Your Lockdown Projects

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your Lockdown Projects

So what are you doing to keep the creative juices going during the lockdown.

Please show off your project, it may just inspire us all.

I believe this is key to ward off cabin fever. Use what you have on hand. If you are like me you will be astounded by what you actually have. I found a pile of decking off cuts thats been around for ages.

So SWAMBO insisted she will be my appy on our first project, an indoor planter.She absolutely loved it and canít wait to tackle the next. It sure made the day fly by:

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Your Lockdown Projects

Sadly, apart from Reenen, no 4x4 builds?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Put a water tank up for the veggie garden (was standing on the koppie).
    Got 5m2 of garden soil delivered on Thursday and moved it, with my children's help, into the veggie garden with 2x 20 litre buckets.
    Shadenet was done afterwards. Infrastructure I've done 5 years ago.

Anything to keep the family busy. Start at 08:30 in the morning work until lunch time. Take a siesta, and continue at 14:00/15:00 until dark.

I have many of these small projects.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LdLL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LdLL View Post
    Put a water tank up for the veggie garden (was standing on the koppie).
    Got 5m2 of garden soil delivered on Thursday and moved it, with my children's help, into the veggie garden with 2x 20 litre buckets.
    Shadenet was done afterwards. Infrastructure I've done 5 years ago.

Anything to keep the family busy. Start at 08:30 in the morning work until lunch time. Take a siesta, and continue at 14:00/15:00 until dark.

I have many of these small projects.

Very impressive. I'll have to dream for now. I've got enough yard space to flick my entjie into the dirt pile.

This is what I've been doing the last two weeks....

I made a grid for the back of my Patrol, between the rear shelf of the drawer system and the passenger area.

I had some "Clear Vu" material left from a previous project, so I used that on a 22 x 22mm sq tube frame, hinged on a 25 x 25mm x 1.6mm angle outer frame. This enables me to open it from the inside. The barrel bolts (From 4X4 Direct) is set up to self lact when I close the grid.

I manage to get it powder coated last week Monday and fitted it on Tuesday.

I am moving most of the electrical stuff from the underside of the shelf onto the grid, to make it more visible and accessible. So far I have only moved the DC to DC charger and the USB multi-plug charger. I still have to see what else I want on the outside of the grid. I will also mount some stuff on the inside of the grid, there is a 50mm space between the shelf and the grid.

But I have hit a snag, with the buggering around I have popped the two 30a (green) bigger blade type fuses on the WRND charger, I only have 25a (yellow) fuses at home. I tried them, and discovered that the warning on the WRND to only use 30A fuses is there for a reason, the 25a fuses pop about 10 seconds after the charger starts charging, after I start the vehicle.

With the current shutdown, I would imagine it would be impossible to find an open Spares Shop here in Kensington or Malvern East to get some 30a fuses..... I will try the little PnP shop at the BP Filling station on Broadway when I go and buy fresh bread on Monday, they have a few shelves of emergency spares, like fuses, radiator caps brake fluid and the like. That is if they have not cordoned that shelf off like they did at the Bedford PnP. All their hardware, wine, kitchenware and clothing shelves are cordoned off with red and white bunting/emergency type tape.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRID - Grid closed.jpg 
Views:	1261 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	563751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRID - The grid can be opened to access the shelf from inside the vehicle.jpg 
Views:	1089 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	563752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRID - Items now fitted for easy access and checking..jpg 
Views:	1113 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	563753  
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/03/28 at 11:55 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post

I made a grid for the back of my Patrol, between the rear shelf of the drawer system and the passenger area.

I had some "Clear Vu" material left from a previous project, so I used that on a 22 x 22mm sq tube frame, hinged on a 25 x 25mm x 1.6mm angle outer frame. This enables me to open it from the inside. The barrel bolts (From 4X4 Direct) is set up to self lact when I close the grid.

I am moving most of the electrical stuff from the underside of the shelf onto the grid, to make it more visible and accessible. So far I have only moved the DC to DC charger and the USB multi-plug charger. I still have to see what else I want on the outside of the grid. I will also mount some stuff on the inside of the grid, there is a 50mm space between the shelf and the grid.

But I have hit a snag, with the buggering around I have popped the two 30a (green) bigger blade type fuses on the WRND charger, I only have 25a (yellow) fuses at home. I tried them, and discovered that the warning on the WRND to only use 30A fuses is there for a reason, the 25a fuses pop about 10 seconds after the charger starts charging, after I start the vehicle.

With the current shutdown, I would imagine it would be impossible to find an open Spares Shop here in Kensington or Malvern East to get some 30a fuses..... I will try the little PnP shop at the BP Filling station on Broadway when I go and buy fresh bread on Monday, they have a few shelves of emergency spares, like fuses, radiator caps brake fluid and the like. That is if they have not cordoned that shelf off like they did at the Bedford PnP. All their hardware, wine, kitchenware and clothing shelves are cordoned off with red and white bunting/emergency type tape.....
    Looking good

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LdLL For This Useful Post:

Hi, haven't tried this myself, but just an idea, if you get any old 30A fuse from an old stove, UPS, Computer box, you name it, just take that fuse wire and solder it onto your 30A (or the broken 25A one), broken blade type fuse?
    Last edited by Thysticles; 2020/04/14 at 06:56 AM.

DagsÍ, besig om my XL600R aanmekaar te sit.

As iemand iets van XLs soek daar is 'n Website: www.hxl.it, gaan kyk gerus.

Groete

Henk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL600R_1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	566864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL600R_2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	566865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL600R_3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	566866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL600R_4.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	566867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL600R_5.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	566868  
    Last edited by heoosthuizen; 2020/04/14 at 12:02 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to heoosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thysticles View Post
    Hi, haven't tried this myself, but just an idea, if you get any old 30A fuse from an old stove, UPS, Computer box, you name it, just take that fuse wire and solder it onto your 30A (or the broken 25A one), broken blade type fuse?
    I though of that but have no fuse wire, I chucked that out about 20 years ago as I no longer had use for that, and with the lockdown........ need I say more?
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Thysticles View Post
    Ha!!! found the problem!!!

Chinese 30a fuses are not 30A, they are somewhat below 30a. Fitted a decent locally made (could perhaps be German or even Taiwanese - it was older fuses) 30a fuse and the problem is solved. When I fitted one of them, it did not blow again.

You could see the quality difference, and from the start the fuse wire in these Midas sourced fuses seemed a lot lighter than the wire that burnt.

So these Chinese models are under spec, they could just as well only have blown at 35 or 40 amps, setting my car on fire in the process. Thank goodness....
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Give me a shout if you still need fuses. I have lots and I'm not far from you. I'll send you a PM.
    Last edited by Paul#25; 2020/04/14 at 12:44 PM.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyíre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Give me a shout if you still need fuses. I have lots and I'm not far from you. I'll send you a PM.
    Thanx Paul!

Enjoy the rest of your day.... I will keep you in the loop.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Very impressive. I'll have to dream for now. I've got enough yard space to flick my entjie into the dirt pile.
    I've got nowhere to flick an entjie, stuck in a 3rd floor flat, in Belgium. So Swambo and I are busy building a recipe website we've been promising ourselves to build for the last 3 years, at least it's going to be her 'baby', because although I can braai a piece of vleis like any saffa, I barely know how much salt and pepper to put on my fried eggs. Will share it when we launch it maybe this weekend, because we all still have to eat.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/03/31 at 07:00 PM.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Started a few days before the lockdown already, but thankfully got 99.9% of the bits and pieces together before all the shops closed. Diy Solar installation at home:

Still have to earth everything, connect the solar panels and batteries to the victron system and the victron system to the main DB. Now we are off the grid regarding water and electricity also, the above layout is version 1, Iíll move it around and neaten it up when the shops open again, need some more 35mm2 cable for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Started a few days before the lockdown already, but thankfully got 99.9% of the bits and pieces together before all the shops closed. Diy Solar installation at home:

Still have to earth everything, connect the solar panels and batteries to the victron system and the victron system to the main DB. Now we are off the grid regarding water and electricity also, the above layout is version 1, I’ll move it around and neaten it up when the shops open again, need some more 35mm2 cable for that.
    Neat.

On those two red wires to inverters...maybe some black masking tape round negative one to avoid later confusion. Where it leaves and enters
    Last edited by Prof; 2020/03/29 at 06:24 PM.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it." -Ronald Reagan.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=MrTolbos;4357155]Started a few days before the lockdown already, but thankfully got 99.9% of the bits and pieces together before all the shops closed. Diy Solar installation at home:
    Hi Tolbos, congratulations on a very neat PV solar installation!
    What batteries do you use? Reason asking, I am building a lithium powerwall.

[QUOTE=Abe53;4358067]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Where do you het your Lithium battries from

Default Your Lockdown Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Abe53 View Post
    Thanks Abe. Unfortunately I had to skip the lithium for now. I was hoping to buy 6x pylontech's when the next shipment arrive again, but Iíll rather wait until the exchange rate comes back to earth.

For now Iím using 4x Deltec AGM 100Ah batteries, which is way too little, but itís already saving 70% of our daily consumption. At least we will be able to skip through the next bombardment of loadshedding, when ever it starts again.

Last edited by MrTolbos; 2020/04/04 at 08:01 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Busy making a rocket stove

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200403_135924.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	581.1 KB 
ID:	564994
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 D/C Auto
    2018 Ford Everest 2.2 XLS 2x4 auto (SWAMBO)
    Echo 4 trailer

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisH For This Useful Post:

Wow, amazing, My electrical knowledge is zilch, how can I setup something similar. I currently do have an invertor with batteries for loadshedding

Still have to earth everything, connect the solar panels and batteries to the victron system and the victron system to the main DB. Now we are off the grid regarding water and electricity also, the above layout is version 1, Iíll move it around and neaten it up when the shops open again, need some more 35mm2 cable for that.[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast