Cutting Bumper to Fit bigger Tyres (Suzuki Jimny)

Default Cutting Bumper to Fit bigger Tyres (Suzuki Jimny)

Hi,

I have a new Suzuki Jimny 1.5 (2020 model), and I want to fit 235/75 r15 tyres so the bumper has to be trimmed at the bottom ( just a small amount). Any suggestions on the best way to cut it or is there someone I can get to do it for me in CPT?

Don't have any good quality tools and this is my first new car ever, so can't mess it up. Thanx in advance!

Default Re: Cutting Bumper to Fit bigger Tyres (Suzuki Jimny)

Careful when installing tires which need irreversible body modifications to fit! Keep in mind, the engineers designed the vehicle with certain limits in mind. CV-joints, side-shafts, rack and pinion steering system etc etc, will take a hit. It is OK if you use the vehicle around town but if you want to go on a Africa holiday you might not even make it to the place were you really need the bigger tires. Ask me all about it. You want bigger tires, buy a vehicle with bigger tires
    I love Mozambique!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gomario For This Useful Post:

Use a 115mm angle grinder with a 1mm cutting disk...measure twice, cut once......after all, what could go wrong?

Actually, I'm with Gomario on this one. Be wary of doing irreversible body cuts that will maybe reduce the value of the vehicle.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

What size are the tyres now?
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    What size are the tyres now?
    The current tyres are 195/75 r16, so far to small.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    Careful when installing tires which need irreversible body modifications to fit! Keep in mind, the engineers designed the vehicle with certain limits in mind. CV-joints, side-shafts, rack and pinion steering system etc etc, will take a hit. It is OK if you use the vehicle around town but if you want to go on a Africa holiday you might not even make it to the place were you really need the bigger tires. Ask me all about it. You want bigger tires, buy a vehicle with bigger tires
    Yeah, done a bit of research on this. Still a tad worried about the above Just touches the bottom of the front bumper, when the front wheels are turned. 215/75 r15 fit with no need for trimming so might go with those. (Most people seem to be running these on the Jimny.)

Quote Originally Posted by marz View Post
    215/75 r15 fit with no need for trimming so might go with those. (Most people seem to be running these on the Jimny.)
    I think you've answered your own question then
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

With the Jimnys limited power I would also be careful about going too big.

Then again. I went for the biggest I could lol.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by marz View Post
    Hi,

I have a new Suzuki Jimny 1.5 (2020 model), and I want to fit 235/75 r15 tyres so the bumper has to be trimmed at the bottom ( just a small amount). Any suggestions on the best way to cut it or is there someone I can get to do it for me in CPT?

Don't have any good quality tools and this is my first new car ever, so can't mess it up. Thanx in advance!
    Those tyres are a smidgen too big for the car. You'll probably notice it in the performance and capability later on too.
    Not to mention the structural issues you may find - stress on the CV, gearbox and the likes.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4

Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.