Ford & Mazda Stock Essex V6 upgrade advice/guidance - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Stock Essex V6 upgrade advice/guidance

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    If you want to keep the vehicle standard, that would be the only reason IMHO to keep that Ford V6.

Compared to today's engines, it is not a good engine at all.
    Any modenn 2-2.5 TDi engine will outperform it easily.

I would have looked at the Ford/Mazda 2500 TD engine.
    Cheap, simple, reliable and will easily outperform the V6.

The Isuzu 280 DT would be a great choice, if you are prepared to add another brand name.
    A 2l golf long block will outperform the v6, in stock trim they produce 110 kw and if you spend a little time and a few rand they turn in to monsters, but..... as Fransois said it was the go to engine for a long time from Land Rove to Kombis ran on the v6 rumble. Compared to a modern v6 they were not as powerful but if you compare to the 6g72 it delivers the same power but waaay more reliable

I would think twice before doing an engine transplant especially petrol to diesel. To start the ratios would have to be changed and regardless of how meticulous one works there are always teething troubles and reliability issues.
    Like they say in Afrikaans "is die kool die sous werd?"

Jelo is spot on with his change at 7500 and add Zink like comp additive, I thought zink was a well kept secret, it works exceptionally well, especially on older engines.

One critically important bit of info: If you do the heads the new gaskets have to be re torqued after 500km. If not prepare for failure after 550km
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd say, used in standard format, it is a decent engine with good torque and acceptable fuel consumption.

My Cortina Mk5 LDV would easily run at 10km/L if the revs were kept in the sweet spot of just around 3250 RPM.

Some thing I learned to keep them running well:

- don't run lean, they hate it and will burn valves fast
    - don't over-rev, I think the issues with the bores and rings was because, as Francois said, they were designed as diesel engines and a heavy crank and pistons don't like revs
    - make sure the cooling system is 110% perfect
    - leave the stock manifolds alone apart from port matching
    - you can go slightly larger on the exhaust, but it won't do much except reduce heat in the exhaust manifolds
    - once run in, use proper high spec detergent oils with Zinc additives and change every 7,500kms or 1 year, whichever comes first
    Just out of curiosity your LDV were it also the automatic C4 box?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man View Post
    Just out of curiosity your LDV were it also the automatic C4 box?
    no, 4 speed manual

C4 auto: add quite a few L/100
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    A 2l golf long block will outperform the v6, in stock trim they produce 110 kw and if you spend a little time and a few rand they turn in to monsters, but..... as Fransois said it was the go to engine for a long time from Land Rove to Kombis ran on the v6 rumble. Compared to a modern v6 they were not as powerful but if you compare to the 6g72 it delivers the same power but waaay more reliable

I would think twice before doing an engine transplant especially petrol to diesel. To start the ratios would have to be changed and regardless of how meticulous one works there are always teething troubles and reliability issues.
    Like they say in Afrikaans "is die kool die sous werd?"

Jelo is spot on with his change at 7500 and add Zink like comp additive, I thought zink was a well kept secret, it works exceptionally well, especially on older engines.

One critically important bit of info: If you do the heads the new gaskets have to be re torqued after 500km. If not prepare for failure after 550km
    Although dated the Essex were on par with power and torque of newer engines like the VG30 Nissan Hardbody. The Nissan Skylines produced 105kw and 209nm vs the 102kw and 236nm of the 3.0 Essex. The uprate Essex made 114kw.

I had a Cortina bakkie that I seriously upgraded. Right down from suspension, disc brakes, 3.23 diff ratio and too many engine upgrades to mention. We estimated power between 120 and 130kw. 323i BMW could not match it in drag races. Would run 190km/h every time. Clocked 200 on a speed day.

Have bolted the heads from an uprated engine with bigger valves fitted ported and gas flowed. Bigger Weber with cam from Richie Jude, 10:1 compression pistons, Steel timing gear, teardrop crank to name a few.

Always had the urge to build an Essex 4.0l Stroker. But yes that were the good old days. It is way easier to slip in a small block Ford v8 and make double the power and torque of an Essex.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/03/31 at 11:15 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Upgrade my 4x4 DC courier to a 3.5 l , easy job , crank and con-rods , think it will do good on a smaller and lighter cortina .
    Using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Upgrade my 4x4 DC courier to a 3.5 l , easy job , crank and con-rods , think it will do good on a smaller and lighter cortina .
    Basil Green made 170kw and 334nm from his 3.4 Essex Perana engines. Famous in the SapphIre and Sierra.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2