So I bought a Milling Machine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default So I bought a Milling Machine

Part 1 will be getting it home, cleaning it up and getting it functional. Looks like a bit of a dog's breakfast at present, but nothing a good wire brushing and a lick of paint can resolve.

The machine is a Swedish made Arboga U2508, and has seen very little use in its life, with absolutely no play anywhere. Had obviously been converted at some stage as the specs on the machine state it is a 380V, 3 phase machine, but it is actually 220V single phase.

Super excited to get it home and start playing.

Default Re: So I bought a Milling Machine

Today (Nov 4 2019) has been a day of mixed reactions, and reminded me very much of the "Aahh - Yay" game we used to play at school. You know the one ...

We're going to the pub - YAY!
    But the pub only opens at 10 - Aah
    But it's already 5 past 10 - YAY!
    You may only have one drink -Ahh
    But it comes in a bucket - YAY!
    But there's a hole in the bucket -Ahh
    But the hole's at the top - YAY!

And so it goes on and on.

So the milling machine came home on my trailer today - YAY!
    But now it's stuck on the trailer because it's too heavy for me to get off on my own -Ahh
    But I have a mate that can help me - YAY!
    But he can only help me tomorrow -Ahh
    But I can play with it on the trailer -YAY!

So I plug it in and turn the power on and bingo, it fires up. But the motor takes a long time to spin up.
    Now it was advertised as a single phase machine, it has a normal 3 prong plug on the cord, and it does spin up, but not properly, especially not in the higher rpm gears -AAhh

I scratch around some more and find the metal tag in the side of the machine which states "380V 3 phase" Now I hate things that are modified and butchered, so here I have an originally 380V 3 phase machine that has been butchered and had a single phase motor fitted. So I scratch around some more, remove the front panel and the motor cover, and discover that the original 380V 3 phase motor is still in place, and has just been wired with capacitors to be able to run on single phase. - YAY!

So I can wire it back up the way it originally was so that it runs properly, but I don't have 3 phase power on my premises. - Ahh

But ... " title="Evil" class="smiley" style="vertical-align: bottom; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(233, 217, 169);"> more to follow tomorrow ...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

This weekend I started stripping the mill. First off was the bed. All the bare metal surfaces are covered in a this film of rust, which I am cleaning up as I go along. This is the bed.

After a little cleaning, the shiny metal starts to appear.

This machine appears to have had numerous run-ins with an endmill. It has been repaired all over ...

... except for one hole that is directly in the center T-Slot, and which goes all the way through until the tool eventually met the thread. Now this machine doesn't have an autofeed, so whoever was operating the machine at the time had to be doing this manually.

I cleaned the hole up and have plugged it with a "Fast Steel" putty from Wurth. Fortunately it is not in a critical area, and the plug just needs to prevent the metal chips getting to the thread.

Here is a shot of the underside, showing how far the hole goes through.

And the damage to the thread.

The machine at this point is looking a little anorexic.

The completed bed. Underside, with its new coat of paint.

The center of the pic is where I repaired the slot. The arrows are 3 previous repairs.

And the top, all cleaned up and oiled waiting to go back on.

[/quote]
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/28 at 02:11 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

Pedestal all clean and ready for a new coat of paint.

And the new coat of paint

[/quote]

I said I wasn't going to go this extreme, but then, as usual, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and did it anyway.

Good news is that my DRO kit arrived, so now just to get some custom brackets laser cut and then I can start the re-assembly.

I also in the meantime made a pedestal from some scrap I had lying around. Adds 200mm to the height of the machine, just so that I won't have to stand on my knees to work on the machine. That is it you can see just above the DRO in the pic above.

So, with everything cleaned up and resprayed, the time has come for me see whether I can remember how it all goes back together.

Here is a little "Before and After" from the weekend.

Before

And After

The more I am working on this machine, the more I am finding wrong. It has become evident that the machine has been dropped somewhere in it life, and rather badly repaired, and reassembled even worse.

When I dismantled it I came across many nuts/bolts/capscrews that were only finger tight. I gave it little thought at the time, but during the reassembly I have discovered why. Tightening up the bolts to the handbook spec locks various components so that they cannot move. :angry4:

For example, the piece in the pic above. The quill moves freely up and down on its own. However, as soon as the screws for the handwheel for the fine movement are tightened, the quill gets stuck and will not budge. I have had to shim everything from scratch. Painstaking but I think in the end I will have a decent enough machine to work with.

I also decided to turn the turret through 90, placing the gearbox handle on the LHS of the machine and the locks out of the way in the rear. Initially the gearbox handle was at the rear against the wall, (making it difficult to raise and lower the turret) and the locks to the RHS, where the lock levers interfered with the bed.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/28 at 02:17 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

Looks like a fantastic machine, pity about the previous operators.

It will keep you busy...

The machine is now looking (and working) a whole lot better than it was a few weeks ago. I have in the interim received the DRO kit, and today the custom bracket that I had laser cut also arrived. So now it is basically another partial stripdown to attach the DRO scales correctly, and then reassemble finally.

During the reassembly I found quite a few parts missing, and others, which were obviously lost or broken at some stage just replaced with makeshift hand cut/filed chunks of metal. I will still need to make 3 stops for the bed. There is only one original, one handmade out of a piece of angle iron, and 2 completely missing.

This morning I had to make these 3 little brass "buttons" which go behind and create the tension on the graduated collar of the Y axis handwheel.

Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/28 at 02:20 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

Santa delivered my DRO just before Xmas so, with a bit of McGyvering and some custom laser cut brackets, I have started fitting the scales.

The X-Axis scale fitted. (The bed has been removed and inverted to make the installation easier) The entire scale is positioned at about 45.

The Y-Axis bracket fitted.

And the Y-Axis Scale fitted.

Now to do the brackets for the Z-Axis, which is a little more complicated. In hindsight, I should have ordered slimline scales all round, but these are almost R800 extra/scale. X and Y axis have standard scales and the Z-Axis will be a slimline scale.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/28 at 02:22 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

It looks pretty solid.You sure have kept yourself busy with it.Looks new. Where did you get the dro.?
    Do you have any cutter holders for it. How do you hold a cutter in it because there does not seem to be a drawbar of sorts.

When you say the spindle needed machining what did you have to do to it.?
    Looks like in the one pic of your garage that you have far too much space.What are your plans for the mill?
    I would be careful when you buy a vfd to make sure you can run the original motor on it.

It looks pretty solid.You sure have kept yourself busy with it.Looks new. Where did you get the dro.?Do you have any cutter holders for it. How do you hold a cutter in it because there does not seem to be a drawbar of sorts.When you say the spindle needed machining what did you have to do to it.?Looks like in the one pic of your garage that you have far too much space.What are your plans for the mill?I would be careful when you buy a vfd to make sure you can run the original motor on it.

Very good work!

One of the machines on my list

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaasBakkie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    It looks pretty solid.You sure have kept yourself busy with it.Looks new. Where did you get the dro.?Do you have any cutter holders for it. How do you hold a cutter in it because there does not seem to be a drawbar of sorts.When you say the spindle needed machining what did you have to do to it.?Looks like in the one pic of your garage that you have far too much space.What are your plans for the mill?I would be careful when you buy a vfd to make sure you can run the original motor on it.
    The DRO is from China, but the decent SINO unit.

The milling cutters fit into an ER collet chuck that is just an MT3 taper fit. Unfortunately no drawbar. In the pics, the ER collet chuck has been removed.

As stated earlier, the machine appears to have been dropped, as there is evidence of damage on quite a few places. Unfortunately it would appear that it was dropped while either a collet chuck or drill chuck was fitted, and this also took a knock, which resulted in the very end of the spindle bending. Without any chuck fitted, the taper had about .2mm runout. A friend of mine that has an engineering shop straightened it and ground the taper to get rid of the runout. Much better now.

Yeah, I have lots of space! This pic taken 2/3 of the way down. Area where the cars park still behind me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170408_113735.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	563734

Plans for the mill? Well, I repair Dual Sport bikes for a living, so am always manufacturing stuff. I have a lathe, oxy/acetylene set, tig welder (AC/DC), compressor, 12 Ton hydraulic press, tyre changing machine, etc, etc so why not a milling machine? It beats having to run out to an engineering shop with every little job I need to do, trying to explain what I need, hoping that they are going to get it right the first time, and then waiting weeks for the job to get done.

The VFD took quite a bit of research. But basically, as long as the motor is wired Delta, most VFDs will drive it, provided you get the voltages right.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/30 at 07:12 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

You and me are so different. I am a hoarder. In my workshop you cant see the floor. Sino seems to be a good brand. What did you pay for it. ?I want to get a dro for my lathe but never pulled the trigger.What company did you get it from?

I am suprized that there is no locking mechanism like a drawbar for that mill.
    Morse taper three is fine on a drill press but for side forces I would think it could easily pull the taper loose.

That is a damn fine looking workshop you got. Looks like you can eat off the floor.So is your motor 240/400v? Ive seen some 380v motors with a cap on to induce a phase shift to get it going but they run at much reduced power and are noisey.

I have a chinese motor that I cant change from star to delta and is rated at 380v that I am running through a vfd and it seems to work fine.If you are going to get a chinese vfd please let me know how it performs. I want to get one for my drill press .

I nearly bought one of these at an auction but it was not the mill drill but rather the drill. What I do remember is the motor did not have the ability to be changed from star to delta. I dont know why but I think it was a 440v motor,probably only able to run on genuine 380v.I was concerned that it would not work on a vfd and so I did not bid on it.

I know these machines where beasts in a small footprint because as an appy we had some. I think they used what is called an auto clark end mill holder, so it wasnt Er but could only hold a threaded end mill.
    The tapered body was locked to the spindle via a capnut of sorts.Otherwise the taper would pull out with side forces . This was not a problem with plain up and down drilling.
    I might be wrong its a long time ago.

The machine has what is aparently known as a Dahlander Motor, which is wired like so. Forgive me if I get this wrong, but what I know about 3-phase motors is dangerous to say the least.

It is a 2 speed motor, so low speed is connected like this (Delta)

And at the flick of the switch, high speed like this (Star)

It is a straight 380V 3phase motor, so wired to the VFD in Delta only. I have left the wiring for the second speed disconnected.

The VFD is also from China, purchased via Aliexpress. Will post the link when I can find it. Thus far it works like a charm. Full speed control with instant forward and reverse.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/29 at 10:43 AM.

Sino seems to be a good brand. What did you pay for it. ?I want to get a dro for my lathe but never pulled the trigger.What company did you get it from?

I have a chinese motor that I cant change from star to delta and is rated at 380v that I am running through a vfd and it seems to work fine.If you are going to get a chinese vfd please let me know how it performs. I want to get one for my drill press .
    If the motor is already running through a VFD, it will be wired Delta. I do not know of any VFDs that can drive a Star motor.
    This is the VFD model I purchased. Will post the links when I at my PC again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1288237073-1874255365.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	563777
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/29 at 10:59 AM.

I am electrically challenged . I have a three phase motor on a bandsaw that is only 380v. It will not run off 240v. But it does work on my vfd.
    It will be interesting to know what differs if its run on 240v and not 380v. Does it grunt and make noises or get hotter than normal.

I am electrically challenged . I have a three phase motor on a bandsaw that is only 380v. It will not run off 240v. But it does work on my vfd.
    It will be interesting to know what differs if its run on 240v and not 380v. Does it grunt and make noises or get hotter than normal.
    I did connect a 220V 3phase VFD to the mill. It sort of attempted to turn the motor and then gave me an error. Whether it was a fautly VFD I do not know, but I sent it back and replaced it with this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...72b64c4dQz6DrW Drives the mill 100%.

And this is the link for the DRO: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3246...27424c4dGRa7hz
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/03/29 at 03:01 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

Thats very interesting.Ive never seen that before. I thought it was always single phase 240 v in three phase 240 v out.
    How does it convert 240v to 380v without an in built step up transformer.?
    What did they cost each and did they arrive quick and do you get it in the same parcel.

Are they glass scales

Thats very interesting.Ive never seen that before. I thought it was always single phase 240 v in three phase 240 v out.
    How does it convert 240v to 380v without an in built step up transformer.?
    What did they cost each and did they arrive quick and do you get it in the same parcel.

Are they glass scales

I really have no idea how they generate 380V from 220V!

VFD was around R1300 and DRO about R3600. Different suppliers, so different packages. The DRO is however 2 parcels on the same waybill/tracking number. DRO, from the supplier in the link above, takes about 2 weeks. VFD about 8 - 10 weeks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast