Lo and behold.... another diy caravan. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Lo and behold.... another diy caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I fully agree. I don't have space for a caravan (not even if I try), but man these threads make me want to build my own!

EDIT: What's the legalities on building your own caravan like? Hard to register, get on the road, get approved, etc. etc.?
    It is possible but to much rig ma role. That is why I got getaway to build my frame fully licensed.
    2015 Mitsubishi triton 2.5 4x4

Velvaglo, if a few coats are done well with a roller is waterproof.

It will chip but maintenance is easy.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Velvaglo, if a few coats are done well with a roller is waterproof.

It will chip but maintenance is easy.
    Thanks... been my experience as well.

Well thought out there Joe.Lots of space.Why dont you have canvas doors made up for internal cupboards.Normal doors with hinges come loose and add weight.
    Just an idea.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    2000 Prado 90 KZTE SWB.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LC Man For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe triton View Post
    It is possible but to much rig ma role. That is why I got getaway to build my frame fully licensed.
    Could you explain a bit more? I was thinking of taking an existing trailer frame and just bolting everything on top. Could that work? Then the frame's paperwork is done, but it might need rectifying for the added weight? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by LC Man View Post
    Well thought out there Joe.Lots of space.Why dont you have canvas doors made up for internal cupboards.Normal doors with hinges come loose and add weight.
    Just an idea.
    I did think of canvas that work with zip. I will investigate the matter properly before I commence.

Could you explain a bit more? I was thinking of taking an existing trailer frame and just bolting everything on top. Could that work? Then the frame's paperwork is done, but it might need rectifying for the added weight? I dunno.
    As a matter of interest... I have a trailer license for a home built. It is about 30years old. No trailer. However the GVM on this lisence is only 250kg. After quering if I could have this license changed to say a 1.5ton, it seemed that I nneded so much documentation and paperwork for each additonal item or piece of metal that I just decided to follow the getaway route. I will probably build another small garden trailer with the other license.

Great build, thanks for sharing!
    David -
    20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Decal Edition 3.5L

If your only tools are a cutting torch and hammer, all of your problems are locomotives...

I love these build threads, shows that some guys have some real skill.
    Looks awesome!!
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Hi, it looks like all panels, bed, cupboards, etc are made from the 18mm plywood? From my experience that is quite strong but also very heavy. You don't think the finished caravan will be too heavy?

Henry

2010 Navara 2.5 D/C 4x4
    2016 Chev Utility Club 1.8
    Echo 4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Henryv For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henryv View Post
    Hi, it looks like all panels, bed, cupboards, etc are made from the 18mm plywood? From my experience that is quite strong but also very heavy. You don't think the finished caravan will be too heavy?
    It will be heavy, but at the moment I can still lift it in the front and pull it around. Most of the weight is added now. I will weigh the caravan when fully loaded, just out of interest. I believe it will hardly touch 800kg.

You need to update the tara once you are finished as the present is just for the initial structure. While plywood is strong and sturdy I think you are going to get a slight surprise if you take it to the weigh bridge

For covering think about epoxy resin, it will penetrate the wood and provide a decent waterproof seal that remains flexible
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

It will be heavy, but at the moment I can still lift it in the front and pull it around. Most of the weight is added now. I will weigh the caravan when fully loaded, just out of interest. I believe it will hardly touch 800kg.
    I doubted your claim for a moment, but that should be possible.

I was thinking of perhaps laminating a 0.6mm alu sheet to the the exterior of the shutter board.

Thing is shutter ply is extremely flexible to work with despite the other disadvantages and I am seriously considering going this route for my own build.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Put it this way. The bottom of the trailer must be sealed very well and each area will definitely get an alu sheet as this is where most damage could occur.
    Epoxy resin is defintely good, but .....
    About 25years back I built a tree house in the back yard for my 2 boys. I painted it with a good undercoat and 2 layers of velvaglo paint. 15years later I removed the tree house and there was no rot in the wood. When painting is done correctly it really lasts a long time. The caravan has a good undercoat and 2 layers (very thick) of velvaglo. I am gonna give it a light sanding and paint another coat.
    Thanks for all the positive comments and ideas so far. .
    As the build progresses after lockdown I will keep everyone updated.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe triton For This Useful Post:

Nicely done! Awesome progress.

Never too many of these threads going around. Love looking at them and getting ideas for my own build. Just wish I had more time to spend on it...now with lockdown I have the time, but have run out of supplies!

I also wanted to go the route of a new, custom built, registered trailer to build on. Was just to expensive for my build budget...would you be willing to share what you paid for the trailer? You can PM me if you don't want it here on the public forum.

Good luck on your build! Will be following with interest!

Sorry if this derails your thread a bit...

I talked to the guy at the roadworthy place when I bought and registered the trailer, and remember these points he made (hope I remember this correctly...sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ):
    - If it was an flat-bed trailer, the license will say so (mine says so on the disc). Thus it should be change on e-Natis, and license disc in affect to "kokerbak/closed trailer".
    - Needs to be weighed for tare to change on e-Natis/license disc.
    - Keep the GVM where it is. To change that is possible, but a bit of a mission especially when going from 750kg or under, to more than that.
    - ake 100% sure to keep the total wet weight (loaded with everything) under the GVM - which in my case is 750kg.
    - He recommended (hush, hush, never said it) to keep the license as is, and cross the bridge if someone has a real issue with it.

A good friend of mine has something similar also built on an older registered flat-bed trailer. He has 8 bolts (like mine) which basically fastens the caravan section to the trailer. He has been pulled over a few times (more from curiosity than anything else), and only queried once. He then said that it is not fixed to the trailer. 8 bolts and he lifts it off to reveal the flatbed. As it's not permanently fixed, it is a load. Speedies let him go with that. Not sure how legally acceptable that is, but I'm going that route. If this is troublesome, I'll have the registration done correctly. There are people who will help you with this for a fee.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

20. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Hi, .... Mine does state kokerbak trailer. As can be seen from my 1st post it has a frame that goes over. However, My concern was a fully licensed trailer that is correctly licensed. This was getaways problem to ensure correct licensing.
    And the price..... Well R26000 . This included everything except the rims and tyres as I had 4 spare triton rim and tyres in garage. I dont think the price was to bad as it also included galvanizing.
    If I had to do all myself it would be close to R20000. Then its my time and home electricity plus licensing worries.

Hi, .... Mine does state kokerbak trailer. As can be seen from my 1st post it has a frame that goes over. However, My concern was a fully licensed trailer that is correctly licensed. This was getaways problem to ensure correct licensing.
    And the price..... Well R26000 . This included everything except the rims and tyres as I had 4 spare triton rim and tyres in garage. I dont think the price was to bad as it also included galvanizing.
    If I had to do all myself it would be close to R20000. Then its my time and home electricity plus licensing worries.
    Cool!

Second part of my reply was towards Toxxyc query on using an existing, registered trailer.

Your approach regarding the trailer and licensing makes absolute sense to me. Exact approach I wanted to take originally. Makes so many things easier. If I ever do this again, I hope I have a larger budget. Then I will definitely go the custom built frame route like you did.

Agree with you on price. From the prices I got (for something which was basically just a frame with no uprights, 750kg GVM) the price you got wasn't bad at all!
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Getting the right tara and correcting the NATIS data as well as paying is the "right"thing to do, woop de dee do, but ..... once again is the Blou baadjie looking at a licence disk to make sure it belongs to a vehicle at a roadblock and boom there goes your holiday, it can be tight spot to get out of. The old main reason why you tow with an EB license if you go over 750kg .....Insurace ... should you be involved in an accident you could end up without insurance and having to pay the other partie's claim as well
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Getting the right tara and correcting the NATIS data as well as paying is the "right"thing to do, woop de dee do, but ..... once again is the Blou baadjie looking at a licence disk to make sure it belongs to a vehicle at a roadblock and boom there goes your holiday, it can be tight spot to get out of. The old main reason why you tow with an EB license if you go over 750kg .....Insurace ... should you be involved in an accident you could end up without insurance and having to pay the other partie's claim as well
    I am an old man, so I have an EB license and can tow trailers greater than 750kg.

Yeah you're going to have to do something about the plywood. It's not made to withstand the elements, even with a coat of paint. You could coat it with a layer of some sort of waterproofing paint, or perhaps a type of flexible epoxy like used on floors?

EDIT: It looks brilliant though...
    The green edge on the wood denotes shutterply. Used in the building trade. It is good for 15 years.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Owow For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast