Inverter recommendations for camping usage? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Inverter recommendations for camping usage?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I bought a 500W would rather have had a smaller 300W which operates at a lower temp. Was not a Victron. 300W would have handled all our requirements.
    This is the thing that amazes me. If you need more than 500W when camping then re-examine your needs and wants.

Obviously there are special cases, but people buy a 1000W or even 3000W to charge their cell phones.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    I am also looking for a inverter just to power a warm blanket on my winter camps.
    Obviously not the whole night just to warm bed but yet to find a answer there is so many different one's and you do not know if it is decent or not.
    With the China 3000W inverter that has no fan coming on below 300W it is a good choice for camping. I notice it is only 4cm longer than the small Victron placed earlier. Yes the Victron would out last the China PSW one. Giving 1500W continuous it stays a good buy.
    No load power used from Battery is not ALWAYS an issue. The China 1500W full load draws less than 8W at idle. The 500W Victron draws 6W. Does this make a difference?

Looking at the size. The above China inverter is only 4cm longer than the 375VA and 2.5cm longer than the 500VA Victron models. Changi also make a 1000W - 500W continious PSW which is only 19cm long and thus smaller than the Victrons.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/03/31 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    With the China 3000W inverter that has no fan coming on below 300W it is a good choice for camping. I notice it is only 4cm longer than the small Victron placed earlier. Yes the Victron would out last the China PSW one. Giving 1500W continuous it stays a good buy.
    No load power used from Battery is not ALWAYS an issue. The China 1500W full load draws less than 8W at idle. The 500W Victron draws 6W. Does this make a difference?

Looking at the size. The above China inverter is only 4cm longer than the 375VA and 2.5cm longer than the 500VA Victron models. Changi also make a 1000W - 500W continious PSW which is only 19cm long and thus smaller than the Victrons.
    I have a changi 3000w but still bit bulky for my use looking for something smaller between 300w and 500w.
    Blanket only draws about 60w.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    I have a changi 3000w but still bit bulky for my use looking for something smaller between 300w and 500w.
    Blanket only draws about 60w.
    Thats why I mentioned the 1000W = 500W Changi which is 11cm shorter than the 3000W.

I won't even consider an inverter with capacity over 500W in any vehicle. Just too dangerous and requiring outsized wiring and fusing to prevent a possible sad ending.
    As mentioned in previous posts, a 350W Victron unit will do the job and you will have after-sales service and peace of mind.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I would not go for anything bigger than 500W at the most. For charging laptops and cameras a 350 is more than adequate. Keep in mind that the bigger you go the more the inverter will draw from the battery, a 350 will draw about 29A and a 1200w load will draw a comfortable 100A in the 12v side so boiling a kettle as an example will buckle your battery so hard the sides will dent in from the sucking of power. If you take that a 100 A/h battery is built to drop to half its capacity then that 1200w load will kill the battery in half an hour.

A camera or laptop is between 75 and 100W and draws 6,5 - 8,5 A on the 12v side, managable and sustainable. A 350w inverter will do this while idling and not break the bank and yes a 100W unit will not even know it is working but the internal resistance and current consumption is more as well as the original purchase price. Why buy a truck to do the work of a shopping basket.
    Thanks for this. I don't see myself ever charging else but camera batteries and a MacBook on a camping trip, so a 500W seems perfect (and compact in size) - the only problem being that I believe Apple products don't do well with MSW inverters and the minimum size PSW inverter I've seen so far is 1000W. Would this correct? Thanks

Confirmed, Apple products require Pure Sinewave inverters. Even the junk advertised on Takealot and Geewiz advertise that their MSW inverters cannot run Apple products. Probably due to some hard lessons learned.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Ellies sell 300watt up pure sinewave inverters.

You might have to call a ellies branch or visit a store that sell there products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bhwiid For This Useful Post:

If you can find one been looking a while

Quote Originally Posted by bhwiid View Post
    Ellies sell 300watt up pure sinewave inverters.

You might have to call a ellies branch or visit a store that sell there products
    Thanks - just found a 600W PSW inverter on the Ellies online website for R1.6k, but delivery is to their Bloem store and only after lockdown.
    Guess I will wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanners View Post
    Thanks - just found a 600W PSW inverter on the Ellies online website for R1.6k, but delivery is to their Bloem store and only after lockdown.
    Guess I will wait!
    Great find, running the light things you want to run would be no problem.
    It is not big enough for internal resistance to be a noticeable problem just avoid using it to the full capacity. At 600w it will draw 50A on the 12v side so be careful. My suggestion would be to wire it with 6mm wire and fuse it with a 40A fuse. Keep the 12V cables as short as possible, the 220 on the output is far easier and economical to extend.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Great find, running the light things you want to run would be no problem.
    It is not big enough for internal resistance to be a noticeable problem just avoid using it to the full capacity. At 600w it will draw 50A on the 12v side so be careful. My suggestion would be to wire it with 6mm wire and fuse it with a 40A fuse. Keep the 12V cables as short as possible, the 220 on the output is far easier and economical to extend.
    Thanks again - after re-reading all the advice on this thread, the Victron 375 (300W output) seems to be the most recommended light-duty PSW inverter and I see the Power Store has stock, also around R1.6k. Will go for this one. Also consistent with your advice on being careful of a heavy draw on an aux battery.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanners For This Useful Post:

I'm looking for a pure sine wave inverter that is reasonably compact for charging camera batteries and an Apple MacBook while camping and on the road. Would appreciate any advice on the optimum inverter wattage for such applications?
    There are low voltage chargers for cameras and I'm sure with some application the Apple Macbook can also be run off DC..

Quote Originally Posted by peyperj View Post
    Installed this Victron 375va into my Metalian trailer. Works a charm to charge laptop, kid's tablets, phones and run nebulizer Attachment 564096
    I used 10mm2 (2.3m length) cable and its advisable not to exceed 3m length.
    I will fit a 50A Terminal Fuse Block ( https://www.bluesea.com/products/519...k_-_30_to_300A) on my battery positive and no need to fuse negative due to an earth cable installed from negative to trailer body.
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx 265/75/R16, National Luna 90L Twin & 55L, Gobi-X Fridge Slide (Next upgrade - Winch, Snorkel, Rock Sliders, Alu or S/Steel Canopy)

2018 Volkswagen Kombi

2019 Metalian Maxi Off-road Trailer

19. The Following User Says Thank You to peyperj For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by peyperj View Post
    I used 10mm2 (2.3m length) cable and its advisable not to exceed 3m length.
    I will fit a 50A Terminal Fuse Block ( https://www.bluesea.com/products/519...k_-_30_to_300A) on my battery positive and no need to fuse negative due to an earth cable installed from negative to trailer body.
    Thanks Peyperj. Because I don't have a place in my car to permanently mount the 375, I was planning to store it in a bag and then connect it to my aux. battery controller via a Brad Harrison plug (without any additional fuses) when I want to charge laptop/camera. Presume this would be possible?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanners For This Useful Post:

This is exactly how I used it the first time.
    Brad harrison and direct to my aux battery in bakkie's load bin. No extra fuse. I had no issues, but would rather have it fused.
    Now it's fitted in Trailer permanently. Cables are run. Just need to install fuse once the lockdown is over.
    Thanks Peyperj. Because I don't have a place in my car to permanently mount the 375, I was planning to store it in a bag and then connect it to my aux. battery controller via a Brad Harrison plug (without any additional fuses) when I want to charge laptop/camera. Presume this would be possible?
    Last edited by peyperj; 2020/04/02 at 10:44 PM.
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx 265/75/R16, National Luna 90L Twin & 55L, Gobi-X Fridge Slide (Next upgrade - Winch, Snorkel, Rock Sliders, Alu or S/Steel Canopy)

2018 Volkswagen Kombi

2019 Metalian Maxi Off-road Trailer

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peyperj For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2