2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    DURBAN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    149
    Thanked: 15

    Default 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    30 minute review on the above vehicles. Short and sweet. Although the Everest was said to do well off-road it did not look like that to me.

    I will agree the Fortuner is a harsh ride as I own one and certainly Toyota could have made it softer as an suv,we also don't get heated seats.

    I'm not so sure if the Prado we have has the 2.8 motor as yet.

    https://youtu.be/rAmmwIkTa04
    SHABEER
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 auto.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 104

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Watched this last night on YouTube. Must say that I don't fully agree with their results. The winner is too expensive and as with the test with all the utes a few months ago my choice would be the same here. Best overall / most well rounded.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    137
    Thanked: 56

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    I also watched this, it seemed like they had already decided the Ford would win before they even started filming.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    75
    Posts
    2,949
    Thanked: 1135

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Many moons ago, before internet in the days of the stiffie discs, I had a neighbour who was a director at one of our large motor manufacturers. He showed me a stiffie that went into the glove box of a newly released car to be delivered to a motor magazine journalist who was due to do a road test for publication. Al the reporter had to do was take his own photos. Even acceleration and fuel consumption test figures were supplied with the script on the stiffy.

    Subsequent to that I do not have any faith in the objectivity of motor journalists. With hindsight I just need to recall how they raved about certain Chinese products when launched.

    But then, if they were to be brutally honest and objective they will probably be given the same treatment that Andrew St Pierre White received from local owners after he gave objective feedback on the way the Pajero scooped sand with its rear bumper in the dunes and the discomfort of the rear centre middle seat.
    *
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 104

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    Many moons ago, before internet in the days of the stiffie discs, I had a neighbour who was a director at one of our large motor manufacturers. He showed me a stiffie that went into the glove box of a newly released car to be delivered to a motor magazine journalist who was due to do a road test for publication. Al the reporter had to do was take his own photos. Even acceleration and fuel consumption test figures were supplied with the script on the stiffy.

    Subsequent to that I do not have any faith in the objectivity of motor journalists. With hindsight I just need to recall how they raved about certain Chinese products when launched.

    But then, if they were to be brutally honest and objective they will probably be given the same treatment that Andrew St Pierre White received from local owners after he gave objective feedback on the way the Pajero scooped sand with its rear bumper in the dunes and the discomfort of the rear centre middle seat.
    ...you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours...

    I know a guy know does online reviews as well. He isn't half as 'successful' (but that's okay, it's not his 9 - 5) as other local guys doing vehicle reviews, you know, the guys who always have new content and brand new models lined up at their doorstep for extended periods of time. This is simply because he does honest reviews. If there's a fault he'll point it out and likewise if there's something he really likes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richardsbay, KZN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    5,291
    Thanked: 12239

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    Many moons ago, before internet in the days of the stiffie discs, I had a neighbour who was a director at one of our large motor manufacturers. He showed me a stiffie that went into the glove box of a newly released car to be delivered to a motor magazine journalist who was due to do a road test for publication. Al the reporter had to do was take his own photos. Even acceleration and fuel consumption test figures were supplied with the script on the stiffy.

    Subsequent to that I do not have any faith in the objectivity of motor journalists. With hindsight I just need to recall how they raved about certain Chinese products when launched.

    But then, if they were to be brutally honest and objective they will probably be given the same treatment that Andrew St Pierre White received from local owners after he gave objective feedback on the way the Pajero scooped sand with its rear bumper in the dunes and the discomfort of the rear centre middle seat.
    Yup and he still gets gears over his honest review. The reason why he will never work with Mitsubishi again is because of the SA owners treatment of him.

    Journalists don't have it easy, write anything positive and you biased, write anything negative and you are biased. Well actually write anything and the peanut gallery will say never believe what car reviewers tell you.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    582
    Thanked: 258

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    I think it was a well balanced review but am I the only person that are gobsmacked about the Prado's pricing in Oz?

    I used R10.85 to the Aus dollar and this is what I got.

    They pay R618k for the top spec Pajero Sport and in SA it is R660k, a difference of R42k.

    Fortuner R629k vs our R713k - R84k MORE

    Everest R792k vs our R776k - R16k LESS

    Prado GXL R694k equal to the VX without air suspension. So lets deduct R60k for the suspension on the VX then we pay R950k for something similar. So we pay a whopping R256k MORE for the same car. To add insult to injury, this is for the new 2.8 engine and not the archaic 3.0.

    You must be smoking your socks not to choose the Prado in Oz (albeit a bit underpowered) but in SA you must be smoking your socks if you do pay Toyota's over inflated prices. At that price point the Prado should have nothing less than a proper V6 turbo diesel. Mind you even the Fortuner is overpriced by quite a bit in SA.

    The Ford Everest seems to be the bargain of the century in South Africa.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    √‾‾‾‾Ѵ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    436
    Thanked: 52

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    I think it was a well balanced review but am I the only person that are gobsmacked about the Prado's pricing in Oz?

    I used R10.85 to the Aus dollar and this is what I got.

    They pay R618k for the top spec Pajero Sport and in SA it is R660k, a difference of R42k.

    Fortuner R629k vs our R713k - R84k MORE

    Everest R792k vs our R776k - R16k LESS

    Prado GXL R694k equal to the VX without air suspension. So lets deduct R60k for the suspension on the VX then we pay R950k for something similar. So we pay a whopping R256k MORE for the same car. To add insult to injury, this is for the new 2.8 engine and not the archaic 3.0.

    You must be smoking your socks not to choose the Prado in Oz (albeit a bit underpowered) but in SA you must be smoking your socks if you do pay Toyota's over inflated prices. At that price point the Prado should have nothing less than a proper V6 turbo diesel. Mind you even the Fortuner is overpriced by quite a bit in SA.

    The Ford Everest seems to be the bargain of the century in South Africa.
    Thanks for doing the calculations, my thoughts exactly while watching the review.

    In SA toyota gets away with overcharging, due to the poor after sales service from all the rest.

    Everybody laughed when Ford said its a Prado competitor. Having owned a 2010 Prado before, I will take the Everest over the Prado every day. Tech, space, power delivery and ride quality offered by the Everest are all better than the Prado.
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B
    -----------------------------------------------

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJWM For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    94
    Thanked: 104

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    I've never owned any of these, not even a broken down 2nd hand version but my money (if I had any) goes to the Paj sport. Reasonably priced considering the other options and well enough balanced over different scenarios.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Age
    45
    Posts
    472
    Thanked: 304

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    I think it was a well balanced review but am I the only person that are gobsmacked about the Prado's pricing in Oz?

    I used R10.85 to the Aus dollar and this is what I got.

    They pay R618k for the top spec Pajero Sport and in SA it is R660k, a difference of R42k.

    Fortuner R629k vs our R713k - R84k MORE

    Everest R792k vs our R776k - R16k LESS

    Prado GXL R694k equal to the VX without air suspension. So lets deduct R60k for the suspension on the VX then we pay R950k for something similar. So we pay a whopping R256k MORE for the same car. To add insult to injury, this is for the new 2.8 engine and not the archaic 3.0.

    You must be smoking your socks not to choose the Prado in Oz (albeit a bit underpowered) but in SA you must be smoking your socks if you do pay Toyota's over inflated prices. At that price point the Prado should have nothing less than a proper V6 turbo diesel. Mind you even the Fortuner is overpriced by quite a bit in SA.

    The Ford Everest seems to be the bargain of the century in South Africa.
    The reason I suppose that I almost never see a fortuner on the roads here in Qld. If I’ve seen more than twenty in the wild id be surprised.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,260
    Thanked: 2781

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Over time I have learned which Journalists to take seriously. There are some of them that do really good articles. I have said some

    It is not only journalists that should take the blame but we ordinary people also. I have read and heard many stories of how good and fantastic certain vehicles are. Then came the opportunity to drive one or you 4x4 with them. You hear and read about the fantastic ride, its capability, the way it handles. After many of these drives I sometimes in person struggle to find the reasons why such a fuss had been made. I am 100% convinced if you blindfold people and take them for a ride in different 4x4`s they will not be able to identify in which vehicle they are traveling. They will not even be able to tell the difference between air and standard suspensions.

    Think that our expectations, personal preferences and experience sometimes blind real world facts. Think that it is the same with journalists. I have read an article on the recent Double Cab of the year shootout. The have included a V8 Land Cruiser v8. In my humble opinion the Cruiser should not have been in the competition as it were never build with the intention to be a luxury 4x4.

    Interesting is that although ranked low which I think it deserved, it seems that the journalists almost fight about its keys when they needed to test it. What you really like and what you say you like can be light years apart. We live in a high tech world and I think we including journalists are so afraid that people would see us as technical disadvantage if we do not embrace all the latest tech.

    Any way an interesting shoot.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/03/30 at 06:12 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,396
    Thanked: 324

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Think that our expectations, personal preferences and experience sometimes blind real world facts.
    Nail on head.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    739
    Thanked: 831

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    My BIL have owned 3 Prado's, starting with a 3.0 TX and then moving onto 4.0 VX's being the most current and the previous face lift models. I asked him if there was a significant difference between them, upon which he said that he preferred the power and smoothness of the petrol models but suspension wise there was no real advantage having the air suspension over the standard TX's.

    The air suspension over time could become troublesome as air suspensions tend to. I remember him throwing a huge wobbly at Toyota not long after he got the latest one, because the car was hanging ever so slightly over to one side, and this in a nearly R1m car!
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    31
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    My BIL have owned 3 Prado's, starting with a 3.0 TX and then moving onto 4.0 VX's being the most current and the previous face lift models. I asked him if there was a significant difference between them, upon which he said that he preferred the power and smoothness of the petrol models but suspension wise there was no real advantage having the air suspension over the standard TX's.

    The air suspension over time could become troublesome as air suspensions tend to. I remember him throwing a huge wobbly at Toyota not long after he got the latest one, because the car was hanging ever so slightly over to one side, and this in a nearly R1m car!
    I had 2 PRADO VX 150s and both of them leaned slightly! Common problem with the 150 called KDSS lean

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    √‾‾‾‾Ѵ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    436
    Thanked: 52

    Default Re: 2020 Australian review on the Fortuner, Everest, Pajero and Prado

    Quote Originally Posted by David1 View Post
    I had 2 PRADO VX 150s and both of them leaned slightly! Common problem with the 150 called KDSS lean
    I had a Prado TX150 3.0D4D if you drive down hill and then the surface change to flat or worst, slightly up hill the vehicle would stutter.

    Toyota replaced the propshaft, this did nothing. Turned out that it cut fuel supply, then when it comes back on it creates this stuttering. Back then the dealer said there's nothing they could do to fix it.
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B
    -----------------------------------------------

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •