Guys, PLEASE!!! ALWAYS 4x4 on gravel - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Guys, PLEASE!!! ALWAYS 4x4 on gravel

So after reading all of this my conclusion is that if you have a 4 x 4 you should reduce tyre pressure, use 4 x 4 and engage centre diff lock. Do your part to improve the road conditions
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Defender TAZ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Defender TAZ View Post
    So after reading all of this my conclusion is that if you have a 4 x 4 you should reduce tyre pressure, use 4 x 4 and engage centre diff lock. Do your part to improve the road conditions
    Maybe add to slow down as speed causes bouncing of the wheel which causes corrugations

Your entry permit to Kgalighadi states that tyres must be deflated to 1.6 bar. At the fuel pump are two tyre gauges and lots of space to work.

One of the rules of the Kgalighadi. I go down to 1.4.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ngweshla View Post
    Maybe add to slow down as speed causes bouncing of the wheel which causes corrugations
    Not really. If you are looking at the sweet spot, you will notice that you will have to reduce speed to a crawl before you start flattening them. Not an option when you have a long drive ahead of you.

The danger with increasing speed to find the sweet spot is obviously losing control due to inexperience. Most of us do not drive these kind of roads like many farmers do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    We visited Kgalagardi the last four weeks and travelled the roads (4x4 only tracks) extensively. The corrugations are teeth rattling and mostly due to people driving in 2x4.

I know some will now start bitching about why 4x4 when 2x4 is OK. You just don't know.

The track from Nossob to Bitterpan was an eye-opener for the uninformed. The vehicle in front of me was certainly travelling in 2x4 and was corrugating the soft sand to such an extent that I had to move off the line and try to keep on the shoulder. This is a tweespoor and 50km of it. The longer I travel the more the m0$r in I got. At some stage Trudie said she hopes that guy is not at Bitterpan.

And he was!! An elderly guy who used to own a 200VX and recently swopped it for a LC Bakkie with an AHA top. He was travelling in 2x4 and quite proudly stated his truck did it without difficulty. When I explained what actually happened behind him in the track with the rear diff continuously throwing power from one wheel to the other to overcome the heavy drag that the front wheels are causing he was quite surprised. We actually took a stroll to the track entering the campsite and showed him his track and mine. Then he apologised profusely. He really did not know.

This happens on ANY gravel road, whether slight or extensive and this is what is starting a corrugation immediately after a grading and gets worsened as wheels go over more and more.

A rule should be that a 4x4- vehicle must ALWAYS be shifted to 4x4 (if not permanent) when on gravel. ANY GRAVEL.
    I absolutely agree!! However do remember that the correct tyre pressure will also help to prevent corrugations

Almost all 11 km to my work looks like this type corrugations

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    Almost all 11 km to my work looks like this type corrugations
    This road with my 195 15 tyres is best driven at 1.3 bar in my Lada's tyres...

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    This road with my 195 15 tyres is best driven at 1.3 bar in my Lada's tyres...
    Some of us own cars that weigh a bit more than a case of beer, like your Lada

Dozens of unbeatable deals are waiting for you on Sprouts Weekly Ad, Checkers Specials, Ocado Offers, Target Weekly Ad and Food Lovers Specials!
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/06/01 at 06:19 PM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Tow Bar View Post
    I absolutely agree!! However do remember that the correct tyre pressure will also help to prevent corrugations
    I did not mention this fact in my opening post as
    - It is a condition on entry to the park.
    - The warden, when opening the (always) locked gate to the Bitterpan road, checks tyres to be flattened.
    - Both his and my tyres were deflated.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ngweshla View Post
    L

so after reading all of this... I look at it like this

it does not matter if the wheel is driven or not corrugations will form on any soft surface

corrugations happen at speed on soft surfaces with any type of wheel or wheel diameter.
    If that is the case, why is the corrugation usually worse in places where people accelerate from slow speeds, like after cattle grids or sharp turns?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

This reminds me of watching locals driving 4X2 bakkies in the sand at Santa Maria. Driver drops the clutch and puts foot. Three passengers stand on the tailgate and jump up and down. Makes impressive "waves" in the sand!

Corrugations are caused by a combination of factors.
    Driving 4*4 or 2*4 is not one of them.
    Might as well use 2SO in your diesel if you believe that.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    Corrugations are caused by a combination of factors.
    Driving 4*4 or 2*4 is not one of them.
    Might as well use 2SO in your diesel if you believe that.
    From Wikipedia :

Washboarding or corrugation[1] is the formation of periodic, transverse ripples in the surface of gravel and dirt roads. Washboarding occurs in dry, granular road material[2] with repeated traffic, traveling at speeds above 8.0 kilometres per hour (5 mph).[3] Washboarding creates an uncomfortable ride for the occupants of traversing vehicles and hazardous driving conditions for vehicles that travel too fast to maintain traction and control.[4]

Mechanism
    Washboarding or corrugation of roads comprises a series of ripples, which occur with the passage of wheels rolling over unpaved roads at speeds sufficient to cause bouncing of the wheel on the initially unrippled surface and take on the appearance of a laundry washboard. Most studies of washboarding pertain to granular materials, including sand and gravel.[1][5] However, other work suggests that the phenomenon may occur in material which has some binding of particles, e.g. clay-like soils.[6]

Highway department experts in the mid-1920s were aware that traffic volume and speed were primary causes of corrugations on gravel roads and cited the role of drive wheels tossing material as a factor.[7][8]

Laboratory-scale studies of the phenomenon typically employ a wheel or a blade, which is towed behind a pivot point, tracing a circular path through a pan of the material under examination. These studies have investigated a variety of granular and viscous, even fluid, materials.[1][6] In the laboratory, washboarding has been studied for a range of parameters, including the thickness and grain size of the material for varied wheel sizes, shapes, and masses. Experiments produced ripples for each parameter, above a threshold speed, when the wheel (or blade) began to bounce.[1] Experiments also show that the pattern can move either against the direction of motion or in the direction of motion. They also show that a passive, non-driving wheel suffices to create corrugations and that displacement of material, rather than ejection, is the dominant mechanism.[1]

Several articles about real-life washboarding on roads cite South Dakota Local Transportation Assistance Program (LTAP) Special Bulletin #29, “Dealing with Washboarding,” by Ken Skorseth.[2][9] Those sources attribute washboarding to three causes: dry granular materials, vehicle speeds, and the quality of the granular material. Other factors cited include vehicle speed, traffic volume, and hard acceleration or braking. The sources also claim that light vehicles are more likely to cause washboarding than heavy trucks.[9]
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ubbo For This Useful Post:

Ignorance is bliss!!!
    Most just do not understand how their 4x4 systems function and how to use them optimally
    And 4x2 ers gloat that they did it without 4x4!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to spark For This Useful Post:

2 cents of a tourist..................

this year I was very surprised to receive instructions from the rental company near Windhoek:

You are not allowed to engage 4x4 on "normal" gravel roads and/or sandtracks.
    If you have to use it for a moment switch it as soon as possible!

Tyre pressure on tar 3 on gravel 2.2, less is never necessary. on normal sandtracks it will be fine aswell

I did not obeye this ruling because I feel much safer with 4x4 on gravel

but I am always mixed up with the correct tyre pressure because each year if I ask this when we pick up the car the instructions are different.
    Because we have "some" experience I do not listen to this pressure advice and do what I feel is right. However if I travel in deep sand at 1.8 I feel in secure because of the advice given.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bastiaan For This Useful Post:

My two cents, driving a Jimny....
    It drives noticeably more "connected" on gravel in 4x4, also seems to smooth out driving on corrugations a bit.
    Our group do a fair bit of driving sand tracks, reduced tyre pressure absolutely required on some of them.
    The Jimny is light, even with Dunlop AT I can go down to 0.6 bar, we have not had a single de bead yet.
    Cannot wait for this lockdown to end, getting serious withdrawal here, the sand is calling
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

Quote Originally Posted by bastiaan View Post
    2 cents of a tourist..................

this year I was very surprised to receive instructions from the rental company near Windhoek:

You are not allowed to engage 4x4 on "normal" gravel roads and/or sandtracks.
    If you have to use it for a moment switch it as soon as possible!

Tyre pressure on tar 3 on gravel 2.2, less is never necessary. on normal sandtracks it will be fine aswell

I did not obeye this ruling because I feel much safer with 4x4 on gravel

but I am always mixed up with the correct tyre pressure because each year if I ask this when we pick up the car the instructions are different.
    Because we have "some" experience I do not listen to this pressure advice and do what I feel is right. However if I travel in deep sand at 1.8 I feel in secure because of the advice given.
    IMHO (Before I get fried again)

I believe this is one of the reasons contributing to the more than average number of rental roll-overs
    in Namibia
    that we read about.

The most silly advise possible.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    The most silly advise possible.
    This I definitely agree with. Would love to understand where this belief originated.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2020/04/13 at 04:14 PM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    This I definitely agree with. Would love to understand where this belief originated.
    They probably listened to BFG salemen re tyre pressures, and probably had some TC repairs from guys who forgot to unlock diff lock when they got to tar roads. Less repairs if they advise them to not use them unless absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    Corrugations are worse on corners, coming out of drifts (and on steep gradients) because of 2 (spinning) wheel drive vehicles.
    Corriugations on corners are caused by water runoff due to the camber. Always smoother to drive on the shoulder but you better know what you're doing.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Oreo For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast