Trickle charge via cigarette lighter plug? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Trickle charge via cigarette lighter plug?

I never expected the thread to invite so much discussion.

The question was:

CAN I do it?

not

IS IT THE BEST WAY to do it?

From the thread it seems as if it CAN be done, but is probably not the best way.

Thanks for your input.

PS I believe Fluffy and Family_Dog wnen it comes to this type of stuff.
    Last edited by 4eTouareg; 2020/04/11 at 03:18 PM.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

What I have done before is to fit a Brad Harrison in the grill, connected to the battery.
    Then have a trickle charger that stays on the mains and connects to the front of the grill.
    So when ouma or oupa forgets to unplug, it just pulls out naturally.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    But that risk would then be present in normal daily use of the vehicle as well, and would not be increased as a result of charging
    You have two choices.
    Connect charger directly to the battery. No risk.
    Connect charger at 12v plug.If there is a bad connection on the plug wiring, then there is a possibility that the charger cant supply the correct voltage to the battery. That is the risk you are taking.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Well hello.

I am going to swim a bit upstream here.

It's an excellent idea. Not the optimum or best, but still excellent. Attaching directly to the battery has its own problems. Incorrect attachment, leaving the bonnet open etc. Closing the bonnet is just asking SWAMBO to get into the car and driving off with the charger attached.

Plugging into a socket is something most SWAMBO's and kids can easily do - you dont have to teach them to open the bonnet and attach Red clip to + .......

Nearly all Smart chargers are way below the current capability of the 12V socket wiring.

Note I said 12V socket and not cigarette socket. Because that is what they are. I havent seen a cigarette lighter and socket in maybe 20 years. Its no mistake or co-incidence they now mark the sockets as 12V, because that is what it is, a 12V attachment port.

So, noting F_D's comment about short term use, I disagree somewhat. The original cig sockets were designed for a short burst of high current but your modern socket is designed to drive a permanent load of the rated current. Typically 10-15A, and the wires don't know which way the current is going.

The main drawback is that a cheap plug/socket can be unreliable and come loose. Simple, don't use a cheap plug. And it is not like a plugged in fridge that is used while driving, once you close the door and go to bed, nobody is going to bump it.

-----------------
    So - go for - it's simple, safe, cheap, easy for anybody to use, and efficient.
    Agree fully , only problem that bothers me , you would most probably need to leave the charger in the car which might become a fire hazard . Seen this before ( big hole burned in carpet )
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    I did not realise they were trainable.
    Haha neither did I
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Agree fully , only problem that bothers me , you would most probably need to leave the charger in the car which might become a fire hazard . Seen this before ( big hole burned in carpet )
    Not much difference between under the bonnet and in the footwell.

Probably a hundred electrical goodies alive in your car that can catch fire. All those computers that don’t switch off but go to sleep.

Check out popular brands offers such as Asda Offers, CVS Weekly Ad, Shoprite Specials, Tesco Offers and Albertsons Weekly Ad.
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/06/04 at 08:42 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    It is not all about the plug. You can have a bad connection in the wiring between the plug and its supply. A corroded fuse terminal, loose connector etc etc. The risk is just so much higher to charge through a plug as compared to a direct coupling. That is why they give you another loom with lugs to connect to the battery and you can attach the connector plug from the charger to it at a convenient place.
    Well then donít drive a car at all. There are dozens of fuses and hundreds/thousands of connections and wires, each one just as likely and susceptible to failure.

About those lugs, 9 times out of ten, there arenít any on the battery terminal, or they are the wrong size, or they are already full.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

So the answer is clear as OP said. It can be done. I just prefer the Hella plug and socket for a far better connection. No higher risk charging this way than actually using the lighter. As Prof indicated. If it is good enough for Victron then perhaps not a bad idea although a number of us disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Simple question.

Can I attach a (smart) trickle charger to a cigarette lighter socket?
    The socket is "always on".

yes you can, I have a small solar panel connected to a cigarette lighter to do just this, however in some cars the always on cigarette lighter is not direct to battery it goes through a regulator to only provide 12,5 volts at the cigarette plug, even if battery voltage is higher, say when the engine is runnig, so first check if the cigarette lighter is indeed "unfiltered" if it is then for a trickle charge you fine

No problems at all. Just monitor your start and final charge rate with a multimeter.

If your voltage exceeds 14.9v or 15.0v it will log an over voltage condition, so just inform your service guy in case it does go over.

Only issue is the dust that comes through the window or sunroof.

Not sure about a car but for literally years; maybe more than 10 I have charged dirt bikes through the accessory Hella socket with the trusty Optimate charger. No troubles yet

As the OP said, lots of comments and very strong opinions as well! :-)

It is definitely possible.

I would first try direct, but I know my sister happily does this with her boxster where the battery is not that accessible (I think) and as she doesn't drive it often the battery goes flat. And I think a BH plug on the bumper might look funny

I just went crazy and got a Victron IP65 that keeps the additional battery in the back charged and topped up.
    Once we get home connect the 220 to the vehicle to run the fridge and top up die additional battery.
    Then press the button on the NL solenoid to connect the two batteries together, the timer runs for 3 minutes and disconnects.
    Once a month press the button and batteries stay fine.
    Normally the Ranger runs once a month when we go camping
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Simple question.

Can I attach a (smart) trickle charger to a cigarette lighter socket?
    The socket is "always on".
    As long as the chargers max charge rate is below that of the rated fuse for the socket then why not....?
    It will NOT damage any electronics. If you plug a compressor into the socket and draw 8amps, why can you not push 3 to 8amps back to the battery?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3