Tracks for Africa





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    60
    Posts
    601
    Thanked: 829

    Default Tracks for Africa

    Morning everyone.... some opinions please.... is the app worth subscribing to.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    No. I assume you refer to the app for a cellphone.

    The app is nothing like the software on the Garnin device itself. You need to purchase both versions of the app to get similar functionality. It is very irritating not being able to zoom in by means of the Guide without all the customary detail.

    T4A's response is that you need to buy both the Guide and Navigation App. I have purchased the Guide App and only use for an overall view but the lack of detail makes it superfluous.

    I really, really want to use T4A on my cell but don't see the need to buy the Navigation App (when Google Maps is just as good and I can also download offline for 30 days) simply to provide the same details that T4A provides on a GPS device.

    Christian Faure

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandlover70 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Paarl
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 61

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandlover70 View Post
    No. I assume you refer to the app for a cellphone.

    .

    I really, really want to use T4A on my cell but don't see the need to buy the Navigation App (when Google Maps is just as good and I can also download offline for 30 days) simply to provide the same details that T4A provides on a GPS device.

    Christian Faure
    Beg to differ. T4A shows a lot more then google maps. Have you been to the bush where T4A shows you "roads" that do not even exist on google maps. ??

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Age
    76
    Posts
    9,277
    Thanked: 1068

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    T4A for the Garmin GPS shows a lot more detail than Google including minor roads.

    All depends where you are driving. If you are going off road in the far northern bush looking for desert ellies in river beds then T4A would be fairly essential.

    If you are undertaking the usual mild 4x4 trips like me then Google is fine but T4A as I said often has minor gravel roads which are absent on Google. I found T4A very useful in the N. Cape recently. I have been lost on occasions and T4A was excellent. Again I am referring to the GPS maps. I would avoid apps and guides.

    I am a big fan of T4A paper maps as an aid to whatever system you are using. It is so good to have the big picture and not just a small GPS screen. I have their Namibia and Botswana and SA paper maps. Essential for trip planning providing distances and travel times.

    Incidentally I think T4A still have a special running on all their products during the lockdown period.

    ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    T4A for the Garmin GPS shows a lot more detail than Google including minor roads.

    All depends where you are driving. If you are going off road in the far northern bush looking for desert ellies in river beds then T4A would be fairly essential.

    If you are undertaking the usual mild 4x4 trips like me then Google is fine but T4A as I said often has minor gravel roads which are absent on Google. I found T4A very useful in the N. Cape recently. I have been lost on occasions and T4A was excellent. Again I am referring to the GPS maps. I would avoid apps and guides.

    I am a big fan of T4A paper maps as an aid to whatever system you are using. It is so good to have the big picture and not just a small GPS screen. I have their Namibia and Botswana and SA paper maps. Essential for trip planning providing distances and travel times.

    Incidentally I think T4A still have a special running on all their products during the lockdown period.
    I think the OP is referring to the phone app, not the GPS/Garmin package...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to d7e7r7 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    60
    Posts
    601
    Thanked: 829

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    I think the OP is referring to the phone app, not the GPS/Garmin package...
    Correct, my reference is to the practicality of the apps.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria, Hartbeesfontein
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,392
    Thanked: 756

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus and Zelda View Post
    Correct, my reference is to the practicality of the apps.
    You will struggle to use the app in areas where there is no reception I assume. The best is still T4A on the GPS. I still have a 2011 version on my nuvi500 and it works a treat.
    Robert

    '98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Age
    76
    Posts
    9,277
    Thanked: 1068

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    As I said earlier "avoid apps and guides".
    I am also still using the 2011 GPS version.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2020/04/07 at 08:08 AM.

    ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,145
    Thanked: 1051

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    You will struggle to use the app in areas where there is no reception I assume.
    This is not true. Most cellphones and ipads have a separate GPS chip that doesn't require cell signal. Regarding T4A, before buying it, maybe check out apps like Maps.me, OSMAnd and Sygic. They allow you to download all the maps before you head into the unknown. Should you want to, you can then compare the maps from the App and T4A for the area you are intending to travel to and make a decision based on that.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    You will struggle to use the app in areas where there is no reception I assume. The best is still T4A on the GPS. I still have a 2011 version on my nuvi500 and it works a treat.
    You can download offline maps.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Reebok
    Age
    67
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    [QUOTE=Tweeling;4363862]You will struggle to use the app in areas where there is no reception I assume.

    You do not use the cell phone reception. You use the GPS on the phone.
    Christo Sauerman
    Hilux DC 1991
    2.2 petrol
    4x4

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,122
    Thanked: 3507

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Google loads maps as required. Area covered is not that great. I think they have improved it over the years. I do use Google sometimes - to find a service in town. When travelling I have high end Garmin, same map on computer but as a back up and out of Southern Africa Here maps. We load them at home for those countries we go - all devices. In ZA Garmin is using Here data. Actually bigger problem than not having roads on the maps is that there are too many. Nearly all farm roads are there BUT not locked gates.

    I have T4A on Garmin but never use it.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,466
    Thanked: 13640

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by reebok View Post

    You do not use the cell phone reception. You use the GPS on the phone.
    not too sure of that: yes, the app uses the GPS receiver on the phone, but the maps are made up of "tiles" or quadrants and it needs to download the next quadrant. So in this case you would indeed need to have an app that can download the entire map set of tiles. I predict the entire Botswana set for example would be quite a large set of files..........

    I'd rather have T4A on a dedicated GPS. Switching between apps on a mobile phone can be problematic when driving. And at the price of a base Nuvi and the Lock Down special on T4A, it's a no brainer compared to the cost of buying an Android or iPhone with a big enough screen and then needing to add SD cards, cradles, etc.

    Lastly: most mobile phone simply shut down when exposed to dashboard temps.

    Use a tool that is appropriate for the job, you don't use a Leatherman to construct a car.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Reebok
    Age
    67
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 6

    Unhappy Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    not too sure of that: yes, the app uses the GPS receiver on the phone, but the maps are made up of "tiles" or quadrants and it needs to download the next quadrant. So in this case you would indeed need to have an app that can download the entire map set of tiles. I predict the entire Botswana set for example would be quite a large set of files..........

    I'd rather have T4A on a dedicated GPS. Switching between apps on a mobile phone can be problematic when driving. And at the price of a base Nuvi and the Lock Down special on T4A, it's a no brainer compared to the cost of buying an Android or iPhone with a big enough screen and then needing to add SD cards, cradles, etc.

    Lastly: most mobile phone simply shut down when exposed to dashboard temps.

    Use a tool that is appropriate for the job, you don't use a Leatherman to construct a car.
    Used Garmin and Phone(Android T4A app) - no extra downloading - to compare during a 25 day trip in Namibia (2015). Van Zyl's , Khaudom, etc. Not an issue. Just use common sense when it gets to heat and dust.
    But yes, in the bondoes I use my leatherman to fix the 4 x 4.
    Christo Sauerman
    Hilux DC 1991
    2.2 petrol
    4x4

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,145
    Thanked: 1051

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    not too sure of that: yes, the app uses the GPS receiver on the phone, but the maps are made up of "tiles" or quadrants and it needs to download the next quadrant. So in this case you would indeed need to have an app that can download the entire map set of tiles. I predict the entire Botswana set for example would be quite a large set of files..........

    I'd rather have T4A on a dedicated GPS. Switching between apps on a mobile phone can be problematic when driving. And at the price of a base Nuvi and the Lock Down special on T4A, it's a no brainer compared to the cost of buying an Android or iPhone with a big enough screen and then needing to add SD cards, cradles, etc.

    Lastly: most mobile phone simply shut down when exposed to dashboard temps.

    Use a tool that is appropriate for the job, you don't use a Leatherman to construct a car.
    I agree with most of what you said but will just add the following:

    The map sizes are not an issue on modern phones or tablets. The whole of SA map is between 100MB and 200MB depending on which app you use.

    I bought a Garmin Montana in about 2012 and within a very short period of time it was basically outdated as a device. The UI was rubbish, but it was tough and could stand in the sun all day. But, it also cost as much as a mid-range cellphone at the time, and couldn't do anything else. And T4A wants to update every two years for a lot of money. The Apps are free, and updates are free.

    Whereas on my iPad Mini, I have all my bird and tree apps, and several different GPS apps for redundancy. I also have 40GBs of music. So it's one device that does it all. Now there might some issues with a single point of failure with the one device, but that also applies to a GPS. And I can do everything I do on the iPad, on my iPhone.

    The only real drawback is the heat on the dash, but even there, it is more the direct sunlight that causes the issues - so any sort of sun shield makes a massive difference. I often just put a hat over the device to give it some protection.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    60
    Posts
    990
    Thanked: 116

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    leatherman , there is a app for it on your cell ,it's called call a mechanic.

    i allways got the t4a paper maps in the bakkie ,but i see garman is the best option ,if i knew that before hand before i got my tom tom.

    my cellphone dropped me a couple of times but those maps saved me a lot, but good advice given here ,thanks .

    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Reebok
    Age
    67
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    To answer the question that the OP posted. Yes it is worth it but.......

    Cell Phone (Android) - load the T4A Navigation app/maps - not the T4A guide. Please make sure you know how to use it. It may take you down a 2 track path. So make sure of the correct settings for your specific needs. I have read many times people complaining that the TOA is way out. You have to give your average speed for different road conditions before you leave otherwise it use the settings it came out with.
    No extra maps to download.
    If you are using an old phone without gps - forget about it and use the Garmin.

    Garmin GPS. The T4A map that load on the GPS is basically the same as above and see above.

    Yes the Garmin is more robust (I hope so!!!!) than the cell phone.

    I find that my cell phone with the free apps are more than enough for the average outing, but anything more than that, the trusty Garmin goes along.

    I try to learn from my errors and then try to avoid the same mistakes. Amazing memories lies ahead after the virus.

    Yes also carry the paper map as backup.
    Christo Sauerman
    Hilux DC 1991
    2.2 petrol
    4x4

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    60
    Posts
    601
    Thanked: 829

    Default Tracks for Africa

    We are pretty much in the same position as Johan as all our travel apps , magazines etc as well as almost 200 gigs of music is on an iPad Air. There will be no problems with heat as we have found a local supplier that has a mount that utilizes the passenger seat mounting, so the device will be out of harms way.
    Last edited by Markus and Zelda; 2020/04/07 at 03:19 PM.

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    28
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    While on the topic, as I also looked at T4A for my phn but never could get the answer.
    Does it work with Android Auto?

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Paarl
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 61

    Default Re: Tracks for Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreV View Post
    While on the topic, as I also looked at T4A for my phn but never could get the answer.
    Does it work with Android Auto?
    Not with Android Auto last time I checked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •