380v compressor





Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 380v compressor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    vryheid
    Age
    33
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 0

    Default 380v compressor

    Good evening all.

    Hope there is someone that can help me.
    I do restore old stationary engines as a hobby.I did get a sandblasting cabinet from a friend and would like to sandblast my engines.Now I looked into sandblasting quite a bit and it seems like you a 220v compressor will not do the job.I looked at 380v compressors that will work but I only have 220v at home.I found guys that sell a device that they say can convert 220v single phase to 380v three phase.Do any of you perhaps know anything about this and if it will run a compressor.The compressor I am looking at is between 4 and 5.5 Kw.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    You get a gizmo called a vfd. It magically creates a third phase through magical trickery. They are very good. But I dont think its easy to buy a 4 kw one.I think 2.2kw is pretty much what you will buy in most reputable stores. I think its all to do with the plug. They sell what can be hooked to a standerd three prong plug.I think its based on 4kw drawing more than a standerd household plug.

    There is a guy called cpf technologies that sells a Chinese 4kw unit
    But you cant just go buy a 380v compressor and expect it to work .You will need to be able to change the motor to 240v by changing it from star to delta.
    https://www.cfptechnologies.co.za/product/veichi-ac70/
    If you go to banggood site they seem to sell a unit that can convert 240v to 380v so you could use a 380v motor. Take what I say with a pinch of salt. Im technologically challenged.
    From what I understand is the 380v vfd uses a technique called a doubler ,so instead of using a transformer it doubles the 22ov . It would be nice if a clever oke could explain it better.

    This 380v vfd is new news to me and will be useful if true because the vast majority of motors are only 380v and not 240v/380v
    Last edited by plunger; 2020/04/12 at 07:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    343
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    A single petrol 600 L/min unit or two 2.2 Kw (250 L/min) units on a tee. No messing with 3 phase 380V.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    vryheid
    Age
    33
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    You get a gizmo called a vfd. It magically creates a third phase through magical trickery. They are very good. But I dont think its easy to buy a 4 kw one.I think 2.2kw is pretty much what you will buy in most reputable stores. I think its all to do with the plug. They sell what can be hooked to a standerd three prong plug.I think its based on 4kw drawing more than a standerd household plug.

    There is a guy called cpf technologies that sells a Chinese 4kw unit
    But you cant just go buy a 380v compressor and expect it to work .You will need to be able to change the motor to 240v by changing it from star to delta.
    https://www.cfptechnologies.co.za/product/veichi-ac70/
    If you go to banggood site they seem to sell a unit that can convert 240v to 380v so you could use a 380v motor. Take what I say with a pinch of salt. Im technologically challenged.
    From what I understand is the 380v vfd uses a technique called a doubler ,so instead of using a transformer it doubles the 22ov . It would be nice if a clever oke could explain it better.

    This 380v vfd is new news to me and will be useful if true because the vast majority of motors are only 380v and not 240v/380v
    Thank you.

    It seems like this will be a hassel to run it.Will most probably have to make do with a 220v compressor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    vryheid
    Age
    33
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    A single petrol 600 L/min unit or two 2.2 Kw (250 L/min) units on a tee. No messing with 3 phase 380V.
    Do you reccomend running two 250l/min compressor running at the same time and connected together.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Rietkuil, Suurbraak
    Age
    36
    Posts
    31
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    I've been running with a 2.2kw single phase for bead blasting aluminium in a cabinet for years. Problem is not the lack of cfm output, its the high duty cycle required of the pump. For non-production jobs single phase will work for you, make sure the unit has adequate cooling. Dont combine air from seperate compressors.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    343
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    Quote Originally Posted by boela View Post
    Do you reccomend running two 250l/min compressor running at the same time and connected together.
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rnieckau View Post
    I've been running with a 2.2kw single phase for bead blasting aluminium in a cabinet for years. Problem is not the lack of cfm output, its the high duty cycle required of the pump. For non-production jobs single phase will work for you, make sure the unit has adequate cooling. Dont combine air from seperate compressors.
    Without real 3 phase the solution is always going to be a compromise, but not necessarily a bad solution.

    I do believe the OP's problem is CFM. I cannot think of any problem more annoying than pneumatic tools with enough air to make them run, but not enough air to work properly.

    The assumption on a 250 L/min compressor is that it is a proper belt driven motor. The duty cycle is in the same ballpark as a "regular" 3 phase compressor in the same product range. But that is a good point for the OP to look at. The duty cycle aspect is related to the compressor, not the motor.

    If you want a 100% duty cycle it is going to be big money for a single compressor system. If you need to do continuous work for more than 10 or 15 minutes it would be relatively easy to add a third 2.2 Kw compressor and cycle them 10 minutes on and 5 minutes off so there are always only two running and one cooling off... maybe just take a couple of smoke breaks.

    rnieckau, any particular reason not to combine the output from two separate compressors?
    Last edited by MarcR; 2020/04/13 at 01:36 PM.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Rietkuil, Suurbraak
    Age
    36
    Posts
    31
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Yes.

    Without real 3 phase the solution is always going to be a compromise, but not necessarily a bad solution.

    I do believe the OP's problem is CFM. I cannot think of any problem more annoying than pneumatic tools with enough air to make them run, but not enough air to work properly.

    The assumption on a 250 L/min compressor is that it is a proper belt driven motor. The duty cycle is in the same ballpark as a "regular" 3 phase compressor in the same product range. But that is a good point for the OP to look at. The duty cycle aspect is related to the compressor, not the motor.

    If you want a 100% duty cycle it is going to be big money for a single compressor system. If you need to do continuous work for more than 10 or 15 minutes it would be relatively easy to add a third 2.2 Kw compressor and cycle them 10 minutes on and 5 minutes off so there are always only two running and one cooling off... maybe just take a couple of smoke breaks.

    rnieckau, any particular reason not to combine the output from two separate compressors?
    Generally 3HP (2.2kw) single phase motors are coupled with 10-12cfm pumps which can supply 8-9bar at peak. Any reputable company would likely recommend a 7.5HP(5.5kw) 3p motor driven compressor, usually coupled with 22-26cfm pumps for blasting. For the op's purposes and in my own experience, the former option can produce and sustain an effective blasting pressure of 5-6 bars (with short stoppages for repositioning of the work piece in the cabinet, clearing /cleaning of chamber, etc) which will allow for pressure to build, although the motor will continue to run until reaching the upper pressure setpoint. Thus one should ideally put the gun down for 15 minutes every 25 minutes to allow machine to cool down.

    I wouldnt recommend interconnecting airlines, as this may interfere with the switch diaphram and/or exert positive pressure on the non return valve. Directly interconnecting the air receivers will bypass the valves and increase the total capacity, but is dangerous for obvious reasons.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to rnieckau For This Useful Post:


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,051
    Thanked: 1916

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    Save the money of a 3 phase machine and buy the biggest tank you can find and a single phase instead.
    Sandblasting, and most air tools require volume, and that requires storage space for the air.
    You may need to have a cuppa while the single phase refills, but it will do the job.
    Cheers,
    John

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    vryheid
    Age
    33
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 380v compressor

    Thank you for all the help.
    I will then be looking at a 200l compressor.
    What make will you guys suggest.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •