Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8 oil consumption.

Default Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8 oil consumption.

A friend of mine in Namibia is experiencing high oil consumption with his 76 V8, almost a liter of engine oil every 1000 kms. It is meticulously looked after and serviced. Has anybody else experienced this and are there any known reasons please.

I also notice a vast amount of cruiser 4.5 V8s for sale second hand, is there any particular reason? I know cruisers are bullet proof and last forever, and am sure the V8s will to?

Default Re: Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8 oil consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by PUW View Post
    A friend of mine in Namibia is experiencing high oil consumption with his 76 V8, almost a liter of engine oil every 1000 kms. It is meticulously looked after and serviced. Has anybody else experienced this and are there any known reasons please.

I also notice a vast amount of cruiser 4.5 V8s for sale second hand, is there any particular reason? I know cruisers are bullet proof and last forever, and am sure the V8s will to?
    Posted on one of my threads. Cruiser now going for 80k km. Not a drop of oil between services since using Delo 400.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    So the V8 used a little bit of oil, about 500ml per 1000km Started to look at the oil specs. Toyota uses a Toyota branded 10W30 oil. For top ups you need oil from the dealer. According to the Cruiser owners manual it actually needs 15W40 oil in our environment.

With the Cruiser approaching 40 000km I have decided to do the service myself. All my other engines runs on Dello 400. The Guru`s from the Cruiser Club also recommended Dello 400. Yes I know I kicked the warranty but pay for services with the wrong grade of oil is not inline with my way of doing things.

Cruisers are really easy to service and you can see it were build with the idea of servicing it in the bush. One of the reasons for buying the Cruiser the no nonsense design. Have covered more than 2000km since the service. The good news no need for oil top up. Still on the mark as serviced. Keeping in mind that we have just completed a West Coast trip with lots of 4x4.

Really enjoyed the Cruiser on the trip. Love the low down grunt of the diesel v8.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/04/09 at 12:46 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I've also read that many TDV8 owners fit an oil catch can, usually a Provent or similar.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Running Fuchs Titan MC 10W40 in my Cruiser, these V8 do not like anything synthetic. No oil usage.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JJ-Namibia For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Posted on one of my threads. Cruiser now going for 80k km. Not a drop of oil between services since using Delo 400.
    Selfde as oom Grips ook.
    Ek gebruik ook Delo 400 en olie verbruik is minimaal.
    Met die 10w30, ek dink dit is wat Toyota gebruik, het ek ook so 1lt/1000km gebruik gehad, veral waneer ek sleep en ho laat werk.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

JJ Nam
    Is daardie 10w40 nie ook sinteties nie? As ek na viskositeit kyk lyk dit amper so?

How many kilometres on the odo? Newer cars sometimes use a bit of oil and then they settle. My previous Toyota diesel used oil up to around 50 000km and then not a drop after that up to 300 000km. Current one with the same engine never used oil but has started using recently. On 315 000 km now.

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    JJ Nam
    Is daardie 10w40 nie ook sinteties nie? As ek na viskositeit kyk lyk dit amper so?
    Nee, maar perform soos synteties, dit is ook n long service interval olie. Ek hardloop Delo en Caltex olie op my landy en kan die verskil voel op die gearbox ... Die Fusch olie was beter in die gearbox, onmiddelike verskil gevoel
    Last edited by JJ-Namibia; 2020/04/10 at 03:42 PM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    Drive it like you stole it!!

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

So if my 76 v8, 2014 model 230 000km on the clock works hard I get a low oil warning more or less just before next 10k km service interval...otherwise no noticeable oil usage.

This is the oil I have used for just about ever ...
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

LC 4.5 td V8. pick up, 32000km, serviced by Toyota, not a drop of oil used.
    (I have had 2 x 4.2 d (straight 6) and 260000km, and they did not used oil, SAE40, winter and summer, non turbo)
    I sort of understand oil and its classification, I always check the API spec, most oils a way ahead of the manufacturers spec's.
    Synthetic vs standard? (the oil base is the same in a synthetic and standard mineral oil, the difference is in the additives)
    Let me explain, please research the www as well (start with API standards)
    SAE 30 oil, is viscosity is 30, (standard set up long ago, its the time certain thickness oil takes to flow a length of a certain size pipe, set up by ? long time ago), in essence, the lower the SAE, the thinner the oil. SAE 10 oil, almost like diesel, (machine oil) , SAE30 or SAE40, close together. SAE 80 is thick gear oil.
    OK, the colder the climate the thinner the oil specified by the manufacturer.
    Now 10w30 ? , Its SAE30 with additives in it to make it perform like SAE10 for the first 2 min of the engine running, the w stands for winter, designed for Canada in winter, -25 c.
    SAE10w60 ?, SAE 60 (thick oil, working like a SAE10 when -25c and not to thin at 50c, for our friends in the desert of N Africa in winter, definitely not for ZA)
    API started with oil standard in about 1920?, SAE 30 SA (SAE 30, the S is for spark, ie petrol engine, the A the first series, about 1920 oil)
    Now, SAE 40 CN (Modern oil, SAE 40 the C is for compression engines, ie diesel and on the market about 2011)
    SAE standards started with A in 1920 then B, C, D etc, currently on M, about 2011.
    Our morden fancy oils, 10W40 S/C M. Its a SAE40 acts like SAE10 in -25c and good for 40c, its good for S = petrol engine and C = diesel engine, ie a modern multi grade oil good for a Yamaha R1 high revving petrol and a MAN turbo diesel truck doing 2500 rpm.
    Back to Toyota diesels?, An 3.0 d4d API spec is API 10w40 CI 4 (About 2002 oil, the 4 stands for turbo and EGR ready)
    So our new oils are at M, and a 3.0 d4d spec is at I, the new oils are much higher specked than Toyota specifies for the 3.0d4d.
    Lets cut to the chase, ZA seldom gets below -10c in winter, and seldom over 40c in summer.
    Winter oil, API SAE20w40 CM, semi synthetic or standard is ample
    Summer oil, API SAE20w40 CM is ample

If you use a SAE05w30 in summer, my thinking its to thin for ZA and expect oil consumption.

this is a very simple and brief explination to oil, there are many other standards like MIL (US army) JD (John deere) Mercedes Benz etc but the across the board standard that is easy to understand is the American petroleum Instituse (API standard, its on every can of oil.

Get your cars specs, check your min and max in c and work it out for yourself.
    Included two basic charts.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to novice 2015 For This Useful Post:

Diesel engine always using oil between services , if not using a drop then there is a problem , but using 1liter on 1000km there is also a problem .
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Swart Jan For This Useful Post:

The cruiser has 60000 kms on it. Just think the oil consumption is a bit much and generally is driven around empty, does not work hard.

Perhaps it needs to tow a trailer for a while to get the rings to seat a bit better?

Friend is a “Meccie” at a Toyota dealership in the Westen Cape. He recently visited me so I asked him if he had changed a 2.8 GD engine. To my surprise he said a couple due excessive oil use , due wrong rings. Some clients wanted new engines other choose option of new rings to avoid the problem with engine change numbers.

The cruiser has 60000 kms on it. Just think the oil consumption is a bit much and generally is driven around empty, does not work hard.

Perhaps it needs to tow a trailer for a while to get the rings to seat a bit better?
    And there is your problem. Glazed cylinder bore from "idling" most of its life. Work that vehicle a bit and let the rings bed in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjo View Post
    Friend is a “Meccie” at a Toyota dealership in the Westen Cape. He recently visited me so I asked him if he had changed a 2.8 GD engine. To my surprise he said a couple due excessive oil use , due wrong rings. Some clients wanted new engines other choose option of new rings to avoid the problem with engine change numbers.
    When I complained about my cars oil consumption (think it was 500ml/1000km at that stage), Toyota said it is within spec. Only when it burns more than 1L per 1000km will they look at it, as far as I know.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

[QUOTE=kenskind;4368756]And there is your problem. Glazed cylinder bore from "idling" most of its life. Work that vehicle a bit and let the rings bed in again.[/QUOTE

Feeding 2 spoons of VIM into the engine can de-glazed cylinder bore's . Very old trick .
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Swart Jan View Post

Feeding 2 spoons of VIM into the engine can de-glazed cylinder bore's . Very old trick .
    and best done on somebody else's engine
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post: