VW Golf Spitze: the Forgotten GTI - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: VW Golf Spitze: the Forgotten GTI

In my opinion seeing the 16V engines at VW dealerships that years 1990/91 about thought that VW must stay with 8V engines and leave the 16V to Toyota... i was in a Gt1 8V Jumbo Golf2 and till i sold it not a days trouble with it...Peco Performance in Pta Church street was my service dealer -that time a Porsche dealer.

That was a time when the Gti and the Toyota Twincam 16V were head to head,robot to robot that Twincam 16V Conquests and sedans imo was faster but dont forget the Honda Ballade 160i DOHC with that small bulge on the side of the bonnet fool you and the red glass part between the rear lights...
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

Quote Originally Posted by The TRANSPORTER View Post
    In my opinion seeing the 16V engines at VW dealerships that years 1990/91 about thought that VW must stay with 8V engines and leave the 16V to Toyota... i was in a Gt1 8V Jumbo Golf2 and till i sold it not a days trouble with it...Peco Performance in Pta Church street was my service dealer -that time a Porsche dealer.

That was a time when the Gti and the Toyota Twincam 16V were head to head,robot to robot that Twincam 16V Conquests and sedans imo was faster but dont forget the Honda Ballade 160i DOHC with that small bulge on the side of the bonnet fool you and the red glass part between the rear lights...
    Dont forget these beastsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	94DB903D-A292-432A-9AD7-AFFBBD91F2C5.jpeg 
Views:	147 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	568584
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The TRANSPORTER View Post

The problem with the Conquest came when you tried to stop or take a corner! We had all the various hot hatches at the factory for comparison. Always said the best car would have been the Gti with the Opel Super Boss engine.

Overall the Golf still trumped them in overall ability. The Conquest and Opel had wonderful engines but fell dangerously flat in other areas. I still remember when we took the Opel 16V out on the freeway and at 200km/h you could see clear skies between the door frame and rubber!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    The problem with the Conquest came when you tried to stop or take a corner! We had all the various hot hatches at the factory for comparison. Always said the best car would have been the Gti with the Opel Super Boss engine.

Overall the Golf still trumped them in overall ability. The Conquest and Opel had wonderful engines but fell dangerously flat in other areas. I still remember when we took the Opel 16V out on the freeway and at 200km/h you could see clear skies between the door frame and rubber!
    the only thing that handled better than the GTi was a modified Mini..........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

FWM

I traded in my Golf 2 Gti for a Golf 3 Gti with the 2.0 Digifant engine.... up to 85 kw from 82 kw of the G 2. I was SO disappointed. The Golf 3 Gti just lost something... all I wanted was my Golf 2 back... been looking ever since but you just don't find them anymore in a good condition. It is also almost impossible to get parts for the K Jetronic anymore... which means that some of the guys still running a Golf 2 Gti have put carbs on or put an aftermarket FI on.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

The Digifant FI system was absolute rubbish. The 2.0 was a nice torquey engine but it lost the zip of the 1800. Also Golf 3 was much heavier
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Glad you said that,the Golf 3 oh boy what a teleurstelling...
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

Never knew something like this existed, Golf Country

"The novelty the Country brought to the Golf line wasn't its all-wheel drive, which was already available on the Golf in the form of the Syncro system that Volkswagen developed in conjunction with Steyr-Daimler-Puch and launched on its delightfully-80s T3 vans five years earlier. It was all that other kit that Steyr-Daimler-Puch added from the comfort of its Graz, Austria factory, taking delivery after Volkswagen manufactured the base Golf in Germany.

Steyr-Daimler-Puch's heavy lifting, figuratively and literally, came around the wheels, where it added in tubular subframes to boost suspension by a full 4.7 in (12 cm), raising total ground clearance up over 7 in (17.8 cm). It was a hell of a lot of clearance for a Golf, but still left plenty of potential for grinding important mechanicals against rocks and bumps below. Underbody protection was added in to protect those vitals, while front and rear bumper bars were secured over top the body. A rear spare tire-carrier and front off-road auxiliary lights were among the other conspicuous parts of the 438-component modifications package that separated the Country from the average Golf Syncro.

Volkswagen recalls the ride of the Golf Country as velvety smooth over the inevitable bumps and ruts of non-paved road, the revised low gearing adding a bit of pep to the underpowered 97-hp 1.8-liter four-cylinder. For a little more thrill, the Wolfsburg Edition brought on an uprated 16-valve GTI-spec engine to run the show. Not surprisingly, the car's tall suspension resulted in body roll so substantial even Volkswagen can't erase it from its fond recollections 30 years later.

Volkswagen built a total of 7,735 Golf Country models in 1990 and 1991."

https://newatlas.com/automotive/vw-golf-country-4x4/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golf-country.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	577413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golf-country2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	577414
    1999 Hilux Raider 4x4 2700i, 'n groene met swart tyres
    19 Voertsheck Jeep CJ5 Built on 1984 Nissan Safari mechanics
    2011 Touareg 4.2 V8 Diesel.
    Series IIA Landy being Rebuilt (for the past 4 years)
    1963 Willys Traveller

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pietpetoors For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pietpetoors View Post
    Never knew something like this existed, Golf Country
    Yip, super rare and every now and again one pops up on BAT or VWVortex for sale (usually silly money) a couple guys on VWVortex have one. Will be a great "plat" / 4x4 car

One of my all time favourite Golf specials, and specifically Golf 2 models was the 1989 Golf G60 Limited.

With Syncro all-wheel-drive and a healthy 154kW and 252Nm for its supercharged G-Lader 1.8-litre 16-valve motor, it was a real gem.

A pity only a handful was ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    One of my all time favourite Golf specials, and specifically Golf 2 models was the 1989 Golf G60 Limited.

With Syncro all-wheel-drive and a healthy 154kW and 252Nm for its supercharged G-Lader 1.8-litre 16-valve motor, it was a real gem.

A pity only a handful was ever made.
    Wasn't the G60 SC also available in the Corrado?

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Wasn't the G60 SC also available in the Corrado?
    As far as I can remember the Corrado had the 8 valve G60 engine.
    Last edited by JS-V8; 2020/06/29 at 03:29 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2