KGalagadi Road conditions & Will my Venter survive Kgalagadi

Default KGalagadi Road conditions & Will my Venter survive Kgalagadi

As the topic states, I want to tow my Venter trailer on our Kgalagadi trip in September, and just want to find out if it will survive the trip? Will be driving to Twee Revieren, Mata-Mata and Nossob.

Suzuki SJ410 aka Ruffstuff
    Nissan 1400 5spd gearbox
    Samurai transfercase
    Ironman suspension
    Firestone Destinasion 215/80R15 A/T

Default Re: KGalagadi Road conditions & Will my Venter survive Kgalagadi

Been there two weeks ago and the roads are mostly heavy corrugated.

Whether your Venter will last? I do not know. Have seen a few in the area though.

Ok, sorry. I did not answer your question. Me? I will not trust a standard Venter.

I also heard the Kgalagadi is during the Aug/Sept terms plagued with heavy dust storms. Maybe others can confirm?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

I dont think the Parks will be open then ..The Virus will still be with us ..We are about to cancel our Sept Trip to Kgalagadi because that is what we understand at the moment..We have used a Venter for years ..Driver slowly and let your tyres down ..April May best time to go ..Windy in Aug Sept

In the early 80,s we towed standard Venter trailers thru Bots and Namibia extensively as tour operators.
    With good maintenance and constant wheel bearing checks we hardly ever had problems.
    Assuming that the quality of metal and machining is the same,do not be scared.
    we used standard wheel sizes,but you could try a larger wheel size.
    The roads we used then were pretty rough as well.

Not really the best option, but I would take a Venter there if I had to. As with anything in tow, make sure it is in good condition and the wheels are slightly deflated.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Been there done it! Including Namibia, check wheel bearings and go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Been there two weeks ago and the roads are mostly heavy corrugated.

Whether your Venter will last? I do not know. Have seen a few in the area though.

Ok, sorry. I did not answer your question. Me? I will not trust a standard Venter.

I also heard the Kgalagadi is during the Aug/Sept terms plagued with heavy dust storms. Maybe others can confirm?
    I was there from late September to mid-October.... had MASSIVE dust storms.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4

Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Those roads can be very very corrugated!

Peter as a matter of interest we are also booked in Sept. I hope you are wrong about the virus!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I dont think the Parks will be open then ..The Virus will still be with us ..We are about to cancel our Sept Trip to Kgalagadi because that is what we understand at the moment..We have used a Venter for years ..Driver slowly and let your tyres down ..April May best time to go ..Windy in Aug Sept

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I was there about 2 weeks ago. The road between Twee Rivieren and Nossob was not decent. It was a bit corrugated closer to Nossob. I can't comment on the road to Mata Mata but I heard they were 'grading' both roads a bit more often nowadays.
    The road from Nossob to Polentswa was really bad (at least in my car).
    A couple years ago I took one of those crossroads below Nossob to Mata Mata and the upper one was good back then, not sure about now.
    Hopefully the park is open as others have said, our trip was cut short due to the lockdown...
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    A couple years ago I took one of those crossroads below Nossob to Mata Mata and the upper one was good back then, not sure about now.
    Hopefully the park is open as others have said, our trip was cut short due to the lockdown...
    We are booked for December and I'm holding thumbs that the parks will be open by then. Already had to cancel our annual Kruger trip in July .
    The last time we visited Kgalagadi was in December 2009, and I only remember one road connecting Mata Mata and Nossob. Google Maps shows a more northerly route now. Is that correct? We'll be towing an Echo Kavango and during our visits in 2007 and 2009 the roads were badly corrugated. I can't think that they'll be better now.
    Chris Smal

Colt Trailbuster 2400i - sold 2014
    Ford Everest LTD - bought 2014
    Toyota RAV4 VX platkar - bought 2018

The main roads /routes havenít changed since you were last there. You are probably looking at the road to Bitterpan which is not accessible except for guests staying there.

I didnít find the roads bad in December last year, but thatís a personal opinion.

Enjoy, hope your trip pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    The main roads /routes havenít changed since you were last there. You are probably looking at the road to Bitterpan which is not accessible except for guests staying there.

I didnít find the roads bad in December last year, but thatís a personal opinion.

Enjoy, hope your trip pans out.
    Google Maps showed a route from Mata Mata to Nossob north of the main drag. I'm guessing it is the Bitterpan access road (I seem to remember that was a one way from Nossob's side).

Good to hear that the roads weren't that bad last December. At least the lockdown means a bit less traffic through the year (but probably less maintenance too).

I'm dreaming big and considering a trip to Mabuasehube after visiting the SA side. I wonder if DWNP in Botswana will take bookings now and whether I'll need to pay upfront. If they do and I don't have to, I'll make the bookings and if both sides of the border are open make use of them.
    Chris Smal

Colt Trailbuster 2400i - sold 2014
    Ford Everest LTD - bought 2014
    Toyota RAV4 VX platkar - bought 2018