Fortuner Hi from a new Fortuner owner and a few questions

Question Hi from a new Fortuner owner and a few questions

Hi all

Thought I would introduce myself. I have always wanted a SUV and in particular a Fortuner. Was put off by the old models, given them being on the "shopping list", but finally took the plunge to buy one second hand, a 2016 2.4 GD AT RB with about 65k on the clock at a good price i reckon. In very good nick so very chuffed, childhood goal of getting a bakkie or SUV achieved, and black leather seats as well for the win. My previous vehicle was a Nissan Livina X-Gear so very much inexperienced when it comes to SUVs/bakkies etc.

As a new owner I have some questions, apologies if they are a bit silly or if I am being naive - I have tried google but to not much avail.

1) Tyre pressure
    The vehicle came with very much brand new General Grabber AT3's ( 265/65/17) but I am a little unsure on the correct tyre pressure. The Fortuner manual says 2 bars but after putting in 2 bars they look a little flattish. Pics are attached but they are not too great. I live in Durban btw. Found this thread ->https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...T-VS-AT3/page3

One member suggests 2.2 all round, another 2.3 all round and 2.6 when loaded, another says 2.4 front and 2.6 rear. 2.7 spare. So overall a little confused

2) Tires - air or Nitrogen
    The tires came with Nitrogen I assume (has the green caps) - is it recommended that I keep them as is or just fill with normal air? How often would i need to top up with Nitrogen at sea level? on thh TWT site it says around 6 months. Do i need to go to a tire place like TWT or do some of the bigger petrol stations do Nitrogen? I live in Westville and work in Hillcrest so if anyone Durban local knows where to go for Nitrogen i would appreciate it.

3) New headunit
    Fortunately the previous owner put in rear PDC and a front and rear camera. The current radio is the bog standard radio that comes with the 2.4 so will need a new head unit that will work with both the cameras, definitely the steering controls and bluetooth for the phone calls and music. Apple carplay/mirror and navigation would be a nice bonus but not too phased at the moment for that.
    Can anyone recommend a particular unit? Bonus if you point me to a particular installer in Durban. Would prefer a reputable brand if possible -> not a China generic special
    The Planetworld and OneNav radios are a little out of the price range unfortunately.
    Found the below as a potential...
    http://www.soundslimited.co.za/index...oducts_id=3885

4) Still trying to get my head around the fuel range etc. but my running average is around 9L/100km (I live in Westville but work up the hill in Hillcrest for the Durban folk on here). I keep it on Eco mode for the daily work drive and probably average 100km on the M13 (provided there isn't too much traffic) with some stop start driving closer to work.
    After I filled the tank my max range on the car computer was only around 667km as I drove out the station which didn't make sense to me. Does this range exclude the reserve tank? I thought I read somewhere that the reserve tank is 16L so 64L for the normal tank. If my math is correct that gives around 711km at the 9L average on the 64L. Not sure if my math is off or if i am missing something really basic here..
    Have not had a chance to do an open road drive yet as i only got the vehicle last week and with the Covid lockdown i wont be able to anytime soon.

Overall very happy with the vehicle - came with lots of extras which was really cool (nudge bar, tow bar with step, black leather seats, PDC and the 2 cameras) so saved a bit of money not needing to put all of that on. I must say I am converted and can happily say i will drive a Fortuner for the rest of my days
    Once the lockdown is lifted i plan on taking it for a service as it is due for one where i will put on the spare wheel lock as it does not have one at the moment

Thanks all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	563348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	563349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	563350  

Default Re: Hi from a new Fortuner owner and a few questions

Range is calculated using historical consumption. After about three tanks with consistent style, the range will reflect what you will get. Mine calculates for 65 litres, working on a 15 litre "reserve".

I run mine on 2,5 bar on tar and 2,0 on gravel. Personal preference, no scientific research. The higher the pressure, the less the rolling resistance (to a point). Optimum tyre life suffers for better fuel consumption, as does comfort. You find the your optimum pressure.

Nitrogen: air is about 70% nitrogen. The much smaller oxygen (20%?) leaks out the tyre a lot quicker than the nitrogen. I pump with air (small compressor a lot more convenient to carry around than a nitrogen tank. after a week I top op the 20% loss of oxygen and after a week the other 4%, now sitting with more than 90% nitrogen without paying for it.
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarOne For This Useful Post:

We have a 2016 2.4GD6 RB manual fortuner with 95 000km on
    Running 265/65R17 Velocity Raptors AT at 2 bar
    At almost 4 years we running at an average 10.8kml that's mix driving and some towing
    Coming from a ford ranger to the fortuner I am really happy with the fortuner although my wife drives it most of the time
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Haggy4x4Bedinges For This Useful Post:

Those Raptors are good tyres
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobDBN View Post
    1) Tyre pressure
    The vehicle came with very much brand new General Grabber AT3's ( 265/65/17) but I am a little unsure on the correct tyre pressure. The Fortuner manual says 2 bars but after putting in 2 bars they look a little flattish. Pics are attached but they are not too great.
    I have the same rubber on my 2.8 and do 2.0 bar with no load. I do adjust it upward when loaded or when towing my Echo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDBN View Post
    Does this range exclude the reserve tank? I thought I read somewhere that the reserve tank is 16L so 64L for the normal tank.
    In MY experience, range will go to 0 km when you still have approx 4l left in the tank, so normally at ~74l *Use this info at your own risk*
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/03/27 at 08:28 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Thanks Gents, guess I'll play around with the pressure between 2 and 2.4bar.
    I drive only eco mode with no heavy foot so whatever the range is, it is what it is. Have no intention of putting the range to the test. Will refill when it gets to half or quarter full.

Hi, also have a new Fortuner 2.4 AT RB and run tyres on 2 bar. My fuel consumption is sitting at 8.2l/100km and have done 2860km to date. I spend most of the time on Eco mode and some of the time on Power Mode. I have realized that Power Mode gives me good power but without the huge consumption I expected. In fact the consumption has stayed at 8.2 even when I'm using Power mode.

The vehicle is my dream car and it has been good so far. No rattles, no issues at all. It is amazing.

Thats my two cents based on my experience and I hope it helps

So just to complete the thread.

After a fair amount of reading, phoning etc. I settled on a JVC headunit for the car. The OneNav unit was just too expensive. I did find a Blaupunkt specific to Toyota Fortuner but for a little more I could get a lot more value out of the JVC (apple carplay etc.). Settled on this -? http://ae.jvc.com/car/av_receiver/kw_m750btm/
    Was not keen on the no name brand Android units to be honest.
    Integrates with steering wheel so all functions retained. When i press the voice button on the steering wheel Siri/Apple Car play will kick in which is nice.

Unfortunately the cameras on the car didn't work with the unit (different connectors apparently) so have to go back for the rear camera.

I did however fund a rust bubble on the roof of the car now which has completely ruined my day, very bummed about it. Going to have to get it fixed ASAP