Lawnmowers & Weed-eaters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Lawnmowers & Weed-eaters

Hi Guys,

As I'm going to go the solar route in the near future, I'd like to move away from the electric powered lawnmowers & weed eaters and go petrol. Please give me some pointers as to which makes & models I should look at, where I should look.

Looking for something that I'll be-able to find spares for in 10, 15, 20 years.

I currently own a Stihl chainsaw, so I was thinking of getting a Stihl weed-eater. Not sure how good they are. If looking at the chainsaws, they should be good.

Now I have a fairly large suburban property (1500 squares), but by no means a massive plot that needs a lot of mowing etc.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Default Re: Lawnmowers & Weed-eaters

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Hi Guys,

As I'm going to go the solar route in the near future, I'd like to move away from the electric powered lawnmowers & weed eaters and go petrol. Please give me some pointers as to which makes & models I should look at, where I should look.

I currently own a Stihl chainsaw, so I was thinking of getting a Stihl weed-eater. Not sure how good they are. If looking at the chainsaws, they should be good.

Now I have a fairly large suburban property (1500 squares), but by no means a massive plot that needs a lot of mowing etc.
    I'd go cordless if I were you. Stihl makes a good range. Freedom of Petrol with the low maintenance of electric.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Stay with Stihl for trimmers and chainsaws, they're good.
    Lawn mowers: anything with a Briggs & Stratton engine is fine.

Both brands have been around for decades for a reason.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

You will find everything you need form these guys, they stock Stihl and Professional lawn mowers.

I've had my Professional Hi-Vac for ages now, minimal cost to replace blades and tough as nails.

https://loxtonssa.co.za/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

Hi Guys,
    I'd like to move away from the electric powered lawnmowers & weed eaters and go petrol.

Why if I may ask? Why not rather spend that money on two more solar panels and keep using electric.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

My Tandem lawnmower going strong. I have the green one, 190cc Briggs and stratton engine. I have it for 8 years now. only replaced blades. Nothing else, not even wheels or wheel bearings. Still good. I would go Tandem if I were you.

Cheap weedeater. I also have a Tandem here, with a Honda Motor, 4stroke. very good. But yes, Stihl has good ones as mentioned above.

Enjoy

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Why if I may ask? Why not rather spend that money on two more solar panels and keep using electric.

Suppose more the convenience of it. Always been a bit a pain when using the current setups beyond my perimeter. Yes, perhaps add more panels. My main reason for not wanting to go this route is well, Saturdays are my busy days WRT everything garden. When I'm in the country (half the year) not that much of an issue as I pay more attention. By this I mean, if we have a dishwasher, washing machine, swimming pool pump, and a few other odds and ends, then adding a 3000watt lawn mower to the mix does then increase the total power needed quite a bit.

Like I said, if I'm around, and doing these things by myself, not a problem, but not necessary easy for SWAMBO to manage that. Your Makita idea does have merit, as I'm already an owner of many Makita tools, batteries, and chargers, thus "spreading" the power needed, and not focusing all at the same time. Will go read up a bit more on Makita's gardening tools.

Chris
    HYADES

Hi Guys,

You will not go wrong with Stihl.
    Best possible choice in petrol trimmer.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick L For This Useful Post:

Stihl. Have used my still weed eater for 10 years then it got liberated. now on 5 years with this one and serviced it once, due for service now again. I also have a Stihl chainsaw and leaf blower. It can sit for 6 months and start on the 3rd pull.

Lawnmowers, go professional. i have 2x professional cylinder mowers with Robin engines. Both are 30 years old and they run like a dream. I have only serviced oil, plugs, grease and cables. Not a single breakdown in their lifetime. They were bought new by my dad and granddad. Expensive, but you only buy once.

I also have a "breek en staan" Briggs and Stratton for site use. Not comparable.
    Last edited by LandyLove; 2020/04/07 at 03:13 PM.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Agree :Stihl are great have had a chainsaw and a leaf blower for several years no issues.Most of the garden services around here use their products .Spares are not a problem.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GollyJeep For This Useful Post:

I use a Tandem weed eater. Third the price. Yeah, not as polished as a Stihl, but hell it works.

4.5km of trimming round trees, 8 days, 8 hours/d. I keep filter clean and mix petrol myself. Use Stihl 2SO
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Lawnmowers & Weed-eaters

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I'd go cordless if I were you. Stihl makes a good range. Freedom of Petrol with the low maintenance of electric.
    Sure but the high cost of replacing batteries and high price to purchase , we are still a 3rd world so for a relatively small area get a manual lawnmover will give you some PT as you are still young , will save you monies on gym fees etc
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2020/04/07 at 04:09 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 12richardk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I use a Tandem weed eater. Use Stihl 2SO

Why, does it have a turbo diesel engine?

I'm going to go hide now

Chris
    HYADES

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

The complex I run use Stihl and servicing is very very high.
    Last edited by Robbief; 2020/04/07 at 06:12 PM.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

I have a garden service and for me the best value for money is Tandem. Weed eater is about R2500-3000. They can also take a blade cutter, if you have tough weeds/grass. Lawnmower with a aluminum body is about R6000. I have a Tandem lawnmower that are on its 3rd set of wheels. Wore the rubber out. The motors brand are Torn, copy of Honda. Also with the money you save by not buying Stihl get yourself a blower as well (R2000) really handy. Stihl is good but over priced in my opinion.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emileheyns For This Useful Post:

I don't think Stihl is overpriced. Toyota is overpriced.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

The torx motors are excellent and reasonable to maintain, I was just advised to stick to the bigger one the 200, and not the 140/160, 2 years old, starts first pull, and doesn’t miss a beat
    Have mine on a tandem ratel body.
    Toyota
    2019 Toyota 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Raider DC Auto

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Iggi For This Useful Post:

I have been looking for a replacement 2 stroke engine for my mower. Runs on a tandem base.

Can't find one anywhere, according to my local lawnmower shop, they don't make them anymore.

Anyone know where I could get one?

I bought my Stihl FS36 weed-eater in 1996. I replaced a few sparkplugs and a primer bulb about two years ago.
    Victa Comander lawnmower I bought in 1998. Only sparkplugs, a set of blades and a new o-ring in the fuel cut off tap.
    End of last year I thought I must start looking at a new weed-eater prices. Stihl FS38 = R1800 , Tandem =R2200.

Only I work with them, and I run the carburettors dry before storage.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

35. The Following User Says Thank You to wiel For This Useful Post:

Do not buy the entry level... Rather spend a bit more. I found it easier to get spares for the professional ranges than entry level...
    I have a entry level Stihl weed eater and had endless issues with it as the diaphrams for the carb was only made for that specific model. Speak to a lawnmower repair shop to find out details as such.
    Best is to try and get one without the diaphrams in the carb (my opinion).

I also have a professional lawnmower with Briggs & Stratton motor, Best buy I've ever made, starts on third pull 10 years later. I did not buy the entry level here, rather more towards the top end, it seems to pay off in the long run as I only serviced carb once in history. Oil changes every start of summer.

Just take note on how you store the petrol equipment, and you should not use petrol older than 3 months. Mix 2 stroke fresh, as it has a shelf life.

My next buy would definitely be cordless electric.
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiles For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast