Living with a 3.5 Triton

Default Living with a 3.5 Triton

Good monring gents, as per my other thead searching for a 2nd vehicle under 350k I am still searching, taking it slow and kind 0f narrowing it down.

I have found a very good looking 3.5 Trtion DC 4x4. 2009 model with around 180 000km on the clock, vehicle from photos looks great, and have also made contact with previous owners, all in order.

Asking price is R180K, which might be a bit high, the vehicle is loaded with accessories which kind of explains the asking price.

The question, what is it like with the 3.5 motor on a daily basis, I have a 3.2 Triton which is my bakkie for trips, farming and hunting. The 3.5 will be for my wife and baba, works from home so not to much travelling.

I looked at the following guessed figures:
    Fuel Consumption: average 6km/L
    Yearly kilomteres travel: 25 000km
    Fuel price: R15.84
    Yearly fuel cost:
    25 000km / 6km per Litre = 4166L per year
    4166L x R15.71 = R65 458.00 per year

A used Hilux 2.8 4x4 DC with 80 000km costs around R380 000.00, so according to the math after about 3 years you will then have reached the same price for the Hilux if you brought the petrol triton at R180k, thats if you purchased the Hilux cash. Also I have excluded servicing costs etc

Gents whats the opinion on above?

Default Re: Living with a 3.5 Triton

Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post

A used Hilux 2.8 4x4 DC with 80 000km costs around R380 000.00, so according to the math after about 3 years you will then have reached the same price for the Hilux if you brought the petrol triton at R180k, thats if you purchased the Hilux cash. Also I have excluded servicing costs etc
    have you included fuel costs in the ownership of the Hilux?

second comment: I'd rather own a petrol vehicle for short daily trips...........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    have you included fuel costs in the ownership of the Hilux?

second comment: I'd rather own a petrol vehicle for short daily trips...........
    Hi Jelo, no I havent, above calculation purely to see if buying a V6 warrant s the initial financial lay-out, but thank you, good point.

Also you mention, rather petrol for short daily trips?

Hi Jelo, no I havent, above calculation purely to see if buying a V6 warrant s the initial financial lay-out, but thank you, good point.

Also you mention, rather petrol for short daily trips?
    First point: if you add diesel fuel costs (and the 2.8 isn't very light on diesel in town) your break-even will be closer to 5 years I suspect.

Second point: diesel engines need to get up to operating temps otherwise they often experience premature wear and you'll need to service more often.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Let your wife decide...the smile on her face when that 3.5 starts roaring should be your cue

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Botha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Botha View Post
    Let your wife decide...the smile on her face when that 3.5 starts roaring should be your cue
    good point: my wife prefers petrol to diesel every day and twice as much on weekends..........and she pays for her own fuel
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Also, which engine would you guys prefer for the longhaul? lets say adding another 150K km ontop of what it aleady has?
    Our holidays are mainly Nam etc, but also foresee driving to Kenia in the near future.

Feeling that my 3.2 is up to the task, but at 220K km should i be taking it to Mount Kenia?

Also, which engine would you guys prefer for the longhaul? lets say adding another 150K km ontop of what it aleady has?
    Our holidays are mainly Nam etc, but also foresee driving to Kenia in the near future.

Feeling that my 3.2 is up to the task, but at 220K km should i be taking it to Mount Kenia?
    depends on how its been treated since Day 1............220,000kms of mommy taxi then it will probably break in Malawi
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

depends on how its been treated since Day 1............220,000kms of mommy taxi then it will probably break in Malawi
    It has worked hard, but I have taken very good care of it, hence I wont sell it.

It has worked hard, but I have taken very good care of it, hence I wont sell it.

kenya is a 10,000km round trip including detours? why would you think it won't make the trip? that's like saying you're unsure it will make it to the next service.......
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

kenya is a 10,000km round trip including detours? why would you think it won't make the trip? that's like saying you're unsure it will make it to the next service.......
    Dont know really, I have never travelled that far up by road.

By all accounts the 3.2 DID is a reliable motor, but the 3.5 is probably even better. We had one in a slightly different version of the 3.5 in a 1996 Pajero when I grew up, it was sold at 270k with not a days hassle. Made a wonderful noise at full tilt towing our camper through sand in the bush. But it also has a few quirks that can hurt it, but if you service with someone who knows them you should be fine. At 180k has it had the cambelt changed? That's an expensive service on the v6!

I'm not sure you will want to travel long distances with the v6 heavily loaded though, that fuel bill will not be pleasant. I know the 3.2 can also be heavy if you drive it hard but I get between 10-12L/100km at 100kph on the open road fully loaded and a lot on the roof (roof-rack, snorkel, 4x jerry cans and rooftop tent) in my Gen 4 with over 250k on the clock now. The torque is also really nice for long stretches of thick sand as it means the motor doesn't work too hard. I think you are looking in the correct place though. If you don't have to stretch the budget then don't. There are plenty of 3.2 Triton's in that price range and mileage. If they have been well looked after I would not hesitate taking them from Cape to Cairo if need be. My dad's 3.2 (Gen 3) is on around 390k (from new) and he will jump in it tomorrow if I said lets go to Kenya, and he'll tow an Oryx the whole way. It will probably give in one day, but we will deal with that when the day comes.

I like the hilux, and for what you are looking at spending on the hilux you are getting a much newer vehicle. There aren't many high mileage ones out there yet but nothing indicates they wont go to 300k easily. It will be the simpler and easier vehicle to own given dealer back-up and countrywide knowledge.

Hopefully this makes some sense.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/04/06 at 02:20 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post: