Disco2 4.0Lt V8

Thread: Disco2 4.0Lt V8

Default Disco2 4.0Lt V8

hi there guys, I need some advise please, I am looking at buying a 2000 model Disco2 V8, all the guys that own one and the guys that had one, what do I need to look for whne taling the car for a test drice (except for a fuel station). It is a manual gearbox, with just over 200,000km on the clock, one owner.

Previously I had a 110 Defender, 3.5lt V8. I need to have a Landy in the garage

I would appreciate the replies.

Default Re: Disco2 4.0Lt V8

Quote Originally Posted by JacoCenturion View Post
    hi there guys, I need some advise please, I am looking at buying a 2000 model Disco2 V8, all the guys that own one and the guys that had one, what do I need to look for whne taling the car for a test drice (except for a fuel station). It is a manual gearbox, with just over 200,000km on the clock, one owner. Previously I had a 110 Defender, 3.5lt V8. I need to have a Landy in the garageI would appreciate the replies.
    Jaco,Scan met 'n diagnostic tool alle ecu's. Eks ook in Centurion, sal jou kan help daarmee.Kyk vir enige waarskuwing liggies wat aan bly op the instrumente paneel.Luister vir enige snaakse tiek-tiek geluide in enjin.As die Disco ACE het, kyk by voor- en agter suspensie vir lekke op die ACE silinders.Kyk na die olievlak op die pylstokkie.... kan idee gee van olie gebruik.Speel so bietjie met die toere en kyk vir rook by die uitlaatpyp.Dan moet jy maar gaan ry. Ry ook lelike grondpad en luister vir geluide vanaf die suspensie.Gaan ry ook 'n stukkie grondpad met hindernisse en toets die TC en LR.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TwinDisco For This Useful Post:

As per above, but to add, look for water leaks.

This was the bane of my existence as a Disco owner. I ended up replacing all water pipes, reservoir, water pump and fixed the radiator.

I think the day I sold it was the only time it finally did not have a water leak.

Question Re: Disco2 4.0Lt V8

How much?

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDisco View Post
    Jaco,Scan met 'n diagnostic tool alle ecu's. Eks ook in Centurion, sal jou kan help daarmee.Kyk vir enige waarskuwing liggies wat aan bly op the instrumente paneel.Luister vir enige snaakse tiek-tiek geluide in enjin.As die Disco ACE het, kyk by voor- en agter suspensie vir lekke op die ACE silinders.Kyk na die olievlak op die pylstokkie.... kan idee gee van olie gebruik.Speel so bietjie met die toere en kyk vir rook by die uitlaatpyp.Dan moet jy maar gaan ry. Ry ook lelike grondpad en luister vir geluide vanaf die suspensie.Gaan ry ook 'n stukkie grondpad met hindernisse en toets die TC en LR.
    Baie dankie vir die reply, ek sal jou hulp waardeer as jy my kan help om deur die Disco te gaan.
    Dit by gesÍ sodra die lockdown verby is...

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    As per above, but to add, look for water leaks.

This was the bane of my existence as a Disco owner. I ended up replacing all water pipes, reservoir, water pump and fixed the radiator.

I think the day I sold it was the only time it finally did not have a water leak.
    Thanks, will have a look for water leaks.

Take it for a drive on dirt and let a wheel spin. The minute a wheel loses traction the traction control should kick in. If the three amigos come on then there's trouble and it's been reset and the seller is not being honest. I nearly bought a dodgy one.
    Took it for a test drive and everything looked great. As I pulled into the petrol station where I drove from the one wheel skidded and bang, the dash looked like a Christmas tree!
    Also check for the center difflock. Not sure what models came out with cdl. If the short lever doesn't go left and right then look underneath. Feel above the gearbox snout on the front propshaft. Should be a selector pin/shaft that sticks out.

Check that all doors lock and unlock with remote. Google spurlock function. Those locks are about R1500 a door.
    Good luck
    2008 Colt 2.8 TDI Double Cab 4X2
    2001 Discovery II V8 ES; Snorkel ;2" Terrafirma lift ; Dastech Chip ;Branches ;Free Flow ;CDL Link Done

Hmm this morning I sat dreaming of this as well!

So this is going to be very informative.
    Dashfibre: Special for Lockdown May: get 20% discount on any product for 3 months, as a Forum member. Use "4x4 special" in the notes on Dashfibre.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by JacoCenturion View Post
    hi there guys, I need some advise please, I am looking at buying a 2000 model Disco2 V8, all the guys that own one and the guys that had one, what do I need to look for whne taling the car for a test drice (except for a fuel station). It is a manual gearbox, with just over 200,000km on the clock, one owner.

Previously I had a 110 Defender, 3.5lt V8. I need to have a Landy in the garage

I would appreciate the replies.
    Hi Jaco, ek het 'n 4.6 te koop, dis 'n auto met centre difflock. Laat weet maar as jy belangstel.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Quote Originally Posted by mike cullen View Post
    how much?
    r45,000

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JacoCenturion For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mufie View Post
    Hi Jaco, ek het 'n 4.6 te koop, dis 'n auto met centre difflock. Laat weet maar as jy belangstel.
    Hi Muffie, kan jy vir my meer details stuur asb, 079 725 9749, jy kan my WhatsApp op die nr

Quote Originally Posted by D Curtis View Post
    Take it for a drive on dirt and let a wheel spin. The minute a wheel loses traction the traction control should kick in. If the three amigos come on then there's trouble and it's been reset and the seller is not being honest. I nearly bought a dodgy one.
    Took it for a test drive and everything looked great. As I pulled into the petrol station where I drove from the one wheel skidded and bang, the dash looked like a Christmas tree!
    Also check for the center difflock. Not sure what models came out with cdl. If the short lever doesn't go left and right then look underneath. Feel above the gearbox snout on the front propshaft. Should be a selector pin/shaft that sticks out.

Check that all doors lock and unlock with remote. Google spurlock function. Those locks are about R1500 a door.
    Good luck
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.