So I bought a Milling Machine - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: So I bought a Milling Machine

So I eventually got the DRO properly mounted and connected, thanks to lockdown.

Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/04/05 at 02:07 PM.
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    So I eventually got the DRO properly mounted and connected, thanks to lockdown.

Very nice . How much y axis did you lose because of the scales. Also that looks like an ER system and not the autolock system they normally come out with.I would like to put one on my lathe.Just not sure how to measure and secondly how to find it and pay on the net.Never done it.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Very nice . How much y axis did you lose because of the scales. Also that looks like an ER system and not the autolock system they normally come out with.I would like to put one on my lathe.Just not sure how to measure and secondly how to find it and pay on the net.Never done it.
    Yes, ER. I unfortunately got the machine without the original autolock, and ER was a relatively cheap solution.

No travel is lost with the addition of the scales. Basically provide the supplier with the measurements of the current travel and they will provide the correct length scales.

I have posted the link for the DRO in a previous post. Just set up a PayPal account and pay via PayPal.
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Yes, ER. I unfortunately got the machine without the original autolock, and ER was a relatively cheap solution.

No travel is lost with the addition of the scales. Basically provide the supplier with the measurements of the current travel and they will provide the correct length scales.

I have posted the link for the DRO in a previous post. Just set up a PayPal account and pay via PayPal.
    I lost about 20mm on mine but Its more important what I will lose on my lathe. I would like to put it on the tailstock side of the carriage as its more protected their. But then you lose tailstock distance. Apparently the magnetic scales although more expensive are not as bulky.

I need to do it once and then I wont feel so intimidated. I have only learnt how to pay via internet so I am extremely tech challenged.
    What ER system are you using.?How is it locked into the morse taper ?

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I lost about 20mm on mine but Its more important what I will lose on my lathe. I would like to put it on the tailstock side of the carriage as its more protected their. But then you lose tailstock distance. Apparently the magnetic scales although more expensive are not as bulky.

I need to do it once and then I wont feel so intimidated. I have only learnt how to pay via internet so I am extremely tech challenged.
    What ER system are you using.?How is it locked into the morse taper ?
    When you order the DRO, you give them the length of your travel, and they provide the correct length scale. You also have a choice to go for the "Slimline scale" which is, although more expensive, really small. Will post a pic of the size. The brackets supplied with the scales I have found to be pretty useless, and have on both machines, made my own.

I am using a straight MT3 ER25 collet chuck on the mill. Not ideal as the MT does not like lateral forces. It is however in there pretty tight and haven't had a problem with it yet.

As far as payment goes, set up a PayPal account. When checking out with your purchase, select PayPal as your payment option. It will then direct you to the PayPal site where you will log in and approve the payment. Really simple and easy.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/04/06 at 08:17 AM.
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_081833.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	565258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_081849.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	565259  
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3