Headlamp Upgrade for LC 76

Default Headlamp Upgrade for LC 76

Good Day, I have an LC76 with factory headligh bulbs fitted.

Does anybody know if there is an upgrade that can be fitted without too much engineering to give better light output?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Default Re: Headlamp Upgrade for LC 76

Your best bet is going to be to fit better bulbs, nightbreaker or similar. I have seen aftermarket units on the net which you can order on amazon, but if they are really much better I dont know. Have the same issue with my 105, standard headlights are crappy, so fitted uprated bulbs and a proper pair of spots.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

As AboutAfrica said, a proper set of halogens will be best. HIDs are not appropriate for the reflectors and lenses.

LED is an option, but also stick with a reputable brand (Phillips etc).

https://www.automotivebulbfinder.com/philips/

https://www.stedi.com.au/blog/landcruiser-70-guide/

Stedi is a decent site as they need to conform to strict Australian Design Rules homologation and testing.

That being said: from what I've seen and read, the whiter and brighter, the LESS you can see. Sounds weird, but that's how your eyes work.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I had a similar problem with an early Amarok model, those main beams where not really making a lot of light with the standard bulbs.
    I also fitted Nightbreakers or something similar, with a less yellow light output and it helped quite a bit.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Nightbreakers is a good option to start with. I'd also go with heavier wires via relays to the headlights. I have found Toyota wiring to lights to be rather lightweight.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Fit a pair of decent spots and you will be happy.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Fit a pair of decent LEGAL spots and you will be happy.
    fixed
    Percivamus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Fit a pair of decent spots and you will be happy.
    This is the bottom line. For long distance driving at night, nothing beats a good set of spots.

But, you can greatly improve the headlights for general use by doing one of the following:

1. Fit LED replacements, I got mine from Voetspore for about R1500. Plug and play. They give a white beam but it's definitely an improvement over the standard lights.
    2. Fit replacement Halogens: I've used Philips ExtremeVisions (+130%) in the past and been very happy - about R500 for a set. I've also had Philips RacingVisions (+150%) in an FJ and was very happy with them - slightly more expensive than the ExtremeVisions.
    3. Some people fit HIDs, the light is good but you get flashes from oncoming traffic and they're not build for the reflectors so I would not go his route.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    This is the bottom line. For long distance driving at night, nothing beats a good set of spots. But, you can greatly improve the headlights for general use by doing one of the following:1. Fit LED replacements, I got mine from Voetspore for about R1500. Plug and play. They give a white beam but it's definitely an improvement over the standard lights. 2. Fit replacement Halogens: I've used Philips ExtremeVisions (+130%) in the past and been very happy - about R500 for a set. I've also had Philips RacingVisions (+150%) in an FJ and was very happy with them - slightly more expensive than the ExtremeVisions. 3. Some people fit HIDs, the light is good but you get flashes from oncoming traffic and they're not build for the reflectors so I would not go his route.
    Johan did you try any other options with the FJ Cruiser ??I want improved lights - but do not want to be a BOX and blind oncoming traffic as this can be really dangerous - people do not seem to realise that they are endangering their own lives with the HID's and LED Bars etc would rather have an option that is considerate to other road users as well CheersGrant

Quote Originally Posted by FJGrant View Post
    Johan did you try any other options with the FJ Cruiser ??I want improved lights - but do not want to be a BOX and blind oncoming traffic as this can be really dangerous - people do not seem to realise that they are endangering their own lives with the HID's and LED Bars etc would rather have an option that is considerate to other road users as well CheersGrant
    Just the Philips RacingVisions, I had them for almost a year and they were great. A big improvement in dipped and bright beams. The cutoffs and beam patterns are exactly the same as for the normal globe, there's just more light. So if they are adjusted correctly, they shouldn't cause any more issues than the standard globes.

The aftermarket Philips globes (Extreme and RacingVisions) that I've used previously are slightly whiter (around 3700k) than the standard globes but not the almost blue colour of things like the Philips CrystalVision (can be up to 5000k). The packaging normally has a colour chart that indicates how white/yellow they are.

So if you stick to a more yellow colour (I think standard globes are around 3100k) you should be fine with either Philips or Osram. If you go over 4000k and more to 5000k, the light becomes too white.
    Last edited by JohanRoux; 2020/04/07 at 04:36 PM.

Somewhere on the Land Cruiser club, they mention the Ring Automotive Xenon type bulb works well, around R300 per pair.
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

I tried night breakers. My orginal globes lasted 6 years no problem. These night breakers both popped within 6 months. So I'm back to factory globes in my bakkie

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

I agree with Tiaan. Have tried many types of lamps on my business vehicles. Night breakers, Phillips, Hella, LEDs and Osram to name a few.
    By mine safety regulations we drive with lights on all day. I do not know if there is a drop in quality but under these conditions very few last longer than a year. They start going past the six month mark.

I do not have a problem with the lights on any of the Cruisers. Both still on OEM globes with LED spots. Find the lights on 76 addequite when using the OEM driving lights with the head lights.

Add a good set of spots think that is the best solution.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Phillips Racing Vision has a expected life of 200 hours and Xtreme Vision has a life of 450 hours.

These high output bulbs will definitely not last as long as OEM lights, but if you like them, at a cost of less than R400 per pair it is not expensive.

I have tried LED lights in a few cars and have never been able to get a clean cut off for oncoming traffic.
    I haven't tried it in the cruiser but probably won't due to past experiences.

I also think that a good pair of spots is the easiest long term solution.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    I tried night breakers. My orginal globes lasted 6 years no problem. These night breakers both popped within 6 months. So I'm back to factory globes in my bakkie
    yep, I tried them in my 1989 110 V8 and the first one popped within 6 months. I switched to Phillips and they lasted until I sold the Landy
    Percivamus

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

So I have fitted the Extreme Vision +130 bulbs in my 76 and they are more than adequate along with a nice set of 7" 'Hard Kor" spots for long distance travelling at night which I normally land up doing at least once every trip I am up in Africa...am VERY happy with this setup. They have lasted longer so far than the Hella and Nightbreaker replacement bulbs tried in the past...
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2020/04/08 at 03:54 PM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    VERY nice but DAMN!! they are expensive!!!
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan