Tracks4Africa specials during lockdown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tracks4Africa specials during lockdown

Make use of the excellent discounts on Tracks4Africa products (https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/) during the lockdown period in South Africa. Note that delivery of the physical products such as paper maps, books and SD cards will only take place once the lockdown has ended, but that downloadable products can be purchased and downloaded now. Further information from Johann Groenewald (Groenie on the forum), owner of Tracks4Africa, below:

This message is for all hodophiles (lovers of roads). While hodophobes* may be quite content with our current constraints, I am anxiously aware of all travel restrictions while we deal with Covid-19. What to do in the downtime? Plan a road trip!

If you love the road and can't wait to get back out there, then I have good news for you. You can now buy our downloadable, Garmin compatible maps at lockdown prices. This is not a Black Friday deal to boost our numbers, this is our way of keeping all staff on board and paying salaries for the unforeseeable future.

Since we cannot ship any physical products and all our retail outlets are closed for sales, we expect quite a big delay before our cashflow will return to normal. I have made sure that we have spare cash for a rainy day, but I am afraid this is no ordinary rainy day and it might become a rainy quarter.

So I am slashing the prices of products which we can sell right now in order to give you a great deal. These are the maps you need for planning that longed-for African road trip. And in buying these maps now, you will be helping us tremendously during a very uncertain time.

Your lockdown deal
    Our downloadable maps, which cover the entire African continent, usually cost R900 for a one-year subscription. You can get the year's subscription for R300 during the lockdown. If you have bought this product before, you will receive a further 50% discount, which means you can now get the GPS Africa maps for R150.

I have also introduced a five-year subscription option for the above maps, which would normally retail for R1,750. During lockdown we are discounting the five-year subscription to R875. If you want to get access to our latest maps for five years uninterrupted, then this is the most affordable way ever.

What do we mean by subscription? Our Garmin compatible maps never expire, so you can use them for as long as you have them, but the subscription entitles you to map updates during the time of your subscription. For downloadable maps we release four updates per year. You can download these from your user profile on our website and our staff is on standby to assist you if you need any help in doing so.

Plan now, travel later
    I have decided to open up the sales of our physical products as well. We cannot ship hard copies right now but for that reason I have made them available to you at a huge discount. These prices are only available on our online shop (https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/) and will only be available during the lockdown period. Please note that shipping will take place only once the South African lockdown has been lifted.

I thank you for your continued support and I trust that you and your family will remain safe during this extraordinary time.

Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

*Hodophile: lover of roads or one who loves to travel. Hodophobia is an irrational fear, or phobia, of travel.
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tracks4Africa specials during lockdown

Buying the 5 year right now! Great deal! Thanks T4A
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb Re: Tracks4Africa specials during lockdown

I have also bought the 5yr deal, very happy with that BUT,

Very excited about my new venture I wanted to install tonight, without success.

Maybe not the thread to bring this up but when I want to unzip the file it gives message "Destination file could not be created"

The guide makes it very simple, but when the laptop does not co-operate it is frustrating.

With my previous version of T4A 190301 I remember having to get a special conversion/patch to do the installation.

I'l have to phone on monday - just hope somebody is at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicobie View Post
    I have also bought the 5yr deal, very happy with that BUT,

Very excited about my new venture I wanted to install tonight, without success.

Maybe not the thread to bring this up but when I want to unzip the file it gives message "Destination file could not be created"

The guide makes it very simple, but when the laptop does not co-operate it is frustrating.

With my previous version of T4A 190301 I remember having to get a special conversion/patch to do the installation.

I'l have to phone on monday - just hope somebody is at the office.
    Hi Nicobie,

Great, thank you for your support!

We are all working remotely, so I am afraid no one will answer the office phone on Monday - please could you email [email protected] or myself [email protected] and I will forward your enquiry to the sales team. If you include your cell number, we can call you back on WhatsApp, and the girls are great with assisting you with TeamViewer (or similiar software).

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

This actually ticks me off as I just spent R900 on the full GPS maps the week before lockdown!
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    This actually ticks me off as I just spent R900 on the full GPS maps the week before lockdown!
    Hallo Ghouwens,

Please could you email [email protected] with your query - we would like to change your one year subscription to a five year subscription instead.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post

Ag man, that's life! And it is a daily occurrence in retail. A least he gave a good and valid reason for the (unplanned) promotion.

Does this apply for the mobile app?
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Does this apply for the mobile app?
    Hi Quicksilver,

I am afraid not, it only applies to the products that can be purchased through our website.

We updated our Guide App in February, and together with that came a slight improvement in the prices of the individual maps, so you may want to have a look. The Navigator app still remains R799 for the full set of Africa maps if you buy through the South African store.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

I just bought today with the 5 year update, it works perfectly.
    On the android application there are improvements on the displays. I read that it was average compared to a Garmin gps.

Hi Lizette

Met computer tegnologie is ek uit my diepte maar as ek nie vra sal ek nooit weet nie.

Ek sal graag T4A wil gebruik vir overlanding beplanning. Om die download maps te gebruik het ek enige ander programme nodig op my rekenaar om dit moontlik te maak?

Sal dit ook moontlik wees om die download maps oortedra na my Garmin Overlander device of is n T4A SD kaart daarvoor nodig?

Jammer vir die onkunde maar dankie
    Ps 16:5

Quote Originally Posted by themsi View Post
    I just bought today with the 5 year update, it works perfectly.
    On the android application there are improvements on the displays. I read that it was average compared to a Garmin gps.
    Hallo Themsi,

Glad to hear you bought the subscription, the 5-year subscription is certainly one of our best-value-for-money options at the moment!

With regards to the Android (and Apple) applications - we have two T4A products for Smartphones, the T4A Guide App and the T4A Overland Navigator App.

On the Guide App we have recently (Feb-2020) done an update, and there is a great improvement on the level of detail on the maps – I believe that this is the application that you refer to when you say that there has been “improvements in the displays”? This is not a navigational app, but an app that helps you with research and planning, much like a guide book or travel guide does. Your position is shown with a purple arrow on the map, and you can turn on your choice of POI’s on the map. If you e.g. choose camping, all the campsites around your position will light up, and you can see all the campsites on the map. You can select a campsite to get more information, but you cannot instruct the app to “go to” that campsite. I personally love this app and use it extensively when I am on the road. I don’t do too much planning and don’t rush from point to point. When I have had enough of driving, I look for a campsite. Or if I know that I need to restock on my supplies, I look on the app for the shops in the area and plan my route accordingly.

Our Overland Navigator App is a navigational tool, that can replace the need for a separate GPS device. Once you have downloaded the app, it works on GPS signal only, so you don’t need cell reception for the app to work. The app itself is not as intuitive to use as the GPS, or Google Maps – and I think that this may the app you refer to when you say that you “read that it was average compared to a Garmin gps”. Yes, it does take some getting used to, and the only way to do that is to actually use the app.

I was forced to do that a few years ago when the Montana’s charger cable packed up on one of my trips, and I had to use the app for a few days. Once you are used to the ins and outs, it is a very useful app, although not without its shortcomings. Unfortunately T4A cannot control how the app works, as it is an external application that imports our T4A data. One can for instance not plan on the computer, and then send your planned routes to the phone. And one cannot transfer your saved points from the phone to your computer either. So while many (me included) prefer to drive with a GPS to record tracks and waypoints, there are many that want a navigational tool without the additional expense for a GPS, and for them this would be a suitable application.

Enjoy your T4A maps, I'm sure we all look forward to some extensive trips once we are allowed to travel again!

Kind regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Hi Lizette

Met computer tegnologie is ek uit my diepte maar as ek nie vra sal ek nooit weet nie.

Ek sal graag T4A wil gebruik vir overlanding beplanning. Om die download maps te gebruik het ek enige ander programme nodig op my rekenaar om dit moontlik te maak?

Sal dit ook moontlik wees om die download maps oortedra na my Garmin Overlander device of is n T4A SD kaart daarvoor nodig?

Jammer vir die onkunde maar dankie
    Hallo Chris,

Jy gaan Garmin Basecamp benodig op jou rekenaar: https://www.garmin.com/en-ZA/software/basecamp/. Om die kaarte oor te dra vanaf die rekenaar na jou GPS, het jy gewoonlik 'n program nodig met die naam van Mapinstall, maar die Overlander is so 'n bietjie anders. Daar is 'n thread hier: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...76#post4365876 wat die Overlander bespreek, en hoe om die kaarte op die Overlander te laai. Nee, jy hoef nie die T4A SD kaart te koop nie, jy benodig slegs die "download link" - as jy vashaak, email asseblief on span op [email protected] en ons help you.

Groete

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

After downloading T4A will it automatically erase the older version on our GPS?
    Presume Map Source is still preferred to Base Camp for installation?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Purchased and installed! Thank You Lizette!

I used Base Camp Map Install.

Incidentally the first time I installed to the GPS it said all OK
    But when I opened the GPS to see the map it still had the old version.
    Went back to Map Install this time pressed Customize and told it to
    install the Full Version. This was successful.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Same here purchased and installed on basecamp and GPS
    Francois

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    After downloading T4A will it automatically erase the older version on our GPS?
    Presume Map Source is still preferred to Base Camp for installation?
    Hi Paul,

I always only install the new version of T4A to the GPS and the older version is automatically overwritten. If you cannot find the new version after installation, then it is recommended to first uninstall the old version before installing the new one.

While most of us still prefer to do our route planning in Mapsource, it does not recognise the "newer" GPS's so transferring data and maps with Mapsource is often not possible - I have a Montana that I bought in 2013, and I have to use Basecamp to transfer waypoints from the computer to the GPS, and to download my tracks from the GPS to the computer.

To transfer the maps from your computer to the GPS, you nowadays need MapInstall - when you download Basecamp, this usually downloads with it. Else you can download it here.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Purchased and installed! Thank You Lizette!

I used Base Camp Map Install.

Incidentally the first time I installed to the GPS it said all OK
    But when I opened the GPS to see the map it still had the old version.
    Went back to Map Install this time pressed Customize and told it to
    install the Full Version. This was successful.
    Thanks Paul, I will look out for that "full version" next time I do an installation.

Enjoy!

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hallo Chris,

Jy gaan Garmin Basecamp benodig op jou rekenaar: https://www.garmin.com/en-ZA/software/basecamp/. Om die kaarte oor te dra vanaf die rekenaar na jou GPS, het jy gewoonlik 'n program nodig met die naam van Mapinstall, maar die Overlander is so 'n bietjie anders. Daar is 'n thread hier: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...76#post4365876 wat die Overlander bespreek, en hoe om die kaarte op die Overlander te laai. Nee, jy hoef nie die T4A SD kaart te koop nie, jy benodig slegs die "download link" - as jy vashaak, email asseblief on span op [email protected] en ons help you.

Groete

Lizette
    Done! T4A downloaded on my Overlander.

Thanks
    Ps 16:5

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris B For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hallo Ghouwens,

Please could you email [email protected] with your query - we would like to change your one year subscription to a five year subscription instead.

Regards

Lizette
    Thank you Lizette. I have emailed Janine.

Regards
    Guy
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast