sleg nie.

Groetnis

Koos
    Current:

2019 Kombi Trendline 2.0TDI DSG 103kW
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto
    2016 Metalian Maxi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GeckoCampers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoCampers View Post
    Koos, be careful skimming those drums. If the inner diameter gets too big and the linings wear then the brake cylinder piston can fall out. Not a pleasant experience!
    Thanks for the heads up. He assured me they only skimmed the ridge. I will however start budgeting for a complete drum replacement. I am sure Goldwagen should have them in stock.

Groetnis

Koos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3