Thinking of getting basic offroad caravan build.

Default Thinking of getting basic offroad caravan build.

So I can not weld and design stuff as all the experts.
    I can get a offroad caravan build and then kit it out as time goes on.
    Is this a good or bad idea.

Default Re: Thinking of getting basic offroad caravan build.

Fatbike

Depends on what you intend spending and how much of it you want to recover as you will sell it at some point in your life.

I am an offroad caravan and trailer dealer. We do not touch homebuilt caravans/trailers although some are of excellent quality and design.

You can't finance it in most cases either. The same goes for lesser known Commercial brands.

But, having said all of that I bought a lesser known Offroad caravan for myself @ a VERY good price, and made peace with the fact that it will not hold its value as well as the better known products in the market. It does however tick all the boxes for us as a family, is relatively light compared to its competitors and tows exceptionally well in my opinion.

I would not spend a massive amount of money on a homebuilt/custom built trailer, but if it is cost effective, exactly what you want and there is nothing like it available commercially at a similar price, then you might be correct in going that route.

Most people buy a car that will have good resale value, very few buy cars they have a real passion for. Trick is to get the one that does both.

Rudu
    2007 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Mine
    2005 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Her's
    2008 3.2 did 4x4 DC Triton - Now with my Dad
    2006 Imagine Trailvan with Bunduawn 360

Fatbike teken vir jou self wat jy ingedagte het besluit met wat se material jy gaan gebruik gaan na n person wat die werk kan doen of gaan sien die off road vervaardigers self en sien of hulle jou kan help dan maak jy n som en sien is dit die moeite werd of nie nie hoop ek maak sin sorry for the Afrikaans sterkte

To have a good chassis built with documentation, will cost in the region of 25-30k, depending on the components used and the purpose.
    The chassis of my caravan cost 28k. The Burquip components that went into the chassis was 18k. 3x 15"tyres and rims, 1.6 ton axle, run in brakes, lights, 2x 1.6t stabiliser jacks & jack brackets, Jockey, coupling, brake cables, electrical cable and plug. The manufacturing of the frame, floor and the galvanising was 10k. Building the shell cost me +/- 40k. (I manufactured myself).
    All in all, with all the accessories, it cost me +/- 80k.
    Depending on the purpose of your caravan/trailer. You could pick up a echo 3/4 with RTT for something in that region.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    To have a good chassis built with documentation, will cost in the region of 25-30k, depending on the components used and the purpose.
    The chassis of my caravan cost 28k. The Burquip components that went into the chassis was 18k. 3x 15"tyres and rims, 1.6 ton axle, run in brakes, lights, 2x 1.6t stabiliser jacks & jack brackets, Jockey, coupling, brake cables, electrical cable and plug. The manufacturing of the frame, floor and the galvanising was 10k. Building the shell cost me +/- 40k. (I manufactured myself).
    Depending on the purpose of your caravan/trailer. You could pick up a echo 3/4 with RTT for something in that region.
    Thanks not looking for trailer with rtt.
    I have a echo chobe 1 just thought of getting something a bit newer.

You could speak to the local builders/suppliers and ask for a base unit without anything but the body. Would cost substantially less than a complete unit with all the bells.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

You are at a disadvantage even before you start, the fact that you can not weld ( can be learned relatively easy) and worse not having design skills puts you back a bit. Desiding on what features you want is not design it is knowing what and how to put the support in place to be able to have the features and knowing what is practical or not that is the tricky part, one of my workers always said "there's no university for experience" He was so right.
    Having a caravan built is doing a custom build and does not matter how long it takes it will be expensive.

My suggestion would be to look at what is available commercially and do your homework Jaguar caravans are much better priced than Bush lapa and are so similar, Conqueror are different from Echo and Jurgens caters for a different market. Do your homework and see what maket ticks the most boxes for your style of camping. No need to tow a Conqueror if all you need is to go to an Aventura style camp that has a bit of a dirt road driving to get there.
    Then you can customize the caravan to suit your style, no commercial van ever does suit your needs 100%. You would most probably get a fair bite of the customization back when you sell.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    You are at a disadvantage even before you start, the fact that you can not weld ( can be learned relatively easy) and worse not having design skills puts you back a bit. Desiding on what features you want is not design it is knowing what and how to put the support in place to be able to have the features and knowing what is practical or not that is the tricky part, one of my workers always said "there's no university for experience" He was so right.
    Having a caravan built is doing a custom build and does not matter how long it takes it will be expensive.

My suggestion would be to look at what is available commercially and do your homework Jaguar caravans are much better priced than Bush lapa and are so similar, Conqueror are different from Echo and Jurgens caters for a different market. Do your homework and see what maket ticks the most boxes for your style of camping. No need to tow a Conqueror if all you need is to go to an Aventura style camp that has a bit of a dirt road driving to get there.
    Then you can customize the caravan to suit your style, no commercial van ever does suit your needs 100%. You would most probably get a fair bite of the customization back when you sell.
    Thanks henk
    I already spoke to Jacques from jaquar bush lapa is out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Just an idea to consider
    Buy an older caravan with papers and strip off the top

You will have most of the components

Most probably you will need a diffrent axel but sure if you shop around (buy n caravan with one rated for your application)

There are lots of fab shops that can cut bend ect (dependant on your budget)

Go to places that sell offroad caravans and look at the specs/features

You tube is full of inspiration for offroad mini trailer builds where they sleep inside the trailer or teardrop campers
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI