Default Amarok back to Ranger

Need your advise here guys.

short history- owned 2 Rangers prior to the Amarok V6.

1st was a 3.2 Auto, the gearbox drove me nuts and swapped it for a 3.2 Manual. Absolutely loved the manual and miss it dearly.
    The proverbial “gat jikked” and I traded it on a low mileage Amarok V6.

I use my vehicle for a lot of beach work, launching and retrieving boats, average 2000kms a month with very few long distance trips.
    short commute to work with no traffic either.

Here is my honest opinion in terms of what I use the vehicle for, and why I am considering going back to a 3.2 Manual Ranger.

1. Gearbox
    Yes the ZF gearbox is good, but living on the N Coast, with millions of hills and speedbumps it still gets confused.
    I have been let down more than once on the beach where the mighty V6 would not have the torque to reverse me out of a situation with a trailer on the front gooseneck. It has been discussed at length on this forum so I am not going to elaborate further.

Manual Ranger had none of these issues.

2. Safety
    No curtain airbags, I offset this by justifying with AWD and it being a wider vehcile.
    Isofix- The openings in the leather to connect to the baby-seats are too small. The leather literally tore to get the seats in. I also find that the ranger has more room once the seats are in.

3. PDC and reverse camera
    Option to silence the pdc when maneuvering a trailer with itÂ’s plug disconnected, and having the camera on still.
    The option is there but not user friendly.
    Camera position is not as good as Rangers. I could literally put the hitch right underneath the trailer with the ranger. Difficult to judge distance on the Amarok as the angle is too flat.
    Reverse light in the dark is terrible. I do a lot of reversing in the dark, hitching trailers, off to work etc. I find this very frustrating.

4. Although the V6 is amazing on the open road, it feels sluggish and delayed in town, example, coming up to a Yield sign and you want to shoot over. Takes 1-2 seconds for the car to realise what you are trying to do.
    It generally feels like a heavy, sluggish vehicle in town.

Everything I have stated are things compared to the Ranger, in which case the Ranger is superior. I suppose this is a bit of a personal review on different, realworld aspects that I have experienced with these vehicles. Not just kw and nm.

To top it off, the Amarok had it’s mechatronics replaced at 8000kms (previous owner) and apparently a hell of a fight with VW to get it done as well.
    Two days before lockdown, I noticed an oil leak on the driveway. Investegated further and found it was the Amarok. Took it to VW and the put it on the lift, engine oil leak and they will have to clean and take it all apart. Can’t do it in two days, so there she stands dripping away...

Can literally take the Amarok in and drive away with a brand new 3.2 Manual Ranger 4x4 and not spend a cent.
    The temptation is very high.

Thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brydon For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Amarok back to Ranger

Been driving Amarok since 2010. 2015 bought the 2,0l Auto.
    If I had to choose any other bakkie, it would probably be the Ford Ranger. But only because they are making the new Amarok.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shortie For This Useful Post:

Sounds like you bought a lemon.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Sounds like you bought a lemon.

Hi, Lemon regarding all his negative experiences with the Amarok or just the oil leak?
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2020 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium auto - SWAMBO's new car and she loves it.
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - sold
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Predator For This Useful Post:

Well according to this video, you wouldn't be making a mistake moving back to Ford.

Bakkie Buyer's Guide! Hilux vs Ranger vs New Navara vs Amarok V6 vs Mazda BT-50 vs GWM P-Series - YouTube

Seems the Amarok is getting a bit long in the tooth. Buy the Ford man, you know you want to.
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

Amarok owner here, love my bakkie and suits my needs perfectly.

And that is just it, it suits my needs, you have explained in detail where the Ranger suits your needs better and the Amarok does not.

Life is too short to live with regrets my friend.

If you can get in the bakkie you actually want without it costing you an arm and a leg, why not do it? I definitely would.
    Last edited by JS-V8; 2021/10/20 at 08:24 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Hi, Lemon regarding all his negative experiences with the Amarok or just the oil leak?
    No, lemon regarding a brand new Amarok that had to have its mechatronics unit replaced at 8000km.

All his negative experiences seem to be gearbox related.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion

OP hit and run?

Just buy the Ford man!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB
    2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by brydon View Post
    Need your advise here guys.

short history- owned 2 Rangers prior to the Amarok V6.

1st was a 3.2 Auto, the gearbox drove me nuts and swapped it for a 3.2 Manual. Absolutely loved the manual and miss it dearly.
    The proverbial “gat jikked” and I traded it on a low mileage Amarok V6.

I use my vehicle for a lot of beach work, launching and retrieving boats, average 2000kms a month with very few long distance trips.
    short commute to work with no traffic either.

Here is my honest opinion in terms of what I use the vehicle for, and why I am considering going back to a 3.2 Manual Ranger.

1. Gearbox
    Yes the ZF gearbox is good, but living on the N Coast, with millions of hills and speedbumps it still gets confused.
    I have been let down more than once on the beach where the mighty V6 would not have the torque to reverse me out of a situation with a trailer on the front gooseneck. It has been discussed at length on this forum so I am not going to elaborate further.

Manual Ranger had none of these issues.

2. Safety
    No curtain airbags, I offset this by justifying with AWD and it being a wider vehcile.
    Isofix- The openings in the leather to connect to the baby-seats are too small. The leather literally tore to get the seats in. I also find that the ranger has more room once the seats are in.

3. PDC and reverse camera
    Option to silence the pdc when maneuvering a trailer with itÂ’s plug disconnected, and having the camera on still.
    The option is there but not user friendly.
    Camera position is not as good as Rangers. I could literally put the hitch right underneath the trailer with the ranger. Difficult to judge distance on the Amarok as the angle is too flat.
    Reverse light in the dark is terrible. I do a lot of reversing in the dark, hitching trailers, off to work etc. I find this very frustrating.

4. Although the V6 is amazing on the open road, it feels sluggish and delayed in town, example, coming up to a Yield sign and you want to shoot over. Takes 1-2 seconds for the car to realise what you are trying to do.
    It generally feels like a heavy, sluggish vehicle in town.

Everything I have stated are things compared to the Ranger, in which case the Ranger is superior. I suppose this is a bit of a personal review on different, realworld aspects that I have experienced with these vehicles. Not just kw and nm.

To top it off, the Amarok had it’s mechatronics replaced at 8000kms (previous owner) and apparently a hell of a fight with VW to get it done as well.
    Two days before lockdown, I noticed an oil leak on the driveway. Investegated further and found it was the Amarok. Took it to VW and the put it on the lift, engine oil leak and they will have to clean and take it all apart. Can’t do it in two days, so there she stands dripping away...

Can literally take the Amarok in and drive away with a brand new 3.2 Manual Ranger 4x4 and not spend a cent.
    The temptation is very high.

Thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.
    Why do you ask the Forum, You need a tractor and love a Ranger, go get a ranger.
    Herman

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EXPLORER For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    Why do you ask the Forum, You need a tractor and love a Ranger, go get a ranger.
    Herman
    He is probably just testing his story which he is selling to SWAMBO.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB
    2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

The next 2022 Amarok will be a Ford Ranger. Built in SA by Ford.

I'd say you need a manual. Amarok V6 is not available in manual. So Ranger it is.
    In my dreams! Amarok v6 and FJ.
    Reality! Uber.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    He is probably just testing his story which he is selling to SWAMBO.
    Spot on!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shortie For This Useful Post:

Guys, the OP is from April 2020. Do you really think all your comments 18 months later are helpful
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

Just find out whether he bought his Ford man and whether he is still satisfied.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2021 Bushlapa Kewer 2480

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    Just find out whether he bought his Ford man and whether he is still satisfied.
    Saw my post come up on the Monday morning mail…
    I pulled the trigger last year May, best decision for me as all the frustrations I listed have been satisfied.
    Loving the manual!
    Ford has discontinued the 3.2 4x4 D/C manual and I think it’s a question of time before you don’t get any manuals anymore.
    The guy who purchased the Amarok from me phoned me 3 weeks later stuck next to the highway, it wouldn’t go into gear. So once again I agree it must have been a lemon. I felt terrible about his situation although I did give him the whole background on the bakkie. Fortunately warrantee was still in place. They are still great bakkies though for the right person/job.

Best Regards

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brydon For This Useful Post: