Solis mini 4G GRID TIED live stats of installations

Default Solis mini 4G GRID TIED live stats of installations

While trying to keep busy and it being a Sunday with no real work done I decided to compile this list of shared live information on systems installed in SA. The total income is based on the kWh units generated at the current price of R2 per kWh. One of the systems have been in place for just over 4 years.
    A number of systems have already saved more power than the cost of the equipment.
    This list relates to Solis mini 4G systems installed with active data being shared.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solis-stat01.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	565155

Name:	solis-stat02.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	565156

Name:	solis-stat03.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	565157
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/04/05 at 04:23 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Solis mini 4G GRID TIED live stats of installations

Now that is a clever idea!
    Personally, I've been on solar for more than a decade. Made it all back a then some ... BUT ... there is effort and thought needed.

Wonder of CoCT would also give a list of their registered systems ...

There are easily 1000's of systems out there today. Most not on a list anywhere. :-)
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

It is good to see the stats, at the end of May my system is up and running for 1 year.

My aim is to see at least 2MWh from the year. System size is not big but the generation adds up if the sun shines everyday.

Size is 1.4kW Grid tie. Panels are facing west.

https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=75969&sid=67356
    “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011

Just added mine for interest (bit OT)

10 Oct 2018 - 20 Mar 2020 1.115MWh

Just 1 Jan 2020 - 20 Mar 2020 208kWh
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Most of the time I feel like a molecule when see the guys talking about their systems. My R10 000 system now only 3 panels have yielded 1.352MWh. 1st year on a single panel and 1 bat gave me 282kWh and the grid tied in the last year added 1 071kWh. My best month was Sep 2019 with 116kWh.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Most of the time I feel like a molecule when see the guys talking about their systems.
    Yeah, I assumed there are some serious okes here ito solar ... problem is majority prefer cheap solutions, as all the monies went into petrol for the 4x4.

I've given up on giving my 2 cents ... cannot compete with the "Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter" guys.

Personally I think solar has a good opportunity here ... if we don't have to argue against Chinese prices all the damn time.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post

I've given up on giving my 2 cents ... cannot compete with the "Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter" guys.

Personally I think solar has a good opportunity here ... if we don't have to argue against Chinese prices all the damn time.
    I don't see argue about China or the rest of the world. I think we all work from a specific base and try and share information. I am sure the "Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter" chats have demonstrated how we can all share in our views that suits our own small world of solar, batteries, inverters, boxes etc.

As long as we explore we are bound to find some gems and share it to the best of ALL OF US.

I don't see argue about China or the rest of the world. I think we all work from a specific base and try and share information. I am sure the "Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter" chats have demonstrated how we can all share in our views that suits our own small world of solar, batteries, inverters, boxes etc.

As long as we explore we are bound to find some gems and share it to the best of ALL OF US.
    O absolutely.

My point was that one cannot argue with a 3kva 12v inverter at THOSE prices vs say a Victron / GoodWE inverter's cost.

Price and needs are major factors in the choices made.

I have had same affordable 12v inverters when I started. Took years to get to where I'm now.

If I was a camper today, I would make my grid tied solar system portable, and move it to the camper / car / caravan with the lithium battery bank.
    Political Correctness

If I was a camper today, I would make my grid tied solar system portable, and move it to the camper / car / caravan with the lithium battery bank.
    Camping - I would never even consider taking 3 big panels along to provide the 60-80V required to get the grid tied inverter to start generating. Space taken by 3 big panels and the weight. Better things to haul along. At present no discount to generate power while camping at most camps. What one could use for camping is a back up system to have power during LS if Swambo needs to dry her hair(2-3min). Or some will need the daily gadgets even in the bush. May be power a laptop and DSTV for those that take TV along when camping.

Camping - I would never even consider taking 3 big panels along to provide the 60-80V required to get the grid tied inverter to start generating. Space taken by 3 big panels and the weight. Better things to haul along. At present no discount to generate power while camping at most camps. What one could use for camping is a back up system to have power during LS if Swambo needs to dry her hair(2-3min). Or some will need the daily gadgets even in the bush. May be power a laptop and DSTV for those that take TV along when camping.
    O yea ...

See, I can camp without ice i.e. warm beer, flat coke and brandy - water siphoned to make it drinkable - SADF did some good training there.
    Or I can camp in complete luxury i.e. built in hot shower in the caravan, TV/DSTV/Microwave with no power point bar what I brought with.
    Panels clipped and held in place fitting perfectly on the double axle caravan's roof.

FWIW. Sold the caravan, as we prefer "border style" in a tent, light and fast, with no electricity bar that what the Isuzu can provide.
    See, I had inverters, still have the fridge, panels and all that ... people more interested in charging their cellphones, mess up the fridge ... so I parked the idea of being Mr Electricity.
    No serias, all the friends and family always just wanted to charge their phones when we camped far away from Eskom sources. Leave the fridge open ...

Same as when we owned a boat. We paid for it. We serviced it. We cleaned it. We pulled it. We paid for the petrol. We paid the entrance fees ... rest just enjoyed the day skiing / fishing.

Ok, that is off topic. Point is, I lost interest in solar power camping.
    Political Correctness

While trying to keep busy and it being a Sunday with no real work done I decided to compile this list of shared live information on systems installed in SA. The total income is based on the kWh units generated at the current price of R2 per kWh. One of the systems have been in place for just over 4 years.
    A number of systems have already saved more power than the cost of the equipment.
    This list relates to Solis mini 4G systems installed with active data being shared.

Name:	solis-stat01.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	565155

Name:	solis-stat02.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	565156

Name:	solis-stat03.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	565157
    It would really be useful if you could pull stats from your data that shows;
    1) Average sun hrs per month/year in jhb, CT etc
    2) Average power produced per pv watt installed per month by area..

Then newbies could work out from real figures how many panels they need to get X power.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    It would really be useful if you could pull stats from your data that shows;
    1) Average sun hrs per month/year in jhb, CT etc
    2) Average power produced per pv watt installed per month by area..

Then newbies could work out from real figures how many panels they need to get X power.
    The figures do in fact give the total hours per day that the inverters were on in the 3rd last column. It does vary from one installation to the next. The 4th from last column is perhaps the most important figure to use to calculate size. In my case there are a number of days that my solar was off after I forgot to switch it on after switching off during thunderstorms. St Francis Bay reported average time on as over 11 hours which I can only think there is a light source keeping the inverter on longer than there is sun. Street lights ? I think one can perhaps use about 5 hours per day as the rest of the time the output is very low. Output before 09h00 and after 17h00 is very low. We can see at Sun City the sun shines for 2 hours longer than Gauteng -

Name:	solar-time-of-day.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	565953
    Further the 4th from last column does provide the output per day of panels per 1kW PV of size. Some figures are very low so it could mean partial shade during the day. Unfortunately one cannot get the output per month to compare winter/summer as the value is a running average since installed. My figures show about 25% less PV during winter. A number of winter months actually provided more than the current summer due to a lot more clouds than other years.

Towns/Cities are shown but those interested can PM me and I can sort the results.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Here are a few sites for solar irradiation, angles of the panels and data:

Angles: http://www.solarelectricityhandbook....alculator.html

Shadow representation: http://shadowcalculator.eu/#/lat/-33...09637726385706

University irradiation info: https://sauran.ac.za/
    You can pull live data from them.
    Like:
    Pta: 2100 tot 2200 kWh/m2 per annum
    Upington - ~ 3 100 kWh/m2 per annum. 50% more than Pta.

And CPT: 2300 tot 2400 kWh/m2 per annum
    At best CPT is 15% more sun per m2 per annum than PTA.
    Political Correctness

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

I think one can perhaps use about 5 hours per day as the rest of the time the output is very low.
    For off-grid, 5.5 hours peak sunlight per day over 12 months being the average for SA, I once read somewhere.

And THAT is why a grid tied inverter like a Solis, and others, make such a huge difference from the 1st watt in the morning to the last watt at night, being off-set against Eskom charges.
    And if you don't need batteries, it makes even more sense to get a Solis grid tied inverter and a few panels.
    Political Correctness

For off-grid, 5.5 hours peak sunlight per day over 12 months being the average for SA, I once read somewhere.

And THAT is why a grid tied inverter like a Solis, and others, make such a huge difference from the 1st watt in the morning to the last watt at night, being off-set against Eskom charges.
    And if you don't need batteries, it makes even more sense to get a Solis grid tied inverter and a few panels.
    That's why I posted the actual graph to see when one gets a good amount of power in from the panels. Before 10h and after 15h30 it is just a small portion of the total for the day. In winter time although sunrise is later you still get a good amount of PV from 10h00 onwards. It is normally the peak around 12h00 that is lower due to lower irradiation that makes the winter energy less than in summer.

AFAIK it does not matter if you are getting 400W early or late in the day of say the 3000W your panels can produce if you use grid tied or using PV to charge batteries or blend it with the grid/batteries. It is still usable power/energy. I would think it is the losses from PV to charging the batteries and inverting the DC to AC where the back-up systems loose power/energy. Both systems will depend on how well the MPPT controller is using the available PV. I think the actual kW/kWPv/day is the value to use instead of trying to work from is it 4.5hours or is it 6 hours. Also due to the varying output from the panels there is quite an error if one would use say 75% of PV times the length of the day in hours based on actual recordings.

Even using the values in my 2 slides would give a wrong value as a number of installations are not very effective and produce less than 50% if they were positioned in a way of having no shading from trees and other buildings or even a parapet wall.

Further as we could see from figures from Faniedup his panels are actually giving more than the rating. This one is difficult to know based on the panels used.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/04/09 at 12:18 PM.

That's why I posted the actual graph to see when one gets a good amount of power in from the panels. Before 10h and after 15h30 it is just a small portion of the total for the day. In winter time although sunrise is later you still get a good amount of PV from 10h00 onwards. It is normally the peak around 12h00 that is lower due to lower irradiation that makes the winter energy less than in summer.

AFAIK it does not matter if you are getting 400W early or late in the day of say the 3000W your panels can produce if you use grid tied or using PV to charge batteries or blend it with the grid/batteries. It is still usable power/energy. I would think it is the losses from PV to charging the batteries and inverting the DC to AC where the back-up systems loose power/energy. Both systems will depend on how well the MPPT controller is using the available PV. I think the actual kW/kWPv/day is the value to use instead of trying to work from is it 4.5hours or is it 6 hours. Also due to the varying output from the panels there is quite an error if one would use say 75% of PV times the length of the day in hours based on actual recordings.

Even using the values in my 2 slides would give a wrong value as a number of installations are not very effective and produce less than 50% if they were positioned in a way of having no shading from trees and other buildings or even a parapet wall.

Further as we could see from figures from Faniedup his panels are actually giving more than the rating. This one is difficult to know based on the panels used.

All very salient points. With lead acid charging there are quite a bit of losses. With Lithiums less so. Without batteries the most effective way of off-setting Eskom charges.

BUT, if you have batteries, and you can use them to off-set evening use, re-charge them with ease the next day using only solar, that makes sense too.

My 3.5kw array has produced 4.2kw under select circumstances, and it is not even optimally mounted, angle of roof etc. Canadian Kumax panels.

The hidden untold lot's-of-effort secret lies in to understand ones loads, schedule them into daytime optimal solar hours, so that the panels and MPPT are used optimally the entire day.
    Political Correctness

The hidden untold lot's-of-effort secret lies in to understand ones loads, schedule them into daytime optimal solar hours, so that the panels and MPPT are used optimally the entire day.
    The free lunch would still be to use grid tied and export during the day instead of having to buy expensive batteries and just use back after 16h30. Grid tied is just such a silent no fuss system with nothing you can change or need to monitor. Except to make sure it is switched on - hehehe.

I have tried on the lawn to position panels to the best angle during the day and felt the gain was not worth the effort. It would be interesting to see the CSIR stats on their solar farm outside Pta where they do tracking the sun to see what gain they are getting.

With heavy cloud cover I got the highest brief moment of PV. Now my panels have also showed they can exceed their rating given the right conditions - hehehe.

Name:	clouds.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	566041

Got 10% more than their rating. The day overall is not so good.

Name:	solar-max02.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	566043
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/04/09 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added pics

BUT, if you have batteries, and you can use them to off-set evening use, re-charge them with ease the next day using only solar, that makes sense too.

My 3.5kw array has produced 4.2kw under select circumstances, and it is not even optimally mounted, angle of roof etc. Canadian Kumax panels.
    I notice quite a number of grid tied inverters (1kW and smaller) overseas are being used from a battery input instead of from solar during the day and night. This way the grid tied is active during the evening as well to use less from the grid.

Any comments on this method.