Tracks4Africa specials during lockdown - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tracks4Africa specials during lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Thank you Lizette. I have emailed Janine.

Regards
    Guy
    Great, thank you Guy, I will ask her to keep an eye out for your mail!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

A big shout out to the T4A team, in particular Lizette and Janine.

I purchased the latest T4A a few days before lockdown and paid the full price (R900). Then T4A posted about the lockdown special and, although a little ticked off, thought, oh well, that's life. Accept it and move on.

The day after my post here in this regard, Lizette asked me to contact Janine, which I did.

Without any queries or issues, my once off purchase was converted to a 5 year subscription. All I can say is WOW!

There are few places where one still gets service like that. Thank you!
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/04/17 at 02:15 PM.
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

I purchased the latest T4A a few days before lockdown and paid the full price (R900). Then T4A posted about the lockdown special and, although a little ticked off, thought, oh well, that's life. Accept it and move on.

The day after my post here in this regard, Lizette asked me to contact Janine, which I did.

Without any queries or issues, my once off purchase was converted to a 5 year subscription. All I can say is WOW!

Hallo Guy,

You are welcome, enjoy and be safe!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Hi Lizette,

I am in a situation that i have a Garmin 76 CX gps and have used T4A on it for yonks, updating every now and then. Served me well over the years. Using Mapscource and would think that it would be difficult to keep this arrangement going, without drifting to Basecamp.

I waited for time to allow technology to develop to a point that i could use an android type device to be used because of screen size etc. More or less decided now to upgrade to a Garmin 276 CX maybe, even though it could be pulled out of production.

I am wary of updating now and then having to try and energise a new gps in the future, maybe later in the year, exchange rate allowing. Your thoughts?

PS the 76 CX and current version of T4A shows tracks as dotted and very light, unless zoomed in to an almost unacceptable level. Do not recall exactly but seem to think that it was different on earlier versions, but it could be ageing eyesight? I noticed that my regular travelling companion uses a simple and cheaper NUVI with a bigger and better quality screen and this is way easier to use, in offroad conditions, when compared to the older machine i use. Never knew nor realised that the NUVI has that zoom and detail problem when compared to the outdoor gps's.

Wow - just to add to this. This is very cool and just goes to show!!

I have now installed the maps also and man, they are comprehensive! Very happy with T4A and will continue to support for as long as I travel...
    Last edited by douglash; 2020/04/17 at 03:18 PM.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Hi Lizette,

I am in a situation that i have a Garmin 76 CX gps and have used T4A on it for yonks, updating every now and then. Served me well over the years. Using Mapscource and would think that it would be difficult to keep this arrangement going, without drifting to Basecamp.

I waited for time to allow technology to develop to a point that i could use an android type device to be used because of screen size etc. More or less decided now to upgrade to a Garmin 276 CX maybe, even though it could be pulled out of production.

I am wary of updating now and then having to try and energise a new gps in the future, maybe later in the year, exchange rate allowing. Your thoughts?

PS the 76 CX and current version of T4A shows tracks as dotted and very light, unless zoomed in to an almost unacceptable level. Do not recall exactly but seem to think that it was different on earlier versions, but it could be ageing eyesight? I noticed that my regular travelling companion uses a simple and cheaper NUVI with a bigger and better quality screen and this is way easier to use, in offroad conditions, when compared to the older machine i use. Never knew nor realised that the NUVI has that zoom and detail problem when compared to the outdoor gps's.
    Hi Ed,

There are quite a few of the old 76CX's still around, amazingly still going strong! We do have the T4A Overland Navigator App that works on Android, but it is somewhat different to the GPS, and you cannot plan on the computer and send your planning to the app. If you are used to the GPS, the app will disappoint, although it is handy to put on a big screen like a tablet. I love the T4A Guide app that is excellent for planning "on the fly" - it works well on my phone, with a smaller screen, but I love it on my 10" tablet.

There is no reason why you cannot update your maps now, and then when you do purchase the new GPS, transfer the maps to the new GPS. Once you have downloaded the maps to the computer, you can easily send it to the new device, and our support team is here to help you both with installing on your current device and transferring it to your new device. Depending on the exchange rate, it may be a good idea to purchase a GPS now, while the "old" stock at the "old" exchange rate is still available - you will only get delivery once lockdown has ended, but you get the GPS at the pre-lockdown prices (depending on stock availability). Have a look at the Navworld website, they are selling online during lockdown: https://navworld.co.za/product-categ...rby=price-desc. Delivery will only take place once lockdown has ended.

Don't be so quick to blame the ageing eyesight! What does happen is that as the data that we have in the T4A map increases, a lot of detail gets displayed on the GPS screen. So much detail that it becomes too cluttered to read. So we make slight changes to the zoom levels at which "less important" data is displayed. This means that you have to zoom in more to e.g. see some of the minor roads, or pans and picnic sites, etc. On top of that, the different Garmin Devices display icons and roads at different zoom levels, so we have to try and find an average setting that will suit most Garmin models - but then we have to gear the settings more towards the newer model GPS, as there are many of them, and only a few of the old 76Cx's around, so yes the maps will display better on the newer models than on the older models.

Correct, the outdoor GPS's like the 276Cx and Overlander will display the off-road data in more detail than the street navigator such as the Drive series - but the data is still there, it just means you have to zoom in more on the Drive to see the same data than what you would do on the 276Cx. I have a Montana but need my glasses to read the screen, and then whip them off when I look back at the road - so I confess to borrowing the office's Drive with the bigger screen to navigate with, while the Montana is recording my tracks.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you need assistance with the maps, our team is always willing to help!

Stay well and stay safe

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Wow - just to add to this. This is very cool and just goes to show!!

I have now installed the maps also and man, they are comprehensive! Very happy with T4A and will continue to support for as long as I travel...
    Hi Douglas,

That is great news, thank you!

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Hallo Everybody,

Just to let you know that the Lockdown Specials on the T4A online shop is coming to an end on Sunday 31 May 2020 - on the 1st of June we will start with a "Recovery Sale", but these prices will not be the same as the Lockdown Sale, so you have two more days to make use of these excellent prices! Shop online at: https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/

Be safe

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2