Another pizza oven - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    30
    Posts
    518
    Thanked: 668

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    I got small and compact, OLD oil welder at home, but never learned how to weld. Need a helmet and rods and all that. Think that's my next thing to learn at home.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pierre van Ryneveld
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I got small and compact, OLD oil welder at home, but never learned how to weld. Need a helmet and rods and all that. Think that's my next thing to learn at home.
    A lot of us learned to weld on old oil welders. The helmet is really one thing I can emphasize. No need to struggle with old type, and flash your eyes unnecessary.

    I also put my rods in the sun for a few minutes before I weld. Not sure if it works or if it is just an old mane tale.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,310
    Thanked: 3069

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post

    I also put my rods in the sun for a few minutes before I weld. Not sure if it works or if it is just an old mane tale.
    I guess you got the suggestion from someone along the way in your life. It most probably stems from the fact that welding rods should be as dry as possible for obvious conductivity reasons. When I worked in the oil and gas industry where the welding had to be 100%, the welders had an oven on site to dry out the slightest bit of moisture from the rods. All welding rods spent time in the oven before use.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  5. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    36,989
    Thanked: 12783

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    A lot of us learned to weld on old oil welders. The helmet is really one thing I can emphasize. No need to struggle with old type, and flash your eyes unnecessary.

    I also put my rods in the sun for a few minutes before I weld. Not sure if it works or if it is just an old mane tale.
    also learned on a 60kg oil bath welder

    auto helmet is MANDATORY

    and you can put the rods in the oven
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  6. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,640
    Thanked: 8592

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    Awesome project
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

    FJ: One day when I am big

    Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  8. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Kidd's Beach
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 43

    Default Finally seems to have got it right

    Thanks for all the help everybody. My wife finally seems to have got the 100 percent rye right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khakibush For This Useful Post:


  10. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    501
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    I have made pizza on the campfire as well as the Weber a couple of times, the results can be great but it is a struggle to get/maintain enough heat on the top without burning the base.

    I think you might have the same problem with your design. I would like to see how a pizza turns out, hopefully you will nail it
    Last edited by Hanny; 2020/04/13 at 08:35 AM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hanny For This Useful Post:


  12. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    37
    Posts
    786
    Thanked: 526

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    I have made pizza on the campfire as well as the Weber a couple of times, the results can be great but it is a struggle to get/maintain enough heat on the top without burning the base.
    I blind bake the base a bit first. Doing one side to 80%, and the other to 40%. Then I take it off and put toppings on the 80% side, put it back on the fire with the 40% side down. Cover with weber lid over low heat by the time the 40% side is done, the top is also done and cheese melted.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 1005

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I guess you got the suggestion from someone along the way in your life. It most probably stems from the fact that welding rods should be as dry as possible for obvious conductivity reasons. When I worked in the oil and gas industry where the welding had to be 100%, the welders had an oven on site to dry out the slightest bit of moisture from the rods. All welding rods spent time in the oven before use.
    When I worked on the modular base and accomodation frame (moss gas rig) the welders ,all coloured welders had rod holders that were called hot boxes strapped to their bodies. They had Canadian engineers doing inspection and said they were probably the best welders they have ever seen.
    Makes you think what happened to these guys on the eskom projects. I heard alot of these welders went to Canada.
    I was in awe .Welding huge 40mm thick plates upside down.All seemed to just use stick welders,no mig.Everything was x rayed.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:


  16. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North West
    Age
    52
    Posts
    379
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    That pizza oven would be nice to be converted further to a gravity feed system for smoking and braaing and and and ...

    Regarding welding, when you can weld you CAN weld. I am however part of the BBB association (ie Bird Butt Brigade because I am a very competent and accomplished bird Shyte applicator).
    Last edited by Harry OpieTremspoor; 2020/04/13 at 12:35 PM.


    Bossies toe!!!

    Work : Toyota LC HZJ76
    Home : Trailblazer 2.8 4X4 LTZ
    SWAMBO: Toyota Avanza - Gone
    Conqueror Commander

    Google know too much.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Harry OpieTremspoor For This Useful Post:


  18. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    84
    Thanked: 98

    Default Re: Another pizza oven

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    I have made pizza on the campfire as well as the Weber a couple of times, the results can be great but it is a struggle to get/maintain enough heat on the top without burning the base.

    I think you might have the same problem with your design. I would like to see how a pizza turns out, hopefully you will nail it
    The first batch of pizzas was made in a pan as we were ansure about the surface of the baking tray that I had used as it was standing in the elements for quite some time. The 5 pizzas that we made came out very well.
    The next moring I cleaned the tray properly and made some focaccia straight on the base and also didn't have any issuesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200407-WA0011.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	567047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200408_133339.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	567052
    2009 Ford Ranger 3.0TDCI


    Raleigh RM9 (Tank)
    Raleigh Chopper MK2 (Restoration porject)
    Giant TCR2 Elite (Silver Train)
    Trek 810 Single speed (Frank)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •