Guys, PLEASE!!! ALWAYS 4x4 on gravel - Page 7

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Guys, PLEASE!!! ALWAYS 4x4 on gravel

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    IMHO (Before I get fried again)

I believe this is one of the reasons contributing to the more than average number of rental roll-overs
    in Namibia
    that we read about.

The most silly advise possible.
    Agree there.

on a recent Nam trip we chatted to a number of overseas visitors who rented 4x4s. Most said that it was the first time on gravel and it scared them s..tless.
    That ridge of loose gravel left by the grader on the edge of the road is a killer.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Agree there.

on a recent Nam trip we chatted to a number of overseas visitors who rented 4x4s. Most said that it was the first time on gravel and it scared them s..tless. That ridge of loose gravel left by the grader on the edge of the road is a killer.
    Correct. Whenever I come across a city registered 4x2 lying on it's back far in the veld with the wheels in the air on a lonely Karoo dirt road, it's obvious the skid started in the road from the marks. Once the wheels hit that ridge of loose gravel, the rollover starts. The worst is there is no cell reception on those roads so you have to stop and see that there is nobody lying in the veld, under or in the car as you may be the last person on that road that day.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Agree there. on a recent Nam trip we chatted to a number of overseas visitors who rented 4x4s. Most said that it was the first time on gravel and it scared them s..tless. That ridge of loose gravel left by the grader on the edge of the road is a killer.
    Correct. Whenever I come across a city registered 4x2 lying on it's back far in the veld with the wheels in the air on a lonely Karoo dirt road, it's obvious the skid started in the road from the marks. Once the wheels hit that ridge of loose gravel, the rollover starts. The worst is there is no cell reception on those roads so you have to stop and see that there is nobody lying in the veld, under or in the car as you may be the last person on that road that day.
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Funny thing is I often use the ridge, most often on a bike. If I feel my speed is slighty high in a turn I will allow myself to slowly drift out to the ridge and then use the ridge as a bank.

Let's take a look at awesome prices with Spar Specials, Waitrose Offers, Heb Weekly Ad, OK Furniture Specials and Avon Brochure.
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/06/01 at 06:20 PM.

The problem with the ridge in a car is that it tends to try and turn the car into the ridge. Bike won't have that issue.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

That ridge of loose gravel left by the grader on the edge of the road is a killer.
    The 'ridge' is not left there by the grader.

It is there due to the loose material being displaced (moved outward) from the road prism by the vehicles using the road.

The 'middelmannetjie' ridge is formed in the same way.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post

It is there due to the loose material being displaced (moved outward) from the road prism by the vehicles using the road.

I'm talking about public Karoo roads in the Great Karoo that are graded every now and then. These were not left by vehicles nor is there a middelmannetjie. Hit that ridge with a car and you will be in the veld.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01852.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	567645

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

on the d and c roads here in nam the ridge's are definately formed by the graders.

And agree they are the cause of some of the rollovers we have here, especially after a vehicle starts to slide, driver gets on the brakes and hit's the ridge at an angle. A lot of the accidents are also caused by overspeeding on the gravel, not just tyre pressure etc.

Most rental companies do advise the clients to drive in 4wd, but in recent time's some have started to advise against it as clients end up engaging everything including diff lock, which is obviously not great for the car. It is also often forgotten on when changing from gravel to tar. This however I blame on the rental company, they should give proper briefings and put a bunch of stickers all over the inside the car as reminders, or put a big orange light on the dashboard that goes on when 4x4 etc engaged to make sure the clients are reminded.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    I'm talking about public Karoo roads in the Great Karoo that are graded every now and then. These were not left by vehicles nor is there a middelmannetjie. Hit that ridge with a car and you will be in the veld.

Same here....graders make a huge ridge or berm on the sides....causing the roads to be waterlogged when raining....

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    Same here....graders make a huge ridge or berm on the sides....causing the roads to be waterlogged when raining....
    Your second photo shows a very frequent problem with lower class gravel roads.
    A proper gravel road is built up with fill so that it is higher than the surrounding topography.
    This obviously is not the case here.
    The road was shaped by blading out the topsoil and soft material.
    This removal and leaving of the removed material on the side of the road creates the problem.
    The result is that the road is lower than the surrounding topography.
    There are rudimentary side drains with 'banks' on the outsides.

I have to deal with that on a regular basis when designing the upgrading of roads from gravel to surfaced roads.
    It requires approx. 6000 cu m of fill per km to raise a simple class 3 road above the surrounding topography.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Your second photo shows a very frequent problem with lower class gravel roads.
    A proper gravel road is built up with fill so that it is higher than the surrounding topography.
    This obviously is not the case here.
    The road was shaped by blading out the topsoil and soft material.
    This removal and leaving of the removed material on the side of the road creates the problem.
    The result is that the road is lower than the surrounding topography.
    There are rudimentary side drains with 'banks' on the outsides.

I have to deal with that on a regular basis when designing the upgrading of roads from gravel to surfaced roads.
    It requires approx. 6000 cu m of fill per km to raise a simple class 3 road above the surrounding topography.
    Yip....all the topsoil has been moved to the sides....not even their attemps at drainage on the sides helps anymore cause of how low laying the road is compared to the topography on the sides....

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post

That looks like a highway to me.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    For safety reasons anyway do 4x4 when hitting gravel, any gravel. That should be a rule!!!
    So far, so good. Good advice from Johan, and an interesting discussion... But for safety's sake... and to 'make another rule'!
    It has very little to do with safety and lots to do with corrugations - and expensive fuel consumption - which is the downside of driving in 4x4 all the time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    So far, so good. Good advice from Johan, and an interesting discussion... But for safety's sake... and to 'make another rule'!
    It has very little to do with safety and lots to do with corrugations - and expensive fuel consumption - which is the downside of driving in 4x4 all the time.
    Exactly ..I only drive 4x2 because thats what my current Hilux is and I used to go shopping in PE in my Defender in Permanent 4x4 because thats what it was..You just have to adjust your driving and tyre pressures according to the vehicle you have and then once you decide 100 kmh is safe ..drive at 80 max ..its really simple

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jones View Post
    Errr..my stir for the pot.

My wife is a Pshycometrist and EQ is actually a valid Pshycometric concept that she tests in her daily life.... She had a good laugh when I showed her the below.
    The measurement of EQ is highly disputed as a quotient, although EI is readily defined.

The validity of the metric is where the wheels fall off.

And also, lower your tyre pressure on dirt. ��
    Last edited by Cyclone101; 2020/04/19 at 05:54 PM.

now explain this pic's to me and i allso engage to 4x4 on gravel roads ,happened this dec from spizkoppe to uis ,and about 40k's from uis we came upon this scene ,,walked back to see where the skid marks was ,nothing, but it happened in a slightly right turn ,,when we got in uis ,no one knew about this.must say the road was ok .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191220_084937.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	567939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191220_085011.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	610.7 KB 
ID:	567940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191220_085032.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	514.5 KB 
ID:	567941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191220_085039.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	474.7 KB 
ID:	567942  

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Speed before turn?
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Pic 2 shows a bend in the road, not sure if the vehicle had just come out that or was busy going into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Speed before turn?
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    That looks like a highway to me.
    Correct Riaan, anyone who hits the edge of that road has to be pissed.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jones View Post
    Errr..my stir for the pot.

My wife is a Pshycometrist and EQ is actually a valid Pshycometric concept that she tests in her daily life.... She had a good laugh when I showed her the below.

It is sometimes better to sit on your hands

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast