3.2 ford engine failures imminent? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: 3.2 ford engine failures imminent?

Watte, serijaas, dit is sieke a VW joke wat djy nou hie wil ko a Ford joke maak ne?.. Jokes aside. No the oil pump wont drain by itself...
    VW TDI
    Dries de Kock

Het jy al ooit 'n strooitjie vol vloeistof gemaak, die een kant toegemaak en hom toe uit die vloeistof uitgehaal? Of verstaan jy nie die begrip nie. As dit enige ander maak was, sou jy waarskynlik niks te sÍ gehad het nie, maar wee die arme Ford.

Myne: Wildtrak 4x4
    Hare: GV 2.4
    Miskruier 1113

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierreb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pierreb View Post
    Het jy al ooit 'n strooitjie vol vloeistof gemaak, die een kant toegemaak en hom toe uit die vloeistof uitgehaal? Of verstaan jy nie die begrip nie. As dit enige ander maak was, sou jy waarskynlik niks te sÍ gehad het nie, maar wee die arme Ford.
    Sorry, you lost me...

It was directed at the origin of this thread

Myne: Wildtrak 4x4
    Hare: GV 2.4
    Miskruier 1113

Our Ranger stood for about 3 months.
    Maintenance battery charger on and tyres up 2.5.

No issues on our return, this happend a few times over the last 3-4 years.

Since we are on pension it stands for approx 3 weeks with the charger on and no issue when we start.
    PS - the fridge/freezer stays in the Ranger and is hooked up to 220 to keep it running and keep both batteries up to speed with a Victron IP65.

Need to find a spot in Nylstroom to get the 4x4 to work a bit, no place and the guys I know on the farms have got no 4x4 place to run.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

even if the oil pump is not the issue, it is good practice to run the vehicle now and then. Even our combine harvester dealer suggests we run it every month and move it around to keep seals from drying out and stop belts from forming around pulleys etc. and for those of you in lockdown, shame, you should be somewhere where they are taking good precautions but still keeping the country working like Zambia, running the car should make a change from Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    With the lockdown, many cars are standi g for extended periods.

The 3.2 oil pump is difficult to prime. When serviced, the oil must be refilled within 10-15 minutes of draining or the oil pump may not prime.

With the car standing for many days, the oil pump may lose prime. For most, by the time they realise the oil light hasn't gone off, it's too late.

So those owners with 3.2 ford engines, start them every second day or so to keep the oil pump primed. And keep an eye on that oil pressure light. If it doesnt go off within 3-4 seconds, switch off and seek help from a competent mechanic that knows how to prime the oil pump.
    Hahaha... gota laugh at some posts
    2013 Mazda BT50 3.2 4x4 F/C - Daily
    1996 Hilux Raider 2.4 22R 4x4 S/C - Toy

We have 10 of these vehicles an it get very cold in winter time, sometimes of these vehicles stand for from Thursday to Monday, or three weeks went the guys are on leave. Never had an issue. Some of then are close to 300k on the clock.

www.rtsradio.co.za
    www.towermast.co.za
    www.iwalkie.co.za
    Office : 087 550 1035; 061 015 0000; 061 714 0003; 061 714 0003
    Cell : 083 75 000 57

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DBothma For This Useful Post:

To put all theories to rest try and find an exploded diagram of the engine in question and see where oil pump sits in relation to the sump/oil level. I have rebuilt a robin EH29 2cylinder engine. It has an overhead cam and the oil pump is located on the balance shaft which is above the oil level in the sump. This needed priming before running up the first time. As far as long standing vehicles go, my Prado 120 (2007) is used only on high days and holidays. When it stands for long periods had problem with battery charge but once started no problem, it runs like clockwork and also has DUnlops on, this if after periods of over 3 month. No flat spots to talk about. Only issue I had it felt sluggish and my macky said I should put injector cleaner into a tank of fuel. I found afterwards the rubber pipe between filler neck and tank cracked. Not sure if addititve was the culprit or age. I had same issue when i put additive in my Mazda 2.5 DC pickup, the pipe also let go. So I dont know. The wifes Audi sits on trickle charger when stands for long periods as a lot of electronics that suck on the battery. Then again it's different strokes for different folks. Nuf said

Quote Originally Posted by Pierreb View Post
    Soos ek dit sien het die OP inligting ontvang en uit goedertrou dit gedeel. Indien dit korrek is sou dit baie mense lang trane spaar. Indien die inligting verkeerd is, sou niemand skade gehad het nie, net hulle voertuig om elke tweede dag gestart het.

Die feit dat jy 'n Ford ry beteken nie dit was op jou gerig nie. Ignoreer indien nie van toepassing nie. Nie nodig om dit persoonlik op te neem nie.

Elk vervaardiger het "storage instructions" vir produkte. Gewoonlik vir langer periodes, soos wanneer hulle op skepe gestaan het of in voorraad gewag het. Punt van die saak is voertuie wat stilstaan kort ook aandag. Of dit van toepassing is oor 3-5 weke, is 'n ander saak. Storage instructions is gewoonlik vir langer staan tye maar steeds.

Start jou Ford, of los hom dat hy staan. Dis jou voertuig en jou keuse. Ek dink net nie dit is neerhalend op Ford eienaars gemik nie. So moet dinge nie persoonlik neem nie

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

ok so this is not any brand specific but in some defence to the op let me say this.

I am in the logistics business. We deal with vehicle manuafcturers, all of them. Amongst other things we do yard management of vehicles for them.

All of them have specific instructions on what has to be done on vehicles at different time intervals whilst vehicles are standing in yard. For whatever reason they or you might have or think.

All of them include starting vehicles, and driving them, at different time intervals. I would say it is not bad practice to do so every 2-3 weeks. Go to the shop or something, but try and get your vehicle moving every now and then. Even the OE's seem to think it not a bad idea. They also pump tyres to above normal pressures etc.

So to the OP, thanks for the reminder, and if your specific vehicle's design is slightly different than the norm, with possibly a slightly higher risk (Estee can help explain again) then I would guess, rather safe than sorry.

Seems like the corona frustration is real here, guys are rough.

So how many engines have failed?

Started mine today.... took it for a drive.... engine didn't fail....
    1997 Suzuki Samurai (Coily)
    1.5 inch spring lift
    30x9.5 BFG KM2 muds
    4.16 RockLobster

2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4

Iím still stuck overseas ask wife to start mine after long briefing no problem after 2 month.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3