Toyota Dilemma ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Toyota Dilemma ...

Not so much of a dilemma ... but after more than 30 years of Land Rover I have finally come to my senses and am embarking on my first Toyotwa!

So I want to lean on the learned opinions on you the Toyota users ...

With a budget of R800 000 (including some minor pimping, front bumper, winch, roof rack) I am considering the following:
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5 Station Wagon
    Land Cruiser 79 4.5 D/C
    FJ Cruiser 4.0

My status to date:
    I have looked at the Hilux in same price category but I want stay away from the trickery of OME's and their annual cosmetic changes that solicit you to upgrade ...

I use my 4x4 for long trips into Africa ... My Defender 130 took me (incident free) from Cape Town to Norway and back in 2017 ... but now I tour mainly in Southern Africa region. I mainly use my motorbike in and around town so I am not concerned about a massive monthly fuel bill!!

I dont do HECTIC 4x4 driving, the biggest test have been the likes of Namibian dunes and Van Zyl's Pass.

I also pull a lightweight camper trailer so any limited space concerns with the FJ Cruiser and the 76 Wagon are not an issue.

Looking forward to your suggestions ... and confusing me further!!!

Thanks

Default Re: Toyota Dilemma ...

Ross, how may people will regularly travel in the vehicle and what are their ages (specifically the ones that may have to sit in the back)?

If you donít mind second hand there are really nice 200s in that price range. You canít go wrong with any Cruiser so do your research and pick which ever you like most.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GarethHAllen For This Useful Post:

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

So I am a fulltime missionary working up in Southern Africa now for just more than 10years...the first half I drove 2 defenders...but after the last 1 gave so many problems my wife said she is so tired of worrying about me, plse buy something trustworthy...ok that was my 2c rant...

I then went the toyota route and am now in my second 76 series and won't change in a hurry...if space is not a worry to you, I would go for the 76 above the 76D/C....afore mentioned is shorter and in my opinion more maneauverable/driveable...especially in town and city.

I think, and after my experience, the 76 is the obcious alternative to a defender...

Oh, we tow an offroad caravan and the cruiser is always loaded...no issues

My 2c worth...
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2020/04/08 at 04:01 PM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trevor_Mathews For This Useful Post:

Go with where your heart is. If you lean more toward being calculated any of the 76ís and the FJ is a good option. The FJ will give you more of the the creature comforts and the 76ís closer (but better :-) ) to the Defender.

All the way to Norway and back? WOW. Where and how did you cross the Mediterranean?
    How big was your group? Howmany vehicles?
    Iíll stop there or could ask many more questions LOL
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

I'm very biased now so would go for an FJ.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I'm very biased now so would go for an FJ.
    Better than the 200, Bruce? Or compared to the other two?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Hi Ross

I think you've got a great dilemma . I would stick to the Landy but Im totally bias yet can understand the move.

Fuel consumption for an overlander when cost is of no concern becomes more about range and weight. More fuel needed means more weight for the same range thus less loading ability. Also fuel availability may be an issue if you stick to Toyotas "4.5 litre V8 requires premium Diesel fuel (50 ppm or below)" but lets ignore that for this comparison.

So lets start with weight:

LC 76:
    GVM-3060kg Tare-2320kg Thus Payload = 740kg
    Tow rating= 3500kg

LC79:
    GVM-3300kg Tare-2370kg Thus payload = 930kg
    Tow rating = 3500kg

FJ:
    GVM-2510kg Tare-2060kg Thus payload = 450kg
    Tow rating = 1500kg

LR 130:
    GVM-3380kg Tare-2153kg Thus payload = 1220kg
    Tow rating =3500kg

From what Ive read and heard from people the FJ and LC 79/76 use about the same amount of fuel stock put petrol tends to get heavier easily when lots of weight and bigger tyres are added.

You can buy a brand spanking new FJ for under R700k. Take R100k to improve its load carrying ability and kit it out extensively.

My votes the FJ for the following reasons:
    -You tow a light trailer
    -Fuel consumption is a non factor
    -You can buy it new with warranty AND service plan
    -Its faster and way better in the dunes
    -It is a lot more comfortable
    -No need for extra fuel filters when heading to deep dark Africa
    -Its better off-road than the 79/76
    -Coil suspension (personal preference but a + in my book)

Good luck in your search!

Cruisers are great and will be more reliable than a Defender albeit using more fuel, not as good looking, more expensive to buy, more expensive to kit, less payload and uneven wheel tracks.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    The 200 is great make no mistake BUT it is overpriced for what you get today. I was always worried about damaging it, was worried about every scratch and mark made, every dirt road pained me.

The FJ does not have all the bells and whistles but drives well, roadholding very good, offroad excellent, a painless vehicle to own.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

If you were a defender 130 man then I would suggest a 79 V8 d/c. Then you still have some packing space and good stability for towing.
    For that budget you can get a low km model (with probably some extras fitted already) and have change for the other stuff you might need.

Such a pity the 130 is off the market. That to me is still a awesome overlander.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    With R800k you can pick up a pretty nice 200 VX

By the sounds from your requirements it should be your first choice

I am not a Toyota fan but I would go for a 76. I looked at the FJ and it is a fun and strong vehicle. Still I would replace a Defender or a G Professional by a 76.

I would also go drive them all and see what suits you the best. You may hate them all....

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I would also go drive them all and see what suits you the best. You may hate them all....
    That is good advice right there
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor_Mathews For This Useful Post:

Haha ... good questions. It was just my wife and I and a roof top tent ...

We drove the East coast via Nam Bots Zam Malawi Tanzania Burundi Ruwanda Uganda Kenya back into Tanzania ... back to Kenya then Ethiopia Sudan Egypt. We shipped across the med to Naples ... then Italy Switzerland Austria Czech Rep Germany Sweden Norway then through Germany Netherlands UK Eng Sco Ire Wal ... south to France Spain Portugal ... morocco senegal where we chickened out in Dakar and shipped to Luanda ... then ran home through Angola Nam ,,, 38 000km in 14 months ....
    I will do it again - but leave out Europe!!! :-)
    Ross

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ross McLean Calder For This Useful Post:

For your needs I would go for the FJ.

For the money the FJ is a bargain imo, and you can get some decent discount from dealers off list price.
    For your budget a new FJ would be well kitted with some cash left over. Very capable and reliable yet not a chore to live with.

I would also look into a 200, but rather the GX. Although these are scarce and rather expensive still and would not leave much left over for kit.

For R800k you can rebuild the 130 from scratch and have enough left for a world tour. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    With R800k you can pick up a pretty nice 200 VX

By the sounds from your requirements it should be your first choice
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Think the FJ`s are super and maybe I will buy one for Swambo. But as said take an 76 V8 for a drive. I am no 4x4 boffin but have taken the 76 V8 on some serious trips. Not the most powerful but there is no 4x4 engine out there that is better suited for 4x4 work than the V8 diesel Cruiser. Not including any soft roaders and SUV`s.

I have seen it in the past the moment they stop a 4x4 range spare parts availability becomes a problem. The Defender might be ok for now but lets come back to this 5 years from now.

Then as stock standard 4x4 nothing matches the V8 Cruiser engine, no diesel engine Land Rover or Patrol have ever had in any of their 4x4`s.

Just buy a v8 76 and you will never regret.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    If you were a defender 130 man then I would suggest a 79 V8 d/c. Then you still have some packing space and good stability for towing.
    For that budget you can get a low km model (with probably some extras fitted already) and have change for the other stuff you might need.

Such a pity the 130 is off the market. That to me is still a awesome overlander.

I still have the 2015 130 ... It has just hit 100 000km so I thought I would put it into retirement ...

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    For R800k you can rebuild the 130 from scratch and have enough left for a world tour. Just saying.

if I could drop in a V8 or V6 into it I would do it in a flash ... I am tired of gearing down on the rises :-) ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast