Guys, PLEASE!!! ALWAYS 4x4 on gravel - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Guys, PLEASE!!! ALWAYS 4x4 on gravel

I also had some advice to overinflate on roads like the R355 through the Tankwa to stop sidewall punctures
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    You're either flipping huge, flipping smooth or flipping lucky for it not to have turned ugly. Because clearly your rule shouldn't necessarily be a rule I'm so over campsite know it alls
    One is never too old to learn and being corteous is a good quality to have.

Having said that, I have stopped getting involved in trying to help and assist people from other parts of the country who come to the coast on holiday who, because they drive a fancy bakkie think 3bar is a lekker pressure to spin everything tmurngone. If one dares say anything you are vloeked, when they get stuck, which they will and you refuse to help them you are vloeked and the drunk boepens manne want to trade knuckle sandwiches want jy is nou mos die boks. I don't profess to know it all driving coastal sand, however, stuff I have forgotten from actual coastal sand driving for many years, some people hope to still learn in ten years.

Our coastal towns and local campsites here have a big vervet monkey problem and the males will take food from children, at times violently with serious consequences for the child. At my daughter's school they are not allowed to eat outside during breaks so when we are at campsites and I see people feeding the monkeys I used to caution them. But I have stopped as I got tired of people like you who tell me to F off.

Yes, it also irritates the crap out of me when people invade your private space in a campsite to advise on something or to give advice, I usually do the intelligent thing of listening and saying thank you but never will it get ugly. I am a bigger man than that.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    You're either flipping huge, flipping smooth or flipping lucky
    That is Johan on the right. You decide
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    For me a definite NO as the traction control switches off when CD is engaged on my car.

I could feel the difference in these two selections on the gravel between Vanzylsrus and Bokspits, a good 220+km. And CD off won by far
    Johan I do agree with your observation. The few times I had Swambos Volla bus on a gravel road it were miles better with TC on.

Get the freshest and quality groceries with Pick n Pay Specials, Iceland Offers, Safeway Weekly Ad, Makro Specials and Lidl Offers!
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/06/01 at 06:19 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Onder 150km/h, werk tc ok. Bo 150 ry ek nooit met tc aan op grondpad nie. My bestuurstyl en wat die tc wil toelaat is nie dieselfde. Tc wil nie dat jy met jou gat begin stuur deur draaie.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    We do that road quite often, gets worse everytime. I have also been behind some one in 4x4 but with hard tyres. When confronted, arrogant as hell. Spoilt our visit.

Once again its not the vehicle but the nut behind the wheel.
    Standard defense is "my vehicle is too heavy to deflate"
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2020/04/12 at 10:25 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Standard defense is "my vehicle is too heavy to deflate"
    ...or too lazy....

...or 'how do I inflate again'
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

For me a definite NO as the traction control switches off when CD is engaged on my car.

I could feel the difference in these two selections on the gravel between Vanzylsrus and Bokspits, a good 220+km. And CD off won by far
    This will vary from vehicle to vehicle as some traction control systems are made to be effective on sealed surfaces. Sone TC systems are just plain bad.

TC is a reactive measure where CD is proactive and more linear in its response and working towards loss of traction.

How many times did you lose enough traction to let TC engage? Its a emergency measure, CD will give more than sufficient traction.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post

How many times did you lose enough traction to let TC engage? Its a emergency measure, CD will give more than sufficient traction.
    Interesting question.

On that road mentioned the car was loaded quite heavy for a 7-day in the Kgalagadi (50L water and 40L diesel amongst Trudie's errrm 'stuff')

The road was at times quite corrugated and others smooth. General speed was 100km/h to glide over the imperfections. Through some of the tighter bends I would tap off with CD on as the car felt unstable. Other similar bends with CD off (and TC on) the car would glide through with Trudie (remembering the previous bend) stiffening with some negative comments coming my way just to calm down and also surprised as to what technology can do. Important not to tap off in the bend. The car does all the controls!

Fascinating!!
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Onder 150km/h, werk tc ok. Bo 150 ry ek nooit met tc aan op grondpad nie. My bestuurstyl en wat die tc wil toelaat is nie dieselfde. Tc wil nie dat jy met jou gat begin stuur deur draaie.
    Ou brggat!
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

My Lada 4*4 is permanent 4*4 met mechanical tc en center diff lock wat mechanical ge-engage word....geen probleem met grondpad....solank wielle 1.3 bar is vir grondpad ry....

Default Guys, PLEASE!!! ALWAYS 4x4 on gravel

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    My Lada 4*4 is permanent 4*4 met mechanical tc en center diff lock wat mechanical ge-engage word....geen probleem met grondpad....solank wielle 1.3 bar is vir grondpad ry....
    Hoeveel hp kan daai lada tcs hanteer. Het een van hulle in my stoor.
    Het nie besef hulle is full time 4x4.
    Sien hulle het 2 selector shafts.
    Miskien moet ek dit oirweeg met my w123 op disco onderstel. Wonder net of hy 260 kw sal kan hanteer.
    Last edited by Reenen; 2020/04/12 at 12:36 PM.

Hang af van die drywer...as jy hom in ratte gaan in fliksem en nie mooi werk met die clutch nie sal hy nie lank hou nie...maar soos enige ander kar...ek het nou ander dag n ou met n colt bakkie gekry wat probeer het om n hatchback BMW deur modder te sleep na ek vir die beemer drywer gese^ het om om te draai...toe staan Colt bakkie en spin met net te min traction innie modder...toe haak ek maar met my Lada die front end van die Colt bakkie sodat die bietjie extra traction wat die lada bydra ook kan help en kry toe so die Colt nog vas aan die beamer wat hy sleep altwee uit die modder...spinning wheels and all...
    Ander dag n Prado uitgesleep wat n trailer aan hom gehak gehaad het... En n paar ander karre intussen...so ek misbruik my kar gereeld...

Tc is nos divorced. Ek gaan n engine met auto box voor hom sit. So torque converter vat baie van pak. Maar hy sal hard speel.
    Huidiglik is beplanning patrol tc.

I used to do the Hotazel - Vanzyls Rus - Twee Rivieren Road Zinkplaat all the way not the scraped roads and tarred highway of today i. This was in the 1970s and in my VW Beetle in 4x 2 ..just dont speed as those corners north of Askam in those days would have you on your roof in no time

Het nie besef hulle is full time 4x4.
    Sien hulle het 2 selector shafts.
    Miskien moet ek dit oirweeg met my w123 op disco onderstel. Wonder net of hy 260 kw sal kan hanteer.
    Die langer shift is high range /low range...corte is center diff lock....twee knoppe van die levers bymekaar is offroad....ywee knoppe weg van mekaar vir normal road use...laat weet maar as jy daai tc wil verkoop...kan dalk n koper oppie whatsapp lada groepe kry vir dit....dink jou beste om te doen is om eerder n nissan safari tc te kry wat syerker gebou is vir daai conversion wat jy will doen...ek glo nie die lada tc kan 260kw kan hanteer nie....ek sal eerder vir Safarie tc gaan in jou geval...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I used to do the Hotazel - Vanzyls Rus - Twee Rivieren Road Zinkplaat all the way not the scraped roads and tarred highway of today i. This was in the 1970s and in my VW Beetle in 4x 2 ..just dont speed as those corners north of Askam in those days would have you on your roof in no time
    Ek het daai pad van hotashel na askham al langs molopo en Botswana grens met my 123 merc gedoen

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sclater View Post
    Wanted to post something similar. Watched a video the other day where a XJ was going up a sand incline under constant throttle in 4wd and you could see pulses from the drive train causing "corregations" in the sand. My idea is it relates more to how u joints work on the drivetrain than engine pulses as the angles are never 100% perfectly aligned as the suspension moves.

In this vid you can see how u joints transfer power irregularly when everything isn't 100% aligned.

https://youtu.be/Idk3BVDVHq4

I agree 100%.

The shorter the wheelbase the worse the problem on high-lifters.
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    Old school. QL is not an instructor.

We visited Kgalagardi the last four weeks and travelled the roads (4x4 only tracks) extensively. The corrugations are teeth rattling and mostly due to people driving in 2x4.

I know some will now start bitching about why 4x4 when 2x4 is OK. You just don't know.

The track from Nossob to Bitterpan was an eye-opener for the uninformed. The vehicle in front of me was certainly travelling in 2x4 and was corrugating the soft sand to such an extent that I had to move off the line and try to keep on the shoulder. This is a tweespoor and 50km of it. The longer I travel the more the m0$r in I got. At some stage Trudie said she hopes that guy is not at Bitterpan.

And he was!! An elderly guy who used to own a 200VX and recently swopped it for a LC Bakkie with an AHA top. He was travelling in 2x4 and quite proudly stated his truck did it without difficulty. When I explained what actually happened behind him in the track with the rear diff continuously throwing power from one wheel to the other to overcome the heavy drag that the front wheels are causing he was quite surprised. We actually took a stroll to the track entering the campsite and showed him his track and mine. Then he apologised profusely. He really did not know.

This happens on ANY gravel road, whether slight or extensive and this is what is starting a corrugation immediately after a grading and gets worsened as wheels go over more and more.

A rule should be that a 4x4- vehicle must ALWAYS be shifted to 4x4 (if not permanent) when on gravel. ANY GRAVEL.
    Man, I can only agree 200%, try the Gharaghap road

L
    We visited Kgalagardi the last four weeks and travelled the roads (4x4 only tracks) extensively. The corrugations are teeth rattling and mostly due to people driving in 2x4.

I know some will now start bitching about why 4x4 when 2x4 is OK. You just don't know.

The track from Nossob to Bitterpan was an eye-opener for the uninformed. The vehicle in front of me was certainly travelling in 2x4 and was corrugating the soft sand to such an extent that I had to move off the line and try to keep on the shoulder. This is a tweespoor and 50km of it. The longer I travel the more the m0$r in I got. At some stage Trudie said she hopes that guy is not at Bitterpan.

And he was!! An elderly guy who used to own a 200VX and recently swopped it for a LC Bakkie with an AHA top. He was travelling in 2x4 and quite proudly stated his truck did it without difficulty. When I explained what actually happened behind him in the track with the rear diff continuously throwing power from one wheel to the other to overcome the heavy drag that the front wheels are causing he was quite surprised. We actually took a stroll to the track entering the campsite and showed him his track and mine. Then he apologised profusely. He really did not know.

This happens on ANY gravel road, whether slight or extensive and this is what is starting a corrugation immediately after a grading and gets worsened as wheels go over more and more.

A rule should be that a 4x4- vehicle must ALWAYS be shifted to 4x4 (if not permanent) when on gravel. ANY GRAVEL.
    so after reading all of this... I look at it like this

it does not matter if the wheel is driven or not corrugations will form on any soft surface

corrugations happen at speed on soft surfaces with any type of wheel or wheel diameter.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ngweshla For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast